Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has moving to a warm climate significantly made you happier?
Yes, I was significantly happier after moving to a warm climate. 17 44.74%
Yes, I was a little bit happier after moving to a warm climate. 11 28.95%
No, my overall happiness level was the same before and after the move. 5 13.16%
No, I was actually more unhappy. 5 13.16%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 07:25 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,906,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
it never ceased to amaze me how stunningly beautiful the Highlands were in ALL weather whether sunny and glorious or moody, dark and damp.
The rain actually added an extra layer of complexity to the rugged scenery and it never bothered me.
This is how I feel about the beach. It can be ominous clouds, pouring rain or bright sunshine, either way I will be there walking and soaking it up.

Where I live now, in north Florida, we do get a change of seasons, coats *are* needed, and there were several cold snaps with hard freezes this past winter.
However, I don't have to worry about this happening in April or May.
I love being in a place where there is a true springtime. I never got to enjoy this in Colorado, which goes directly from winter to summer.
I finally can enjoy autumn, as well, for the same reason--I don't have to dread winter (let alone have it snow in October.)
Being in a warmer climate really works for me.
Yes, the summers are hot. But I ask myself:
"Self, am I happier in this climate?"
"Yes--yes I am."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 01:04 PM

845 posts, read 2,736,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
This is how I feel about the beach. It can be ominous clouds, pouring rain or bright sunshine, either way I will be there walking and soaking it up.

Where I live now, in north Florida, we do get a change of seasons, coats *are* needed, and there were several cold snaps with hard freezes this past winter.
However, I don't have to worry about this happening in April or May.
I love being in a place where there is a true springtime. I never got to enjoy this in Colorado, which goes directly from winter to summer.
I finally can enjoy autumn, as well, for the same reason--I don't have to dread winter (let alone have it snow in October.)
Being in a warmer climate really works for me.
Yes, the summers are hot. But I ask myself:
"Self, am I happier in this climate?"
"Yes--yes I am."
I grew up in a warm climate and now I live in a cold climate and I hate it. It feels as if the cold wears on me physically and psychologically. I hate putting on a bunch of layers just to go outside and run a few errands. I also don't like the feeling of having to "brace" myself for the cold temps outside everytime I open the door. Sometimes I feel like I am scared to go outside.

I much preferred growing up in Florida and having hot and mild temperatures and the occasional cold front. I enjoy the cycle of having a few days of cold weather followed by 3 weeks of warm, mild weather from November to April in Florida. Today in Portland the high is 56 and tomorrow its 54. It's JUNE.

I think in general when it is warm and sunny people are in a better mood. In Portland there are always more people out and about on those types of days as opposed to cold and gloomy.

Old 06-06-2008, 03:23 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,875,455 times
Cold and cloud make me depressed, ill and just lethargic.

Once I went to holiday in warm sunny climate and I immediately felt more healthy and happy.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:01 PM

6 posts, read 21,031 times
I am on the verge of a major relocation. I have lived in New England all of my life and am looking forward to leaving. I used to love the snow - but now I'm sick of the cold and snow. I'm sure I have that seasonal depression disorder. I'm thinking of going to south coastal GA. Went down there and really like it....very nice area.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:31 PM

288 posts, read 849,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crewbank View Post
I am a 5th generation Arizona (USA...very hot!) native, and I hate the heat and sunshine. We love to travel to place like Seattle, Colorado, and anywhere where the sun DONT shine. I think it all comes down to the grass being uh...different on the other side.

Interestingly, there may be something more global in our case. In "The Geography of Bliss," Scott Wiener writes that the "happiest" places on earth are invariably frigid places (Switzerland, Iceland, Netherlands, Bhutan...). The sun is overrated and fairly destructive in large quantities.
That's so funny, when I lived in Arizona, my friends were all obsessed with vacationing in Seattle. I think the green, rainy, cool environment was like a balm after the blast furnace there. I personally didn't care for the heat and sunshine, either, I mean, it's hard to complain about wearing a T-shirt in January, but ultimately I felt like one of those ants that kids shine a magnifying glass on in the summertime. The people, for the most part, don't really enjoy the outdoors there as much as you think they would. The best outdoor people there are visitors and tourists and retirees. For the locals, the desert is only about riding their ATVs, preferably in a drunken condition. I do think, however, that it might be a decent place to retire to, mostly because the elderly are rightfully concerned about icy sidewalks and all. I will have to look up that book you mentioned.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:39 PM

288 posts, read 849,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
For example we have all seen images of people on the beach having a great time and enjoying life and we have also seen pictures of people in cold climates sneezing or angrily scaping a windshield.
So true! The media sensationalizes something like that and then does it forever.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:41 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,486,254 times
I don't care what the media says. Since as far back as I can remember, for me hot=happy. cold=waiting for hot.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:01 PM

604 posts, read 1,837,712 times
whats worse? having dark but mild winters (like seattle) or having colder winters with more light like say pittsburgh?

Old 05-27-2009, 04:31 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,201,085 times
I fall on the COLD=BETTER side of the debate. People say, "Oh, but I like to go outside and enjoy stuff!" I go outside all fall, winter, and spring: skiing, hiking, paddling, fishing, etc. When summer comes, I am invariably in a foul mood, hot, sweaty, and annoyed by the relentless sunshine.

Also, I am fair skinned and have to wear big hot hats and long sleeves all summer long which just makes me even more hot, more sweaty, and more pissed off.

How many people who have moved to a hot climate keep their houses over 85 degrees in the summer? You are all sitting around in your A/C houses and workplaces basking in the cool air while praising the 100 degree hell-holes you live in. ;-)

Cheers!

ABQConvict

Old 05-27-2009, 09:29 PM

25,295 posts, read 18,450,072 times
Well, I’m firmly in the cold weather crowd. I grew up in a warm climate, but after moving, I’ve since always preferred either cold or coolish weather. When the temps get over about 65, that’s where my enjoyment of the outdoors starts diminishing. 90’s and 100’s, forget it. I’m in the house and staying there. It isn’t that I can’t handle it; I just hate it.

I’m good to go in the cold. I love skiing, winter hiking, etc. If it’s cloudy and in the 50’s or 60’s, I really like that too. I’d far rather walk/jog on a cool fall or spring cloudy day than I would walk/jog under the baking summer sun.

Which brings me to why I really don’t enjoy where I live now. It’s nice in the winter: snow, 20’s and 30’s most of the time during the day. But the summers are typically 90+ and quite often over 100. Sucks.

So I will always be happier moving to colder climes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather