Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2017, 06:17 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,427,121 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=129kuDCQtHs

Old 03-25-2017, 10:20 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Interesting.. just noticed I had gotten back a Canadian penny in change yesterday. 1961 minted. Canada ceased minting pennies a few years back. America should do the same imho
I've been buying cappuccinos at a deli near work lately and have to carry two pennies so the cashier doesn't have to give me $0.98 change (it costs $2.02) lol.

Old 03-25-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I've been buying cappuccinos at a deli near work lately and have to carry two pennies so the cashier doesn't have to give me $0.98 change (it costs $2.02) lol.
Haha, that's one of the rare good uses of pennies then. If we did as Canada does, $2.02 would round down to an even $2.00. But if it the price were increased to $2.03, it would round up to $2.05, so I suppose you'd have to carry around nickels to avoid getting back ninety-five cents in change in that scenario.

I usually don't carry coins. It's too onerous to carry them. I usually don't know what the total's going to be, and it would be a waste of time to fumble around and gather up the appropriate amount in coins. One exception was when I was taking the PATCO train to work. I'd often put a bunch of dimes, nickels & quarters in the machines for train tickets. No pennies, of course.

Old 03-25-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Haha, that's one of the rare good uses of pennies then. If we did as Canada does, $2.02 would round down to an even $2.00. But if it the price were increased to $2.03, it would round up to $2.05, so I suppose you'd have to carry around nickels to avoid getting back ninety-five cents in change in that scenario.

I usually don't carry coins. It's too onerous to carry them. I usually don't know what the total's going to be, and it would be a waste of time to fumble around and gather up the appropriate amount in coins. One exception was when I was taking the PATCO train to work. I'd often put a bunch of dimes, nickels & quarters in the machines for train tickets. No pennies, of course.
Yeah it can be a pain. There are still some elderly women who sift through their change purses though lol. Any change I get usually just goes into a jar and I cash it at the bank once in a while. It feels like "bonus money" when you cash out like $50 or $100 in change.

Old 03-25-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Yeah it can be a pain. There are still some elderly women who sift through their change purses though lol. Any change I get usually just goes into a jar and I cash it at the bank once in a while. It feels like "bonus money" when you cash out like $50 or $100 in change.
I haven't been to a Coinstar machine, but perhaps one day I will use one.

I guess an argument can be made that it's more economical to use a credit card that gives rewards, like cash back. Then you're getting that bonus money with every transaction. I feel like I'm kind of losing money every time I get back inconvenient forms of currency - e.g., a bunch of change smaller than a quarter. Even quarters aren't that useful, except in some circumstances. But for a small charge like $2, many merchants won't even take a credit card because of the transaction fees.

Old 03-25-2017, 10:49 AM

5,601 posts, read 3,502,351 times
A decent chance to beat the 18.6C March heat record at the Norrköping station tomorrow, any heat record here between October and March are so welcome! Having said that, it's going to take a lot. I'd wager a 20 % chance of beating it tomorrow, at least here, because Norrköping usually gets a few decimals warmer during warm spells, but a welcome sign of a real spring

Old 03-25-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
A decent chance to beat the 18.6C March heat record at the Norrköping station tomorrow, any heat record here between October and March are so welcome! Having said that, it's going to take a lot. I'd wager a 20 % chance of beating it tomorrow, at least here, because Norrköping usually gets a few decimals warmer during warm spells, but a welcome sign of a real spring
It's over 20C here now. Not the most pleasant temperature this early in spring. I remember March 25, 2013.. we had snow here on that date.

Old 03-25-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
I haven't been to a Coinstar machine, but perhaps one day I will use one.

I guess an argument can be made that it's more economical to use a credit card that gives rewards, like cash back. Then you're getting that bonus money with every transaction. I feel like I'm kind of losing money every time I get back inconvenient forms of currency - e.g., a bunch of change smaller than a quarter. Even quarters aren't that useful, except in some circumstances. But for a small charge like $2, many merchants won't even take a credit card because of the transaction fees.
I don't understand those rewards systems. Seems like a bunch of hogwash, but I do know someone who had their hotel paid for a vacation from a rewards card, so I don't know...just never bothered to look into it. I generally use a credit card for convenience, but I think cash has benefits. I tend to be more careful and responsible with it since it's tangible and obviously too many people have gotten into trouble with credit card debt.

Some smaller merchants will charge extra or not accept credit cards for purchases under $5 or $10. Gas stations charge an extra $0.10 or so for credit cards. There's a deli in my town that doesn't even accept credit or debit cards. In those cases, clearly it makes more sense to use cash. I feel silly using a credit card for very small purchases anyway.

Old 03-25-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
I don't understand those rewards systems. Seems like a bunch of hogwash, but I do know someone who had their hotel paid for a vacation from a rewards card, so I don't know...just never bothered to look into it. I generally use a credit card for convenience, but I think cash has benefits. I tend to be more careful and responsible with it since it's tangible and obviously too many people have gotten into trouble with credit card debt.

Some smaller merchants will charge extra or not accept credit cards for purchases under $5 or $10. Gas stations charge an extra $0.10 or so for credit cards. There's a deli in my town that doesn't even accept credit or debit cards. In those cases, clearly it makes more sense to use cash. I feel silly using a credit card for very small purchases anyway.
Does your credit card not have a rewards system?

IMO, the trick is to always pay it off and don't let the rewards and the intangibility of the money induce you to purchase more than you otherwise would. I've used the rewards to my benefit.

Old 03-25-2017, 10:59 AM

3,147 posts, read 1,978,035 times
Uk Reward Systems are diabolical, i'm jealous of you Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather