Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 04:10 PM

198 posts, read 189,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder98 View Post
Yep he is that Houston guy that keeps claiming that the South is very warm in the winter and never sees any frost and freezes.
It is. In fact, I'm about to start another thread on that topic right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
That would put Phoenix south of the Tropic of Cancer, could only imagine how hot we would be then, probably would be like Luxor, Egypt but with summer rain
That will only hold true if the dynamics that create the DSW monsoon are related to geography only, with no latitudinal factors involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Umm no, that would make Texas hotter than it ALREADY is.. no thanks!
In the sense that year-round temps are warmer, yes, Texas would become hotter. But, in terms of actual temp magnitude, Texas would actually cool down; by shifting it 10 degrees south, you shift it away from being centered at the horse latitudes, meaning that the subtropical high pressure influence would disappear, minimizing/eliminating chance for severe heatwaves over 110.

With the current continent configuration, only the Texas coast, as well as inland areas to the far southeast in the state, escape such high heat waves. The high elevations in far West Texas also escape the heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
It would only make winters warmer, summers would stay the same or actually get slightly cooler with a bit more summer cloud so perfectly habitable for millions.
Yes, Texas would indeed get cooler with such a shift south, it won't have the influence of arid high-pressure during summer, which currently dominates much of the inland areas of the state.

Without shifting the continents, ways to block the high-pressure would be by cloud-seeding, air-piercing lasers, or by building high enough walls to restrict the high pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
But then Miami becomes more like Oranjestad, and Dallas would be like a drier, hotter Tampico, not everyone would "win" under that setup
Actually, Dallas would start to fall within the tropical rain belt that allows Tampico to be wet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 04:10 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,930,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shake&bake View Post
fair enough. But.... Do you think a wild-type southern magnolia is going to survive single digit fs?

i don't know, but see 3rd point for why for decades later there's still vegetation.

i know how they work; i am just saying that, looking at the cold tolerance of the southern us vegetation, it seems that many would have been killed, if not severely damaged, if those record lows really were all that severe.

but now you're talking about a different measure of cold tolerance and not the usda hardiness zones. I don't know of a measure for absolute cold temp hardiness not based on any sort of average.

fair enough.
s

Old 07-01-2016, 04:12 PM

198 posts, read 189,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
They will survive not only single digits but subzero.
No, an actual wild-type southern magnolia, not a cultivar you buy at the local garden shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
It was 12 degrees (F) in Tallahassee the year we went to visit FSU with my oldest. I believe it was January of 2003. Here in Fort Myers, December of 1989 the temps dropped to below freezing for about 2 days. A lot of trees and plants died. January 13, 2010 we had a cold, rainy day that never got out of the 30's. Highly unusual for SW Florida. In all my years of living here I have never experienced anything like it.
Highly unusual indeed.

Old 07-01-2016, 04:50 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,385,183 times
i live in Mobile, I remember the sub-zero days. just a couple years ago. but its not normal weather by any means, it usually an arctic blast that made it self down from Canada in a front. the winter temp here is usually about 42 degrees

Old 07-01-2016, 05:03 PM

2,505 posts, read 1,845,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
It was 12 degrees (F) in Tallahassee the year we went to visit FSU with my oldest. I believe it was January of 2003. Here in Fort Myers, December of 1989 the temps dropped to below freezing for about 2 days. A lot of trees and plants died. January 13, 2010 we had a cold, rainy day that never got out of the 30's. Highly unusual for SW Florida. In all my years of living here I have never experienced anything like it.
January 24, 2003 marks only 1 of 2 times that I have dropped to 15 F during the 21st century. The other was on January 7, 2014.

Old 07-01-2016, 05:04 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,356,905 times
Mobile did NOT drop below zero in recent history lol. Maybe to the low teens.

Old 07-01-2016, 05:16 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake&Bake View Post
Fair enough. But.... do you think a wild-type southern magnolia is going to survive single digit Fs?
Yes, and even lower, but with at least some damage. A regular southern mag (from NC) has been growing in Brooklyn (zone 7) since the 1800's, it's a landmark.

Old 07-01-2016, 06:44 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,449,016 times
Quote:
No, but those temps are below the hardiness levels for those southern plants ... meaning ... that even just a minute of experience of those temps is going to do severe damage, if not outright slaughter them.

There should be at least one hulking husk/large dead stumps of live oaks killed during these freezes, if the records of Mobile were as cold as they really are.

But it is all a matter of degree, though.

No, naturally, the wild-type southern magnolia can only take cold down to USDA zone 7 at most. Since then, genetic splicing/cultivation has bred cultivars that can take temps of USDA zone 6 levels.
A minute is not gonna do anything, like, not at all. Granted 0 to -10 is pretty cold, it ain't liquid nitrogen, either. If it was an extended period of below zero, you may have a case, but a random night?

Old 07-01-2016, 06:49 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,403,585 times
Quote:
No, an actual wild-type southern magnolia, not a cultivar you buy at the local garden shop.

Highly unusual indeed.
Yes an actual wild type magnolia. They naturalized in central nc. I don't need cold hardy cultivars. Real southern magnolias will survive sub zero. Cold hardy cultivars are just southern magnolias that were a bit hardier and we're bred. Come to nc. You will see southern magnolias of all sizes everywhere. Southern magnolias are not sensitive.

Old 07-01-2016, 09:14 PM

34,993 posts, read 16,956,874 times
Quote:
If you check the record lows of certain areas of the US Gulf Coast, particularly the cities of Mobile,AL, and Tallahassee, FL, you will find that the record lows are subzero:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile,_Alabama#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tallah...lorida#Climate

But, if you look at the vegetation of the landscapes around these areas, you will find lots of southern pine, live oaks, spanish moss, etc; the hardiest of all of this southern vegetation can only handle down to USDA zone 7 (single digit Fs) at most, with many species having hardiness zones of zone 8. On top of that, such vegetation specimen in those two cities are quite large, signaling advanced age, which, in turn, signals that they have been around for centuries, at least.

Thus, I feel that if these two cities really did reach subzero temps (and if the coastal US South really did drop to single digit Fs), then the entire ecosystems surrounding the region landscapes would have been utterly annihilated and destroyed; there would be no southern pine, live oak, magnolia, etc specimen in the Coastal South that was over century old, or so, if the records are true.

I have a feeling that the record lows in the US South aren't quite valid, and may actually be quite warmer (no lower than teens, probably).
Remember, the subzero temperatures probably lasted an hour or two. If they were accompanied by a stiff wind the temperature itself may have had little effect.

In New York City it last went below zero this year, on February 14, and before that in January 1994. On those days the high was around 12 to 14. There is no way the southern readings held that low for a full day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather