Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Critiques
Too hot year round 14 26.42%
Too cold year round 1 1.89%
Too hot in summer 25 47.17%
Not hot enough in summer 0 0%
Too humid in summer 19 35.85%
Too cold in winter 12 22.64%
Not cold enough in winter 16 30.19%
Too much variability in winter 10 18.87%
Too many thunderstorms 4 7.55%
Not enough thunderstorms 0 0%
Too snowy 5 9.43%
Not snowy enough 12 22.64%
Too wet overall 4 7.55%
Too dry overall 0 0%
Too much summer rain 6 11.32%
Too little summer rain 1 1.89%
Too much winter rain 5 9.43%
Too little winter rain 0 0%
Possibility of tropical storms 9 16.98%
Possibility of tornadoes 8 15.09%
Possibility of ice storms 10 18.87%
Too sunny 7 13.21%
Not sunny enough 2 3.77%
No complaints 5 9.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2020, 01:12 PM

377 posts, read 258,218 times

Advertisements

Too hot year round.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2020, 08:41 PM

346 posts, read 198,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
In my climate system, Raleigh and NYC are both in the same climate group (Chb / Humid Temperate Hot Summer), just at opposite ends, Raleigh just misses Bhb / Humid Subtropical Hot Summer, while NYC is warm enough to avoid Dhb / Humid Continental Hot Summer.
"Humid Temperature Hot Summer (Chb)" - well, that's a new one. I can't find that one an official, institutionally recognized climate classification system.

Now that being said, this is not to say I don't agree with the classification. I think we actually need a classification that describes the transition between subtropical climates and humid temperate climates with colder winters - and I agree with you that cities like Raleigh is in that transitional zone. I live in Raleigh, and I consider it borderline subtropical at best as we got significant continental influences in our climate ESPECIALLY in late autumn and most of the winter. We don't ever have long term snow pack but we get down to the mid to low teens (some years single digits) one or twice in the vast majority of years (Raleigh is zone 8A from 7B in hardiness in the most recent maps - 7B is certainly not subtropical IMO, 8A just barely makes the cut if anything). I would say the TRUE subtropics has a hardiness level at 9A and above (average lowest temperature every year is 20F or above) and I say this because a lot of subtropical plants have hardiness in the teens as well as single digits and it's good to have temps that don't reach too close to lowest temperature a given plant or tree can survive. Places like southeast North Carolina, the coastal plain of South Carolina and Georgia, as well as Southern Alabama and Mississippi, Southern and Central Louisiana and Southeast Texas and Florida have more a legit Humid Subtropical Climate.

Now for New York? Eh. Now NYC is not as brutal in winter as cities like Chicago, Minneapolis, or Fargo but the continental influences are pronounced enough to for it classified as Humid Continental (it's classified as that under Trewartha but Humid Subtropical under Koppen, which the latter is clearly a huge fallacy). I would put that northern edge of that 'transitional' climate region I mentioned maybe up to Northern Virginia or the southern and eastern sections of the DC metro instead of NYC.

Old 11-15-2020, 07:00 AM

377 posts, read 258,218 times
I'm gonna elaborate on this a little more since I was born 2.5 hours away from Raleigh. Summers are way too hot and humid, but have a good amount of Thunderstorms, maybe one every three days on average or so. Winters are too sunny and too mild, but experience short cold snaps with highs in the 30s for a couple of days; these happen maybe 1-3 times a winter. Springs are very windy and experience some big temperature swings and autumns are very dry and pretty uneventful weather-wise.

Old 11-15-2020, 08:27 AM

346 posts, read 198,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawhats View Post
I'm gonna elaborate on this a little more since I was born 2.5 hours away from Raleigh. Summers are way too hot and humid, but have a good amount of Thunderstorms, maybe one every three days on average or so. Winters are too sunny and too mild, but experience short cold snaps with highs in the 30s for a couple of days; these happen maybe 1-3 times a winter. Springs are very windy and experience some big temperature swings and autumns are very dry and pretty uneventful weather-wise.
Yup, you describe it perfectly. I'm from Fayetteville, NC (moved there when I was 9 years old), went to college in Charlotte, and now live in Raleigh, NC. Fayetteville and Raleigh climate is very similar obviously but Fayetteville is marginally more humid and warmer throughout the year (Northeast Cumberland County is cooler than south and east Cumberland County - I lived most of my time in Cumberland Co. in Hope Mills, which is warmer than Ft. Bragg). However, a lot of Cumberland County is in the Sandhills so we get hotter summers than Raleigh by a few degrees.

Winter in Wake County is a mixed bag, sorta. Southern and Eastern Wake (Knightdale, Garner, Fuquay-Varina, Wake County side of Angier) is slightly warmer than say Northern and Western Wake County (Cary, North and West Raleigh, Apex). It's not a huge difference at all but enough for me to notice. For example, you will get 7 inches in show in Durham and 3 to 5 inches in Raleigh but NO snow and straight freezing rain or sleet in Angier or Clayton from the same system. Fayetteville will just get a cold rain (Fayetteville does get measurable snow most years but far less than Raleigh and Durham especially). As far as temperatures, its really hard to say because of the temperature swings from an unstable polar vortex. IF we didn't get these random arctic blasts that hit the south, we probably never get snow or ice here in Raleigh. The Cities in the same latitude and elevation in the southern hemisphere have FAR more stable winters, damn near look tropical in vegetation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather