Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Germany Vs Pennsylvania
Germany 13 37.14%
Pennsylvania 22 62.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 01:27 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,964 times

Advertisements

Philadelphia and Trenton would blow away any German climate. Philly has the perfect summers, so I choose Pennsylvania. Altho Erie's climate sucks ass, it would be a virtual tie with most of Germany
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 02:03 PM

137 posts, read 95,169 times
germany for colder summers.

Old 06-26-2016, 02:14 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,230,755 times
Definitely PA! Philadelphia has an ideal climate. I find it amazing how Philadelphia is in the humid subtropical zone, while the Lehigh Valley (where I attended college for 3 years) is humid continental when the two areas are a little more than 60 miles apart.

Old 06-26-2016, 04:26 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
Definitely PA! Philadelphia has an ideal climate. I find it amazing how Philadelphia is in the humid subtropical zone, while the Lehigh Valley (where I attended college for 3 years) is humid continental when the two areas are a little more than 60 miles apart.
Same for New York. NYC has like 4c highs in January, while Upstate NY (anything west of the Appalachians) gets -1c highs. The change to east of the appalachians is so drastic in New York as well as Pennsylvania

Old 06-26-2016, 05:03 PM

1,352 posts, read 1,530,070 times
I think it would really depend on where you're talking about in Germany. I was stationed in the 70's in Southern Bavaria, the winters and summers were milder. NO mosquitoes, (the barracks didn't even have screens), the flies could be annoying sometimes but they were slower than flies in the US.

Old 06-26-2016, 05:22 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue biker View Post
I think it would really depend on where you're talking about in Germany. I was stationed in the 70's in Southern Bavaria, the winters and summers were milder. NO mosquitoes, (the barracks didn't even have screens), the flies could be annoying sometimes but they were slower than flies in the US.
The only reason that there were no screens on the windows is because Germans don't like the way window screens look—inside or out. Period.

I know this from personal experience as someone who is always the go-to-bait for mosquitos.

I lived in Southern Germany (1990) in Baden-Württemberg during a very hot summer, with no air conditioning, on the top floor of a townhouse, out in the countryside. It got very hot, and the only option was to suffer the heat with the windows closed or open them and get bitten. There were plenty of mosquitoes.

The only screen material I could find which was allowed was a temporary cloth material that wasn't effective and looked ugly, so it could only be used on one small back window. The mosquitoes flew right on through it.

Maybe by now Germans are starting to use metal screens (I hope).

Mosquito numbers rising as Germany warms up

Mosquito numbers rising as Germany warms up | Environment | DW.COM | 18.07.2013

"Thanks to mild winters and moist air, mosquitoes are thriving in Germany. And not just the native species. Scores of exotic mosquito types are now moving here and the unwanted visitors are bringing dangerous baggage."

Before living in Southern Germany, I lived in the Rhineland and loved it, and never experienced mosquitoes except while on an excursion boat at night on the river.

Old 06-26-2016, 06:08 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,663,963 times
Germany

Old 06-27-2016, 03:37 AM

2,651 posts, read 3,406,093 times
Germany. As I become even more less endure the heat, recently I'm satisfied with oceanic climate.

Old 07-04-2016, 07:42 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,684,161 times
Pennsylvania, i would take Philadelphia easily over anywhere in Germany, great summers, overall sunnier and higher sun angle.

Old 07-28-2022, 05:31 PM

50 posts, read 25,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphatier View Post
Germany. PA has even worse winters than here and its summers are not even warm enough to make up for it
…yes they are? Pennsylvania’s summers outside of the uplands are quite consistently hot and humid, much more so than Germany. A lot of lowland PA is only cool to moderately cold in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather