Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2016, 03:37 PM

13,484 posts, read 9,027,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post
It doesn't sound like you know much about Autism. Some Autistic people aren't obvious and can usually pick up on most social queues so they aren't awkward.
Depends where they are on the spectrum, my nephew is severely autistic & he cannot be left alone, he can hardly speak & acts like a 3 year old, despite being 13. He is however very clever though he cannot communicate his feelings & gets very frustrated & can get violent too...

Old 11-17-2016, 03:41 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,505,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Depends where they are on the spectrum, my nephew is severely autistic & he cannot be left alone, he can hardly speak & acts like a 3 year old, despite being 13. He is however very clever though he cannot communicate his feelings & gets very frustrated & can get violent too...
That stuff is just to sad

Old 11-17-2016, 03:49 PM

3,147 posts, read 1,979,497 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycvgBAuPFx0

THAT is sad.

Old 11-17-2016, 03:50 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,327,637 times
I used to think I was autistic or an Aspie, but now that I grew up I think it was more of an "awkward teenager" thing more than a medical condition. I don't have the most blooming social life now but like I got friends, I go out 2-3 times a week, I get laid, so life could be worse

Old 11-17-2016, 03:52 PM

13,484 posts, read 9,027,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
That stuff is just to sad
It is sad, my sister was desperately trying for a baby for years, then when she finally has one he is diagnosed with severe autism They even took him out to the US when he was younger to try the Sonrise programme (cost them thousands) but it didn't help...

He is happy enough in his own little world though bless him, but he is never going to be able to live a normal life.

Old 11-17-2016, 04:14 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,505,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I used to think I was autistic or an Aspie, but now that I grew up I think it was more of an "awkward teenager" thing more than a medical condition. I don't have the most blooming social life now but like I got friends, I go out 2-3 times a week, I get laid, so life could be worse
Perhaps you're such a mild Aspie that it doesn't harm you? Some people can work around it fairly easily with experience

Old 11-17-2016, 04:16 PM

Having Mild Asbergers is worse than having the typical form of Asbergers because people aren't aware of it and so they don't give you much in the way of allowances.

I also notice that some people who have really obvious Autism make friends (even plenty) at a much faster/easier rate, a bit like people who are Physically disabled make plenty of friends.. Mainly because people will usually go out of their way to help.

I don't think having Mild Asbergers is a positive.

Old 11-17-2016, 04:17 PM

4,658 posts, read 3,657,285 times
if warszawa has aspies then so do 20% of my college department.

Old 11-17-2016, 04:20 PM

2,155 posts, read 1,541,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
My aunt and uncle both are on the spectrum (I'm pretty sure, especially my aunt, although I've never been told officially), and I was tested as a child apparently, I guess since it ran with the family, but they didn't find anything autistic about me. Fast forward to mid-teenage years and I really started doubting myself since I showed some similar traits ("intelligent" especially for my age, interested in lots of trivial facts, had troubles being still, and pretty awkward sometimes even though I had lots of good friends) and had family history. I didn't feel like my symptoms had the right causality though, because I didn't have any troubles with facial expressions or empathy really. I realized my symptoms felt much more in line with ADHD (which my mother has), which I was much more comfortable with, and now I don't really bother much anymore anyway.

That's the thing with ADHD and ASD. Although they are pretty different, they can both produce very similar traits such as social awkwardness, hyperactivity and disorderliness, and being able to focus intensively on stuff they find interesting. No wonder they are so often co-diagnosed with eachother.

Old 11-17-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
Perhaps you're such a mild Aspie that it doesn't harm you? Some people can work around it fairly easily with experience
Well it's usually alright but it can go sour with things like Group work just simple things that involve a lot of socializing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather