Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2017, 04:01 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,830,170 times

Advertisements

The rats killed 100 million of us in the 14th century, and hundreds of millions since. It's about time we get a payback in medical experiments.

Meanwhile, Darude - Sandstorm vs Our Land (the national anthem):

Sandstorm:

• composed by a Finn
  • no lyrics, Finns don't like to talk
  • modern
  • great track and gives you a good feeling
  • everyone knows it
Our land:

• composed by a German
  • everyone sings the wrong lyrics at the wrong time
  • probably like a 1000 years old
  • boring and slow
  • underground hipster shit

Old 01-03-2017, 04:10 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,608,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Wow, I think Alex is right - there is wayyyy to much politics on this thread.
Rather there be political discussion with intelligent people (as opposed to the politics forum), than some retarded live text commentary of sports that nobody cares about.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:19 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,065,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Speaking of what you said, this British guy pretty much says how I exactly feel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLG9g7BcjKs
THAT is brilliant!

Old 01-03-2017, 04:29 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,959,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
The rats killed 100 million of us in the 14th century, and hundreds of millions since. It's about time we get a payback in medical experiments.

Meanwhile, Darude - Sandstorm vs Our Land (the national anthem):

Sandstorm:

• composed by a Finn
  • no lyrics, Finns don't like to talk
  • modern
  • great track and gives you a good feeling
  • everyone knows it
Our land:

• composed by a German
  • everyone sings the wrong lyrics at the wrong time
  • probably like a 1000 years old
  • boring and slow
  • underground hipster shit
DUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDUDU DUDUDUDUDUDUDUDU

best song ever

Old 01-03-2017, 04:33 AM

I liked this better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bRi54cg6AY

Old 01-03-2017, 04:47 AM

Quote:
I think that guy is just shouty but he isn't saying anything that people haven't said before. In reality, blaming Trump's victory on a small number of left-wingers who go around calling everyone racist, when in reality your average Trump voter will have no contact at all with these people on a daily basis, is rather fanciful. I know people who would have voted Trump if they lived in the US and they definitely do not beat around the bush when it comes to their disliking of certain groups. They couldn't care less what people think of them, not least a bunch of privileged students on liberal college campuses.

Pretty much everyone lives in an echo chamber. It's human nature to seek out things that align with what you think, how you feel and how you live. Everyone is guilty of this - some are just more willing to admit it than others.

And as Acajack rightfully points out, it's progressives who achieved positive social change in the 1960s onward. These people are the ones who fought tirelessly for equal rights for women, gay people, ethnic minorities and many more. These are the people who put an end to racial segregation and the like. These are the people who made sure it was no longer a crime to be gay. If people really want to throw all of that away, then that's their choice - but don't sit there and tell me that the reason people want to throw it all away is because 'liberulz hurt mah feels'.

All people who voted Trump will be in for a very rude awakening, much like those who voted Brexit - but as I said, I suppose that's something that we need to go through. Political and economic stability have fallen out of favour. One reason I heard someone voted to leave the EU was that she thought it was 'all very exciting' but she didn't really know what it meant.
I am with you for much of this but I think the left-progressive side will ignore what this guy said at its peril.

It's traditionally been about standing up for the little guy, the working class, organized labour, etc. But recently it has been more reticent and lukewarm in its sympathy for its traditional base, saying it's its own fault for the predicament it finds itself in - for being uneducated, uncouth, unworldly, unurban, untechnological, etc.

Is it any wonder that such big part of its base is abandoning it when the new mantra of the left seems to have become cocky globalism (the very thing that, rightly or wrongly, is seen by the base as the source of its problems)?

Old 01-03-2017, 05:07 AM

Jeez, so typical, subtle, quick and dangerous. Great this taxi driver moron got caught red handed.

https://twitter.com/HelsinkiPoliisi/...86930538446848

Truck stops at the zebra crossing for a small kid, the taxi drives on the other lane not even seeing the kid.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
I would have voted Trump if the alternative was Hillary.

I would have voted for Bernie if he was an option.

I am a centrist but I have some very left and very right wing views in certain areas. One thing I do not understand is why people follow a political party like a sports team, and praise absolutely everything they do, rather than take the best ideas from all the parties and combine them.
Good observation. As political activism in traditional organizations declines and discourse moves to other fora (such as this one, even), fewer and fewer people are willing to be loyal to a party or movement in a "warts and all" kind of way.

This is one of the big reasons left vs. right will come crashing down.

And one of the reasons Trump won as he is neither left nor right... (He just chose the GOP because he knew he needed an established "hat" to wear in order to make his run.)

Old 01-03-2017, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Lol, this pretty much describes everything that's been happening over the past year:
Hahaha! The left has always had the upper hand with stuff like that image, given that it has near-unanimous support from the "creative class".

But this is precisely the stuff that in this day and age, serves to alienate the progressive left even further from its traditional base. This is self-gratification for the people in the ivory tower that the satirical Jonathan Pie guy denounced, but as we can see they are no longer numerous enough to keep Trump out of office or prevent Brexit from happening.

You're not convincing anyone new to come on board with this stuff. Or to come back to the fold. You're just circle jerking with a shrinking group of like-minded friends.

Old 01-03-2017, 07:05 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,336,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Good observation. As political activism in traditional organizations declines and discourse moves to other fora (such as this one, even), fewer and fewer people are willing to be loyal to a party or movement in a "warts and all" kind of way.

This is one of the big reasons left vs. right will come crashing down.

And one of the reasons Trump won as he is neither left nor right... (He just chose the GOP because he knew he needed an established "hat" to wear in order to make his run.)
I hate it too. Just because youre a Democrat doesnt mean you have to support everything the Democratic Partt believes in, and vice versa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.