Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2017, 12:08 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
This is why people find it hard to relate with Owen. I don't think many people's parents on here spoil them like Owen's parents do. I've been in the work force since I was 16 and I've had to pay all my bills since I was like 17 (my mom has helped on a few bills, but I've paid the grand majority of them).
My family was never in the position to support me financially. There was no way my mum could have paid for my uni fees or anything like that.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:10 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,363,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post
Well I don't go out drinking every night so I can afford to do that. i'm just saying it seems to me that alot of students are living above their means.
Lol, neither do I.

Spending like 30-40 bucks on a meal for your own self seems highly unnecessary. And you're complaining about other people living "lavish" lifestyles? Lol.

Like even right now I just placed an online order for lunch -- nine bucks. What necessity do you have to spend that much on your own self?

Old 02-14-2017, 12:11 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,363,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
My family was never in the position to support me financially. There was no way my mum could have paid for my uni fees or
Same here.

That's why staying in college has been a struggle. It's been a financial issue more than anything.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:16 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
I come from a upper middle-class upbringing and have always had what I need. But my mom was also a single payer when my parents divorced and we lived in one of the worst suburbs of Helsinki before we moved with my stepdad.
There was never a single time when my mom said "we cannot afford it", always good clothes and food on the table. But my mom, dad and stepdad never ceased to remind me from where the money is from. Hard work.
When I got my first job at 18 at the post office I had to pay rent, because that's how the world works. When I graduated from the Gymnasium and went to work again, the folks again asked for me to pay for my upkeep, though they knew that I needed to save money when I do my conscription.
And don't even think I got any money for getting good grades or doing some chores at home.

I will pass down this to my children. Nothing is ever free, and you have to learn the value of money.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:19 PM

3,147 posts, read 1,979,118 times
Quote:
Lol, neither do I.

Spending like 30-40 bucks on a meal for your own self seems highly unnecessary. And you're complaining about other people living "lavish" lifestyles? Lol.

Like even right now I just placed an online order for lunch -- nine bucks. What necessity do you have to spend that much on your own self?
Well, I don't always spend that but you have to consider the price of drinks etc.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:23 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,325,947 times
I'm trying to cut back on eating out. I've only eaten out 2 or 3 times for the past three weeks that I've been in uni. Been cooking a lot of rice and yams which are the cheapest options

Old 02-14-2017, 12:23 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
Quote:
Same here.

That's why staying in college has been a struggle. It's been a financial issue more than anything.
It wasn't so much an issue for me since I was eligible for things like maintenance grants. I got a part-time job though.

The norm here seems to be for people to get part-time jobs as most families really cannot bankroll their kids throughout uni.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:33 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,408,192 times
I'm the same as Ariete.

I come from quite a privileged background, probably more so than Owen, but I've been brought up the right way unlike him. Both of my parents are accountants and living in Surrey just outside of London so we are quite well off.

I've never been bankrolled or given stuff for free, though. I got some help at university, simply because I could not live off the £3,300 loan each year, it didn't even cover my rent which amounted to between £3,000 and £3,500 in the various years I was at uni. I was given £150/month from my parents to help, and I worked hard over summers so get enough money to have a good student life.

Even now, I am 23, just graduated and I live at home paying rent. I pay my part of petrol for the car that I share, I pay for insurance, and I help around the house. My grandparents came from a poor background, so my parents have good morals and have passed them on to me.

Owen is just a spoiled kid who will fail the second his parents turn off his bank payouts.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:33 PM

13,484 posts, read 9,025,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post
Well I don't go out drinking every night so I can afford to do that. i'm just saying it seems to me that alot of students are living above their means.
Well you are living beyond your means too, you are payrolled by your parents, you are not earning the money yoy spend & choose to shop where you do rather than at a cheaper supermarket...

And part of being a student is the lifestyle too, it's meant to be a time where you can enjoy yourself, before you settle into adult life with commitments. Students drinking every night doesn't mean they are wasting all their money on that anyway, as most bars will have special drinks offers for students. They are having fun, you should try it sometime

Old 02-14-2017, 12:39 PM

3,147 posts, read 1,979,118 times
It's easier to be a working class student.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather