Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2017, 04:19 AM

2,155 posts, read 1,541,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
It is easy for people in general to be pro open-border in Umeå, because let's face it: those who arrive especially now will not want to live in that climate and prefer the metropolitan areas down south. The election results in that municipality are a bit ridiculous with a combined 24 % for the three far-left parties last time out and almost half the voters for the Social "Democrats". I also assume that those who make the effort to live up there really try to integrate much more than they do down here.

Had I lived up there from birth I'd probably had a less decisive opinion on the issue than I have.
My issue with the PC culture is that they throw non-violent people in jail in Sweden for expressing opinions in a wrong manner.

Of course threats shouldn't be made but it's enough to express either an opinion when published online or in a paper about a certain group and when deemed offensive you're given a jail sentence if it was meant for distribution. As long as we have political prisoners I'm always going to be in opposition. Sweden and Hungary while on opposite ends of the political spectrum really are the least liberal countries in terms of free speech in the European Union and it's disgraceful that they fill jail cells with people who say stuff that granted I'd never ever say, but still say things that shouldn't be illegal. Meanwhile they don't even throw Isis returnees in jail
I don't believe for one bit that there are "political prisoners" in Sweden. If someone says "kill all muslims becaude they stink" then yeah you can get punished for it but not because of some political agenda; it's hate speech and that's illegal. I really want you to send me the source for that statement, because if it were true, it would not be some "man Sweden, shape up" ; it would be international headline material since it would break so many of Sweden's constitutional laws and pretty much render Sweden a non-democratic country officially.

Old 03-28-2017, 09:38 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
It is easy for people in general to be pro open-border in Umeå, because let's face it: those who arrive especially now will not want to live in that climate and prefer the metropolitan areas down south. The election results in that municipality are a bit ridiculous with a combined 24 % for the three far-left parties last time out and almost half the voters for the Social "Democrats". I also assume that those who make the effort to live up there really try to integrate much more than they do down here.
Few dark skinned newcomers can bear the cold climate of up north, only pureblood Viking stock can take the climate.

Old 03-28-2017, 09:53 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba_Wethu View Post
I don't believe for one bit that there are "political prisoners" in Sweden. If someone says "kill all muslims becaude they stink" then yeah you can get punished for it but not because of some political agenda; it's hate speech and that's illegal. I really want you to send me the source for that statement, because if it were true, it would not be some "man Sweden, shape up" ; it would be international headline material since it would break so many of Sweden's constitutional laws and pretty much render Sweden a non-democratic country officially.
People in the UK have been arrested for saying things on Twitter. Not sure if it's worse in Sweden but it happens in a lot of places, and the UK isn't particularly PC.

In Britain, Police Arrest Twitter And Facebook Users If They Make Anti-Muslim Statements - Business Insider

Old 03-28-2017, 09:56 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Trying to force PC through the law sounds awful; and why is the government judging speech content at all? Free speech! Free speech!

Old 03-28-2017, 10:08 AM

2,155 posts, read 1,541,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Trying to force PC through the law sounds awful; and why is the government judging speech content at all? Free speech! Free speech!
The way it works in Sweden, is we have free speech but with some exceptions like hate speech and defamation, so you can say and write and publish whatever you want pretty much, except you can't go around saying "muslims are retarded and should be killed on sight" in public, and defamation is also illegal, and I think those are good rules.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:15 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,325,947 times
Yup, I think a change in attitudes has to come naturally, not from the government. The best the government should do is just nudge the attitude in the right direction

Old 03-28-2017, 10:18 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
And we have a right-wing government btw.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:29 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,432,221 times
Quote:
The way it works in Sweden, is we have free speech
Lol

Quote:
but with some exceptions like hate speech and defamation,
So called hate speech is not even comparable to defamation. Defamation is a tort. Hate speech is a crime.

You definitely don't have freedom of speech in your country. Really only the USA, to my knowledge, has what can be considered freedom of speech. I like that this country has that. As a general principle, however, I don't support freedom of speech. The Nation-state, for example, should not permit speech that attacks the foundation of the Nation.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
The way it works in Sweden, is we have free speech but with some exceptions like hate speech and defamation, so you can say and write and publish whatever you want pretty much, except you can't go around saying "muslims are retarded and should be killed on sight" in public, and defamation is also illegal, and I think those are good rules.
I understand advocating for a group to be killed is illegal, but defamation against a group? Doesn't defamation only work at an individual level? Yea, some people have nasty and offensive thoughts; even if expressing them should be a crime [I don't] I wouldn't want the government decide what's what. Possible danger it could be used to harass political opponents.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
You definitely don't have freedom of speech in your country. Really only the USA, to my knowledge, has what can be considered freedom of speech. I like that this country has that. As a general principle, however, I don't support freedom of speech. The Nation-state, for example, should not permit speech that attacks the foundation of the Nation.
The nation-state is strong enough to withstand a few insults, it does not need to be in fear of bad words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather