Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2016, 05:43 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times

Advertisements

Our government has no convictions, so of course we are close with Saudi Arabia. Our dumbass Prime Minister obviously doesn't realise that the Saudis probably think she's a w***e for exposing her ears.

Old 12-03-2016, 05:57 AM

3,147 posts, read 1,979,990 times
Typical Left reponse.

Old 12-03-2016, 06:05 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,408,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
They're our top exports partner I think. Seems like they're one of the main export partners of pretty much any country that sells weapons and they sure make good use of these in Yemen.

Yikes. How much weight on each workout? None of that for me as I don't train legs.
For barbell squats not much, only 170. Dumbell squats with the 30, lunges with the 60. Leg raises and curls with 90. A light weight workout with tons of reps.

Old 12-03-2016, 06:17 AM

5,601 posts, read 3,506,777 times
I don't think it's merely about the oil though. Had Saudi Arabia not had Mecca and Medina within its borders it'd still been open season on them. Because they have those cities, a foreign intervention would be unthinkable.

See for example how Iran is regarded in western foreign policy debates. Same legislation, has a bunch of oil, but it has no universal holy cities.

Saudi is so bad the place literally makes Qatar look like an open and friendly space for females. The place should be #1 on every list for regime change. They make Assad look like a mere thug down the pub.

Last edited by lommaren; 12-03-2016 at 06:26 AM..

Old 12-03-2016, 07:48 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Our government has no convictions, so of course we are close with Saudi Arabia. Our dumbass Prime Minister obviously doesn't realise that the Saudis probably think she's a w***e for exposing her ears.
Reminds me of when Tarja Halonen was our president. She did several state visits to the Gulf States, and as a former female/LGBT activist she took great satisfaction from it, and also refused to wear a head scarf.

A funny story is also that when heads of states visit the White House, the First Lady usually takes the visitor's spouse to the garden to "talk girls' things" while the "men" talk serious business. But as Halonen's spouse is a man, Michelle Obama had to figure out what to do with Pentti Arajärvi. Arajärvi said: "let's go to a school".

In Jordania he wanted to go to a courthouse with Rania.

It shows how extremely conservative high politics are. Not necessarily in a oppressive manner, but how entrenched the customs are.

Old 12-03-2016, 08:15 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,818,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
Saudi woman pictured not wearing hijab faces calls for her execution | The Independent

What a brave girl that is and what a hellhole that country is...

"our friends and allies" as Bushy Wushy would say. Disgraceful. They're leaders are just as bad as Iran if not worse!
Wow! Although as I used to live there, I'm not at all surprised.
When I was living in Riyadh, a mate's wife worked as a paediatric nurse at a hospital there. She lasted less than a month before returning to England as she unsurprisingly couldn't accept taking newborn baby girls to the incinerator. I can't imagine how awful that must've been. Disgusting culture. I rarely left the compound when I was there.

Old 12-03-2016, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post
When I was living in Riyadh, a mate's wife worked as a paediatric nurse at a hospital there. She lasted less than a month before returning to England as she unsurprisingly couldn't accept taking newborn baby girls to the incinerator. I can't imagine how awful that must've been. Disgusting culture. I rarely left the compound when I was there.
Riyadh and other cities in the Gulf States have "expat suburbs" which are in practice walled cities, where 'foreignors' might express their hedonistic views without 'contaminating' the local populace.

Old 12-03-2016, 08:37 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,818,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Riyadh and other cities in the Gulf States have "expat suburbs" which are in practice walled cities, where 'foreignors' might express their hedonistic views without 'contaminating' the local populace.
Yes, they're Western compounds. They're very good if you just want to live and work, without getting mixed up in the anti woman culture there. As a man, Saudi is fine. Riyadh is a big modern city after all, but I preferred to spend my weekends away in Bahrain, especially when I was in Dhahran.

Old 12-03-2016, 08:39 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Quote:
Holy crap. That's sick.

I will never set foot in Saudi Arabia. Not for any reason.

Old 12-03-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Yes, they're Western compounds. They're very good if you just want to live and work, without getting mixed up in the anti woman culture there. As a man, Saudi is fine. Riyadh is a big modern city after all, but I preferred to spend my weekends away in Bahrain, especially when I was in Dhahran.
My paternal grandparents lived in Tunisia for some years in the 70's. My granddad was in the shipbuilding industry, and my grandmother got a job in a retail shop for tourists, though she only spoke Finnish and German. But she was a Westerner, so "close enough" though she didn't speak English.

They made a sh*tload of money, my granddad's salary was exuberant, but it wasn't that pleasant. In the end, they had nothing to spend the money on. My grandmother had to be accompanied with a local co-worker during commute. Not because of any laws, Tunisia was and is liberal on a Arab/Maghreb scale, but back then the scammers were harassing anyone, especially a blue-eyed Finn.

Of course, alcohol was nowhere to be found. Same story with other "Western" goods like sensitive Hollywood flicks and pork. At the shipyard there was a huge black market within expats. Grandpa told that the Serbians had a home distillery and made as much money from moonshine than they did from working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather