Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2016, 01:18 PM

105 posts, read 69,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Well, here's the thing. Young Muslims in Europe are more conservative than older Muslims. First-generation Muslims who moved to the UK in the 1960s and 1970s seem better integrated than their children and grandchildren. Maybe they are more appreciative, because they had first-hand experience in whatever sh*thole they came from, but certainly when Muslims first arrived here people weren't concerned about bombs going off. Maybe they thought 'Hmm these people are different' but not 'Hmm these people might blow me up'.

I don't think this is the new normal at all though. Cities like London have had a significant Muslim population for decades now, but only in the past 2 or 3 years have the number of attempted terrorist attacks soared through the roof. They are foiling dozens a year. One thing has changed more than anything over the past decade - and that's the rise of ISIS. Destroy ISIS and you destroy much of their following, and part of their ideology. These recent attackers are carrying out attacks in the name of ISIS specifically.

And, of course, no 'free for all' refugee policies like Merkel allowed last year. In retrospect everything can agree that was stupid.
i agree wholeheartedly on this. which just goes to show the extent of the problems we're facing.

Old 12-29-2016, 01:29 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Quote:
In the UK's case we've always had more of an underclass. It's a result of our rigid class system. Social mobility here isn't very high. Social unrest isn't really unusual - we don't riot as much as the French but things can get out of hand pretty quickly. 2011 kind of shows that.
Yes, but it doesn't explain it all. Finland has very high social mobility, but we still have an underclass of our own, albeit much smaller than in Britain. It just aches a bit differently, falling to alcoholism and killing each other. As I've said before, 80% of our murders are alcoholics or junkies killing each other. I don't remember who said it, but it was like "a Finnish homicide is the most tragic there is. You only don't commit a homicide but kill your best drinking buddy at the same time".

Sweden again drinks a lot less than Finland and Denmark, it's considered THE egalitarian docile society in the world, but for some reason gang activity, organised crime, football hooliganism, far left and far right activism is much more prevalent than in all the other Nordic Countries put together. The Finnish and Norwegian nazi movements can mobilise a 100 violent activists at the most. The Swedish branch can mobilise far over 1000.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordic...tance_Movement

Old 12-29-2016, 01:36 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Yes, but it doesn't explain it all. Finland has very high social mobility, but we still have an underclass of our own, albeit much smaller than in Britain. It just aches a bit differently, falling to alcoholism and killing each other. As I've said before, 80% of our murders are alcoholics or junkies killing each other. I don't remember who said it, but it was like "a Finnish homicide is the most tragic there is. You only don't commit a homicide but kill your best drinking buddy at the same time".

Sweden again drinks a lot less than Finland and Denmark, it's considered THE egalitarian docile society in the world, but for some reason gang activity, organised crime, football hooliganism, far left and far right activism is much more prevalent than in all the other Nordic Countries put together. The Finnish and Norwegian nazi movements can mobilise a 100 violent activists at the most. The Swedish branch can mobilise far over 1000.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordic...tance_Movement
Yeah, it's interesting. Sweden is very egalitarian, and is always near the top for quality of life, but has some issues to resolve. No society is perfect, I guess, but all things considered I'd say it comes closer than most.

I'd exchange places with lommaren though. He can have Brexit.

Old 12-29-2016, 01:37 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,505,587 times
Quote:
Sweden is so conformist and consensus-based that those getting fed up with the normal state of affairs have a shorter path to extremism I'd say.

Last edited by lommaren; 12-29-2016 at 01:47 PM..

Old 12-29-2016, 02:00 PM

I'm not advocating police brutality or anything, but the police in Finland enjoys widespread approval rates, and they are also quite bad ass. If you get a flat tyre they will help you, but if you f**k with them they will come hard on you. I think many countries have lost the trust in the police because it's corrupted, overly violent or you don't feel that they are there to serve you. Or they have become too weak in their legal jurisdiction that people don't respect them anymore.

This might be one angle to it.

Lommaren, you make a good point. It might be true. And your history isn't as violent as our is. To add, we had to deal with both fascism and communism, which left us with a deep loathing of all extremist politics.

Old 12-29-2016, 02:05 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Quote:
I'm not advocating police brutality or anything, but the police in Finland enjoys widespread approval rates, and they are also quite bad ass. If you get a flat tyre they will help you, but if you f**k with them they will come hard on you. I think many countries have lost the trust in the police because it's corrupted, overly violent or you don't feel that they are there to serve you. Or they have become too weak in their legal jurisdiction that people don't respect them anymore.

This might be one angle to it.

Lommaren, you make a good point. It might be true. And your history isn't as violent as our is. To add, we had to deal with both fascism and communism, which left us with a deep loathing of all extremist politics.
One problem with Sweden's police seems to be lack of police officers in general, and that funding has not kept pace with the rise in population, so they are overwhelmed, and since they are overwhelmed, people either leave the force or new ones don't join.

The police in the UK are generally well-regarded, even though there have been big falls in the number of police officers here too, and our prisons are very overcrowded and suffering from occasional rioting. But that's the Tories for you. We were on the verge of a general strike this Christmas as well, and there are over 200,000 homeless families in England as well as nearly 4,000 rough sleepers (compared to under 500 in 2009). The financial crisis can explain some of it, except that the number only rose significantly after the Tories came into power in 2010 and is still increasing now.

Number of people going to hospital for malnutrition has also increased.

Ugh, I hate these bastards.

Old 12-29-2016, 02:31 PM

Quote:
One problem with Sweden's police seems to be lack of police officers in general, and that funding has not kept pace with the rise in population, so they are overwhelmed, and since they are overwhelmed, people either leave the force or new ones don't join.

The police in the UK are generally well-regarded, even though there have been big falls in the number of police officers here too, and our prisons are very overcrowded and suffering from occasional rioting. But that's the Tories for you. We were on the verge of a general strike this Christmas as well, and there are over 200,000 homeless families in England as well as nearly 4,000 rough sleepers (compared to under 500 in 2009). The financial crisis can explain some of it, except that the number only rose significantly after the Tories came into power in 2010 and is still increasing now.

The Finnish police is terribly underfunded these days too, but they keep a high level of professionality for some miraculous reason. This comes at the price that petty crime isn't solved at all anymore though. Meanwhile the NBI gets more and more money every year on the premise of "dealing with the Russian mafia and counter-terrorism". It's not even their job, the FSIS (national intelligence agency) should deal with that.

Our prisons are, well, empty. But we see an increasing amount of people getting deliberately caught just so they will get a roof over their head at least for the night. A police officer here in Turku said that there are homeless people spending 300 nights in the drunk tank a year because they have nowhere else to go.

Old 12-29-2016, 02:42 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Are police in Finland run at the national level? It would sound to describe "American police" as if they're one entity though they have some practices in common.

Old 12-29-2016, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Are police in Finland run at the national level? It would sound to describe "American police" as if they're one entity though they have some practices in common.
Yes, as a subordinate of the Interior Ministry. To be a cop nowadays requires getting a bachelor's degree from the Police Academy. This takes at least 3 years, unlike the 10-week course in the US where you mainly learn how to shoot people.

Old 12-29-2016, 03:11 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,505,587 times
Quote:
But that's the Tories for you. We were on the verge of a general strike this Christmas as well, and there are over 200,000 homeless families in England as well as nearly 4,000 rough sleepers (compared to under 500 in 2009). The financial crisis can explain some of it, except that the number only rose significantly after the Tories came into power in 2010 and is still increasing now.

Having bashed Merkel's immigration policies earlier tonight I thought you were on the verge of joining Theresa's cabinet

Wrong!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather