Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2017, 08:13 PM

51 posts, read 32,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Yup, 3 as of now, I want to learn Portuguese next especially since it's already very close to Spanish. I think it's so cool when people can speak half a dozen languages fluently, especially lesser known languages
I speak portuguese, and indeed, it's very close.
Portuguese and spanish shares 84% of lexical similarity.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:27 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
I think Spain would be a difficult adjustment, it's completely different Spanish and has arguably the toughest Hispanic accent (Puerto Rico is worse). Going to Spain, Puerto Rico, Chile, or Argentina when studying Spanish is like playing a video game on Hard mode lol, easy mode would be Colombia, Peru, or Venezuela
Baba Wethu is from Europe, he'd have learned European Spanish, so Spain would be the easiest for him. I can understand a bit of Spanish and the Spanish in Spain sounded different but it wasn't different enough that it'd be hard for a fluent speaker to understand. They'd notice your accent right away. What is your Spanish accent? Does it sound like a Russian speaker learning Spanish? English? or just a Latin American speaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I went up to Spanish IV in high school and can't even hold a conversation now. Would be nice to learn a second language. Spanish would definitely be the most useful.
I even took a bit in college and can't hold a conversation. But I could recognize some in Spain, if I had stayed there for like a month, I would have been able to hold a conversation ok.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:43 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Baba Wethu is from Europe, he'd have learned European Spanish, so Spain would be the easiest for him. I can understand a bit of Spanish and the Spanish in Spain sounded different but it wasn't different enough that it'd be hard for a fluent speaker to understand. They'd notice your accent right away. What is your Spanish accent? Does it sound like a Russian speaker learning Spanish? English? or just a Latin American speaker?
I was listening to audios I sent while drunk lol, and when I speak Spanish weirdly enough I sound a lot like my Peruvian friend. But there is a bit of Russian there too, from what everyone says I don't have the typical gringo accent when speaking Spanish. The big difference in Spain is that they use vos and do the weird "th" thing for "c" and "z" letters, like "Barthelona", "Ibitha", "que hathes", nowhere in Latin America has the "th" sound

Quote:
I even took a bit in college and can't hold a conversation. But I could recognize some in Spain, if I had stayed there for like a month, I would have been able to hold a conversation ok.
If you go to some places in Queens or the Bronx that is a good place to practice. There are neighborhoods here where no se habla english

Old 05-18-2017, 08:57 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
My mother used to be able to speak pretty good French, but she can only say a few words and sentences now because she never really had use for it in daily life.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:14 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
I was listening to audios I sent while drunk lol, and when I speak Spanish weirdly enough I sound a lot like my Peruvian friend. But there is a bit of Russian there too, from what everyone says I don't have the typical gringo accent when speaking Spanish. The big difference in Spain is that they use vos and do the weird "th" thing for "c" and "z" letters, like "Barthelona", "Ibitha", "que hathes", nowhere in Latin America has the "th" sound
yea, I noticed that in Spain. Figured out the sound shift there and got used to it.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:47 AM

1,363 posts, read 790,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete
Beer prices went up with AUD 0.1 in Victoria. The inbred mongoloids of Perffffffffffffffff derffffffffffffffff greenie leftist communists want higher taxes on everything!!! Penis mcghee speed cameras everywhere!!! Adi's henchmen driving below the limit
I was watching the news the other day and there was a section about Jamie Oliver and his campaign to get us to pay a *sugar tax* on soft drinks and sweets. Rich arrogant **** has all the money in the world, yet tries to force the government to make *us* to pay extra for his self-righteous idealogy. I have lost all respect for the mutha****er, where does this rich bastard get off trying to be a social engineer slugging even more tax off us mere mortals who are just trying to get on day by day as it is with all the ridiculous expenses nowadays? He even went as far as to say "it will happen". Couldn't believe the arrogance. His ****ing products in the supermarket cost twice as much as anything else, a couple of little skinless chicken breasts cost $10 because his arrogant mug is on the package. Guess where that money goes.....

Luckily the govt has no plans to introduce such a tax. I have a Jamie Oliver book, but I might chop it up and use it for kindling in my BBQ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit
I can vouch for the speed cameras... Melbourne was COVERED in them.. every few hundred metres on the highway/freeway with speed limits of 50MPH on brand new wide 3-5 laned roads! Absolutely ridiculous
Melbourne is literally carpeted in the ****en things. It all started with the labor govt ofcourse back in the early 2000's when they discovered it's the perfect cash cow under the blanket guise of "road safety" and has spread like a metastatic cancer ever since. If I am not mistaken, Failbourne has more revenue cameras than the rest of Australia COMBINED. Here is a map: Camera locations throughout Victoria - Cameras Save Lives god it's like looking into a ****ing galaxy you can actually outline the entire ****en metro area

There is even a government propaganda website Speed Camera Myths and Facts - Cameras Save Lives

Thee major freeway in going through central Melbourne was upgraded fom 3 lanes to 5 a couple years ago and the speed limit was dropped to 80km/h because they painted over the shoulder. Now another section of that same freeway down in the suburbs is being upgraded AGAIN as they didn't do it adequately the first time so another half decade of reduced speed limits and traffic jams. The labor gubbermunt introduced a reduced speed limit of 90km/h for trucks for some ****en reason, despite the fact that the 100km/h limit was perfectly safe for the last 4 ****in decades. So now there'll be frustrated truckers and cars that are stuck behind them that will now cut em off in a desperate effort to get in front and stuff like that.

It's so ****ed up, it took 2 HOURS to drive from the city to reach the SE suburbs 40km away when I went to visit my bro last year. All this stupid labor govt ****. As I passed Bendigo and hit the dual carriageway, that's when the stupid s**t began. There is a speed limit of 110 but there are some at grade intersections where you have to slow to 80km/h, at the next one to 100 and stupid s**t like that. WHat is the point in having to slow to 100 from 110? These intersections have adequate slip lanes and s**t, god on the 2 lane roads here with driveways and intersections with no turnoff lanes you can go 110 and there are trucks, road trains, buses and everything in between going faster. And it's the main road between Adelaide, Mildura and Sydney. Figure that logic out.

f**king labor cretin dicklords.

Last edited by BeerParty; 05-19-2017 at 06:24 AM..

Old 05-19-2017, 06:05 AM

5,601 posts, read 3,502,351 times
Hey Beerman this is the happy thread

Old 05-19-2017, 06:43 AM

3,326 posts, read 2,617,674 times
Quote:
I think Spain would be a difficult adjustment, it's completely different Spanish and has arguably the toughest Hispanic accent (Puerto Rico is worse). Going to Spain, Puerto Rico, Chile, or Argentina when studying Spanish is like playing a video game on Hard mode lol, easy mode would be Colombia, Peru, or Venezuela
What? The easy mode is going to Spain bro, that's the most neutral and clean Spanish you can hear (with clean I mean with no accent) it's not exactly "th" on Ibiza for example but that's how has to be spelled in Spanish. In South America you can hear "IbiSa" which is not correct for Spanish standards (Spanish from Spain I mean), it's more spelled like "ibiÇa" like Barcelona "BarÇelona" or zorro "Çorro" but not Sorro as the latinos. The hard mode is going anywhere in the Latinoamerican countries, the boss mode is on Chile, PR or Argentina in a lower level, but Chile and PR have really too much accent.

Colombia has the best latino Spanish accent and the best Spanish after the one from Spain, but bro, most of the world outside of the Americas studies the Spanish from Spain, is the neutral form of Spanish, no accent but neutral (well, Andalusians, Canarians etc have accent but I mean neutral Spanish is spoken in most of Spain) and it's the language itself. I mean, it's like the English from the UK. You won't study English from Australia but from the UK. South American countries use lots of different words which in Spain are unknown, specially in Peru or Bolivia some words even come from the Indigenous languages.

It's funny that latinos after many years living here start to speak neutral Spanish, but between them they still speak "latino". The young latinos which have grown here speak 100% normal Spanish from Spain.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:49 AM

3,990 posts, read 3,396,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junter View Post
lol what?

The easy mode is going to Spain bro, that's the most neutral and clean Spanish you can hear (with clean I mean with no accent)

the hard mode is going anywhere in the Latinoamerican countries, the boss mode is on Chile, PR or Argentina in a lower level, but Chile and PR have really too much accent.

Colombia has the best latino Spanish accent and the best Spanish after the one from Spain, but bro, most of the world outside of the Americas studies the Spanish from Spain, is the neutral form of Spanish, no accent but neutral (well, Andalusians, Canarians etc have accent but I mean neutral Spanish is spoken in most of Spain) and it's the language itself. I mean, it's like the English from the UK. You won't study English from Australia but from the UK. South American countries use lots of different words which in Spain are unknown, specially in Peru or Bolivia some come from the Indigenous languages but "Spanishized".
As a long-time Spanish learner, the European Spanish is the least neutral and the hardest to understand for me out of all the Spanish accents. I also never studied the European Spanish (neither in school nor in Spanish classes outside of school) but the Latin American Spanish since it's easier and much more used.

Also, when people study English, they almost never study the British English, but the American one (how many non-native English speakers do you know who speak with a non-American accent?).

Old 05-19-2017, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksolina View Post
As a long-time Spanish learner, the European Spanish is the least neutral and the hardest to understand for me out of all the Spanish accents. I also never studied the European Spanish (neither in school nor in Spanish classes outside of school) but the Latin American Spanish since it's easier and much more used.

Also, when people study English, they almost never study the British English, but the American one (how many non-native English speakers do you know who speak with a non-American accent?).
Huh, I though all Europeans would learn British English and European Spanish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather