Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2017, 03:10 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,493,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat15 View Post
Yes. And prior to 2014, there was no playoff at all. The two highest ranked teams at the end of the season were automatically in the championship game.
If Kentucky would ever get a major league team which sport would you prefer it to be in? Basket I assume?

I think Virginia is more overdue one though. That one really is strange that there's no professional team in the Virginia Beach metro area... Major League Soccer has really missed a trick there.

Old 01-21-2017, 03:21 PM

5,706 posts, read 3,763,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I hate NFL, one of the best things about studying abroad was that I pretty much missed the whole NFL season and all the conversations about it
How dare you

Old 01-21-2017, 03:24 PM

14,498 posts, read 9,408,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
If Kentucky would ever get a major league team which sport would you prefer it to be in? Basket I assume?

I think Virginia is more overdue one though. That one really is strange that there's no professional team in the Virginia Beach metro area... Major League Soccer has really missed a trick there.
College sports are more popular in the Southern states. They don't have as many major metro areas that can support professional franchises. It's also a cultural thing, although both college & professional sports are appreciably popular throughout the country.

Old 01-21-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
How dare you
How do they play NFL in Miami in late summer? Is it a closed dome, massive AC vaults or what's going on with that?

Old 01-21-2017, 03:26 PM

5,706 posts, read 3,763,678 times
Quote:
How do they play NFL in Miami in late summer? Is it a closed dome, massive AC vaults or what's going on with that?
Nope, the players get to enjoy the full experience of 105F heat indexes. And that's the way it should be. I'm not a fan of climate controlled stadiums, in any sport.

Old 01-21-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Nope, the players get to enjoy the full experience of 105F heat indexes. And that's the way it should be. I'm not a fan of climate controlled stadiums, in any sport.
Yeah. Playing in a dome takes a good bit of the enjoyment out of it for me as a TV viewer. I prefer to watch outdoor games.

Old 01-21-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
College sports are more popular in the Southern states. They don't have as many major metro areas that can support professional franchises. It's also a cultural thing, although both college & professional sports are appreciably popular throughout the country.
Virginia Beach/Hampton Downs could definitely support one though Louisville is probably right on the limit. But it's all about money and tradition. No one's going to move the Packers from little Green Bay anytime soon!

I see no reason for example why Salinas couldn't sustain a professional team given that there are 400 k people in Monterey County. Doesn't mean they'll ever get one but still!

In England places of similar size to Salinas have had long periods in the top flight of their football/soccer league. Wigan, Blackburn and Ipswich spring to mind.

Old 01-21-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:
How come no one has died yet? They don't even play under the lights?

Soccer stadiums in Europe, in particular the most modern ones in colder climates have retractable roofs to protect from the cold if it gets excessive. I think that's a good thing to do myself. Could probably work to protect from the heat in Seville too.

Old 01-21-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Virginia Beach/Hampton Downs could definitely support one though Louisville is probably right on the limit. But it's all about money and tradition. No one's going to move the Packers from little Green Bay anytime soon!

I see no reason for example why Salinas couldn't sustain a professional team given that there are 400 k people in Monterey County. Doesn't mean they'll ever get one but still!

In England places of similar size to Salinas have had long periods in the top flight of their football/soccer league. Wigan, Blackburn and Ipswich spring to mind.
Intuitively, I think Virginia Beach could not support an expansion team from any of the four major professional sports and would be an unlikely contender to receive one.

Old 01-21-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Intuitively, I think Virginia Beach could not support an expansion team from any of the four major professional sports and would be an unlikely contender to receive one.
1.7 mil.

That's as large as Copenhagen and Stockholm. I fail to see why not actually! But something tells me a soccer team would do well in that area. Soccer should be more ambitious in going to places without other professional teams, that's how it is in Europe. Cities form a typical sports identity. For example, some cities in England and Wales that 'ought' to have half-decent soccer teams (Gloucester, Newport) have historically been a joke because of rugby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.