Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 12:33 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,862,309 times

Advertisements

Coldest temperature I've ever been in.. I've been in the mountains of Arizona, where it will get below zero on occasions, but I can't remember exactly what the temperature was. I know one time I was in Flagstaff, and it must have been about 10 degrees below zero that night, and there was a wind chill too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 12:44 PM

719 posts, read 2,617,851 times
-39 no wind chill Gunnison, CO circa 1981.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:20 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,165,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye View Post
-39 no wind chill Gunnison, CO circa 1981.
I've heard Gunnison mentioned many times on the weather as a cold spot. I'll have to visit there sometime - in winter of course.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:19 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,325,120 times
-45C.
It was so damn cold for two weeks that we started sweating when the temperature reached -20C.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,928 times
Default From One Extreme To The Other

Being from Canada, I know many Americans have a hard time believing we actually even have a summer! LOL It is true however. The hottest I've experienced was about 8 years ago. I remember this well because of quirky thing that happened because of the heat...but I'll share that in a bit. It was August, a Saturday. My family was getting ready to go to a wedding in rural Manitoba. The entire day we had humidex warnings. When we left the house, the temperature was +36 C but when the humidty was factored in it was +46 C! The 2 hour trip was even brutal on my car due to the humidty and the fact that I had the A/C on full blast the entire time. When we finally got to the hall, it was hotter inside than it was outside because that morning the hall's A/C died. No one stayed past 11pm...it was hot enough that a few people actually fainted. We went home. On the way back, even though it was dark, I noticed the sky. I have never in my life seen purple and green tints in clouds. A major thunderstorm began...and I mean MAJOR. I had to stop several times because my wipers couldn't go fast enough for me to see the road. We finally made it home. When we got in...OUR A/C had died while we were gone! On the kitchen table was a single candle we kept handy for power outages. Now this is NO exageration...the candle had gone from an upright position in it's holder, to being completely bend down and touching the table. It basically melted from the heat in the house. The next day we found out that the humidex actually peaked at +49 C. +49 C = 120.2 F!
Ok that was the hottest. Now for the coldest, and it too has a strange twist.

I was scheduled to play a staff Christmas party (as a DJ) at a place called...you ready? "The Winnipeg Winter Club". I had an old 81' Buick (a tank basically) that pumped out enough heat to fry an egg...thankfully. As usual, I checked the weather channel for the forecast before I left. They had already been advising not to go outside if you don't have to due to the dangerous wind chills. At that time it was -33C with a -39C wind chill. My partner and I got to the gig and just began setting up when my cell rang. It was my Dad. He told me that they were forecasting wind chills into the mid 50's for the night and to try and see if there was some place I could plug in my car. Unfortunately there wasn't any parking with AC outlets. I had to simply chance it. Now, this car could start in ANY weather, plugged in or not. I never really thought about it again until we were done. I told my buddy I was going out to start the car so we'd have heat for the ride home. I'm walking to my car, and through the blowing snow I see a light. I'm thinking, "someone broke into my car!". Nope. I left the interior light on. The car? Dead. Battery drained AND frozen. When the roadies came to pick up the gear, I got them to give me a boost from their 5 ton truck. It took 5 or 6 tries until it actually worked. We had to sit there for 30 minutes before the car was able to produce any heat. When I got home, I again checked the weather channel. -55C wind chill = -67F.

And that's Canadian weather for ya!

Old 06-18-2008, 06:50 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
Hi Drtalk and welcome to the forum. Your temps are VERY cold. I do know what you mean about people not realizing that you get summer, too. There have been people who thought that we don't get hot in the summertime. But who am I to laugh cause I know very little about the weather in other regions. That's why I find this part of the forum so interesting.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:33 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,431,509 times
I think the lowest was -40 celsius. That's the same as fahrenheit if the online conversion calculator I used is correct. Either way, butt chapping cold. It's been a long time, but I think at some point the cold just becomes unbearable (to me) and it doesn't matter if it's -15, -25, -40 and beyond. I'm miserable and want to curl up with a walrus or something. Steal some blubber. I like California.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:41 PM

396 posts, read 1,698,793 times
-28 in mountain top, Pa. A mouse woke us up trying to eat his way into the house from the garage. The cat wouldn't go out to get him. We tried to spray something in the hole, but all the spray cans were frozen.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:59 PM

140 posts, read 562,787 times
-23 (here)
Me and my wife and brother went fox hunting in Minnesota in January about three years ago and had a temperature well into the -30's, somewhere in the ballpark of -37F

Old 06-19-2008, 11:09 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,107,668 times
-40 degrees, Frazier Colorado, winter of 1960......brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather