Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 01:13 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,290,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverBlack View Post
That's an extreme case, the true climate is here and, why not? March is clearly winter, and April is clearly spring. Even Brandon, Manitoba is like that.

Why do you think that? Weyburn, Saskatchewan is an example. Look at April. Average high: 11.2 °C
Average low: -1.9 °C

Is that winter? Definitely not.
Is that summer? Definitely not.
Is it spring? Undoubtedly.

That would be an extremely cool spring month though, 5c average is what we get in February and our February is hardly spring even though we usually get mild days.

That said, the average high is relatively mild and the days must be long so it must be a strange feeling. We do not get months with such a high diurnal range in the winter time (when we have those means), yet our April has a similar range (but is much milder).

That's a transitional month for me. May in Weyburn is definitely spring though, so it goes to show that this kind of climate has very short springs. I would say that November to March is full winter mode, April is transitional and so is october (which looks more like a november to me).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 01:18 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverBlack View Post
I tend to consider the actual temperatures more important.

I'd consider more "four seasonal" a climate that has -10 °C averages in January and +20 °C in July (30 °C difference) rather than a place who has -30 °C in January and +5 °C in July (35 °C difference).
Yes, but that wouldn't be a continental climate but a polar one. I meant only in (Cfa)/Dfa/Dfb/Dfc climates.

Old 06-17-2016, 01:18 PM

5,271 posts, read 4,680,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
That would be an extremely cool spring month though, 5c average is what we get in February and our February is hardly spring even though we usually get mild days.

That said, the average high is relatively mild and the days must be long so it must be a strange feeling. We do not get months with such a high diurnal range in the winter time (when we have those means), yet our April has a similar range (but is much milder).

That's a transitional month for me. May in Weyburn is definitely spring though, so it goes to show that this kind of climate has very short springs. I would say that November to March is full winter mode, April is transitional and so is october (which looks more like a november to me).
Weyburn is just a specimen, there are plenty of different "four season climates".

What do you think about, for instance, Plentywood, Montana?

Old 06-17-2016, 01:19 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost-likin View Post
Nowhere in Southern Hemisphere have an True 4 season climate,or its only Summer-Autumn-Spring or Winter-Spring-Autumn.
Not true. Summer and winter both see temperatures plateau, which is the exact opposite of spring and autumn.

Old 06-17-2016, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Not true. Summer and winter both see temperatures plateau, which is the exact opposite of spring and autumn.
Maybe "four seasons" for NH standards? If that, okay.

El Bolsón isn't a bad example, considering the location.

Old 06-17-2016, 01:25 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,363,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post

It's an undoubtedly a spring month there though. An average high of 10 C is certainly spring when your average high is -10 C in January and 26 C in July. If you lived in Saskatchewan you wouldn't think a high of 10 C is spring? You couldn't mistake April for January there.

Old 06-17-2016, 01:25 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,325,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Do you mean Watertown, rather than Waterton?

If so, Watertown looks like having a very clearly defined spring.
Its March is like January in NYC. Clearly it's not spring, March is very much a winter month, and its April is like an average January in Perpignan. It's not a four season climate, it's a three season climates

Old 06-17-2016, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Its March is like January in NYC. Clearly it's not spring, March is very much a winter month, and its April is like an average January in Perpignan. It's not a four season climate, it's a three season climates
Why do you think there's a fall in that climate, as opposed to not being a spring there? Is fall any different?

Old 06-17-2016, 01:30 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Ok, so. Rotterdam is a two-season climate: spring and autumn. Turku is a three-season climate: winter-spring-autumn. Right?

Old 06-17-2016, 01:32 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,363,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Lol, just because it doesn't fall into your narrow little definition of a four season climate doesn't mean it's not. It's stupid to say Watertown isn't a four season climate. I bet you think Savannah is more of a four season climate lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather