Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has a better collection of climates?
The state of Texas 23 29.87%
The country of Japan 54 70.13%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 10:18 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,216,608 times

Advertisements

Japan for the higher precipitation and lower sunshine. Texas is way too hot and sunny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 10:23 AM

198 posts, read 189,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Japan for the higher precipitation and lower sunshine. Texas is way too hot and sunny.
Not all of it.

Old 06-26-2016, 10:28 AM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,004,102 times
Japan fo being wetter and cooler,with its lush forests,it have some of the perfects climates in the world.

Old 06-26-2016, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake&Bake View Post
Not all of it.
Yes, all of it is too hot and sunny IMO.

Old 06-26-2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Yes, all of it is too hot and sunny IMO.
Places in Southeast Texas, such as Houston/Beaumont/Port Arthur aren't that sunny annually. Neither are other Gulf Coast cities in the state (Brownsville, Corpus Christi, etc).

Average highs for all these cities in the summer are only low 90s tops, and with very strong Gulf breezes to cool things down.

Old 06-26-2016, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Places in Southeast Texas, such as Houston/Beaumont/Port Arthur aren't that sunny annually. Neither are other Gulf Coast cities in the state (Brownsville, Corpus Christi, etc).
Pretty much anything above 2,000 hours annually is too sunny for me. The sun is stronger down there and the Gulf Coast is way too humid.

Only low 90s? I can barely deal with the low-to-mid 80s here. My ideal summers would be around 70 F/21 C.

Old 06-26-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Pretty much anything above 2,000 hours annually is too sunny for me. The sun is stronger down there and the Gulf Coast is way too humid.

Only low 90s? I can barely deal with the low-to-mid 80s here. My ideal summers would be around 70 F/21 C.
I think I've read on a thread on this forum that US sunshine hours are overestimated. If that is the case, then all of the US appears sunnier than it really is; you just might see sunshine hours dip down to 2,000 or below in some of these Gulf Coast locales.

The low 90s on the Texas coast aren't that bad, because while humidity is present, wind speeds are very high, some of the highest in the US.

Old 06-26-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
I think I've read on a thread on this forum that US sunshine hours are overestimated. If that is the case, then all of the US appears sunnier than it really is; you just might see sunshine hours dip down to 2,000 or below in some of these Gulf Coast locales.

The low 90s on the Texas coast aren't that bad, because while humidity is present, wind speeds are very high, some of the highest in the US.
Yes, I'm well aware of the issues with US sunshine hours. Even if you lop off 10-20%, there are places in Texas that have over 3,000 hours of sun. It's cloudier here than in Texas and it's still too sunny for my tastes.

A breeze helps, but at the end of the day it is still too hot, humid, and sunny. I won't be moving to McAllen anytime soon.

Old 06-26-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Yes, I'm well aware of the issues with US sunshine hours. Even if you lop off 10-20%, there are places in Texas that have over 3,000 hours of sun. It's cloudier here than in Texas and it's still too sunny for my tastes.

A breeze helps, but at the end of the day it is still too hot, humid, and sunny. I won't be moving to McAllen anytime soon.
Texas has areas of desert (El Paso), which obviously are going to be full of sunshine. However, like I said, the Gulf Coastal areas of the state aren't that sunny annually, only in the mid 2000 hours range with the current system.

The Texas sea-breezes are very strong, and can penetrate far inland into the state; this is because the hot temps seen in the state's interior create vast differential from the cooler ocean, so a strong gradient is established, in the form of wind. This allows places like Corpus to be one of the windiest cities in the US.

With lots of humidity comes lots of cloud cover, so the humid areas of Texas are going to be filled with clouds much of the time. With all those clouds come reduced amounts of sunshine.

I agree that Japan is much cloudier and rainier as a whole (that is why I voted for it), but I find that Texas does have its parts that come close to that ideal.

Old 06-26-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Texas has areas of desert (El Paso), which obviously are going to be full of sunshine. However, like I said, the Gulf Coastal areas of the state aren't that sunny annually, only in the mid 2000 hours range with the current system.

The Texas sea-breezes are very strong, and can penetrate far inland into the state; this is because the hot temps seen in the state's interior create vast differential from the cooler ocean, so a strong gradient is established, in the form of wind. This allows places like Corpus to be one of the windiest cities in the US.

With lots of humidity comes lots of cloud cover, so the humid areas of Texas are going to be filled with clouds much of the time. With all those clouds come reduced amounts of sunshine.

I agree that Japan is much cloudier and rainier as a whole (that is why I voted for it), but I find that Texas does have its parts that come close to that ideal.
You can't discount El Paso and other western parts of Texas that have such high sunshine hours. It it still part of Texas and needs to be taken into consideration when looking at the state as a whole. No doubt the Gulf Coast is cloudier than further inland, but it still too sunny for my tastes. A hot humid breeze doesn't make it much better. I don't think you'll be hearing too many people complaining about the lack of sunshine in Houston or Brownsville.

Sunshine isn't the only thing that makes Texas climatically undesirable for me. It is just too hot during the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather