Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2017, 11:41 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,430,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post
In the UK you don't really get a credit card unless you're earning a decent wage.
When I started out, my credit line was a mere $600. Now it's up to $5,000. I don't think it's too bad. I don't put nearly that much on it. So the lower ratio of balance at the end of the monthly cycle to available credit helps your credit rating, as I understand it.

Building good credit is another reason to prefer credit card over debit.

Old 02-25-2017, 11:43 AM

3,147 posts, read 1,978,827 times
I would prefer to stick with a debit card and spend within my limits.

Old 02-25-2017, 11:47 AM

Well, I mean, as for my initial post, what I'm saying is if you qualify for a credit card in the first place, I don't understand why you wouldn't opt to use that. Use it the same way you would a debit card; just make sure you always pay it in full.

Old 02-25-2017, 11:50 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,593,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Yeah, I prefer to get my cash from the teller. I prefer to deposit checks that way too.
I can't remember the last time I paid a cheque into the bank. They aren't very common here, only old people seem to use them.

Old 02-25-2017, 11:52 AM

3,147 posts, read 1,978,827 times
Americans are stuck in their ways.

Old 02-25-2017, 11:55 AM

13,483 posts, read 9,024,194 times
Quote:
Yeah, I prefer to get my cash from the teller. I prefer to deposit checks that way too.

Also, that's kind of the point--you are not getting a "refund" for credit card fraud. IDK how long it typically takes to fully resolve it. But you simply deduct the fraudulent transactions from what you pay, if it's a credit card. So it's essentially taken care of from your standpoint as soon as it's reported (and as soon as the replacement card arrives).
But that's still an inconvenience to have to go to the bank to get money out, most places will accept debit cards for small payments now too. I just think it is far easier to simply use a debit card & any fraud that were to occur can be sorted just like with a credit card anyway...

Your original point was not understanding why most people use debit cards, well it is because it is easier than cash & you are spending your own money so have no chance of getting in debt. They are far more popular in the UK & are accepted just about everywhere. Many people don't like using credit cards for the charges & interest they may be charged & the chance of getting into debt.

Old 02-25-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
Hey snj90 I've biked 9, 11.5 and 9.5 miles in three consecutive days now in spite of it being at 0C pretty much and also feel in pretty good shape

I call it the pre-spring training camp so hopefully will hit top results this summer!
Cool. What do you mean by hitting top results?

Old 02-25-2017, 11:58 AM

13,483 posts, read 9,024,194 times
Quote:
Well, I mean, as for my initial post, what I'm saying is if you qualify for a credit card in the first place, I don't understand why you wouldn't opt to use that. Use it the same way you would a debit card; just make sure you always pay it in full.
Well I don't understand why anyone would opt to use a credit card personally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
I can't remember the last time I paid a cheque into the bank. They aren't very common here, only old people seem to use them.
I can't remember the last time I wrote a cheque, I wouldn't even know where my cheque book was lol

Old 02-25-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
But that's still an inconvenience to have to go to the bank to get money out, most places will accept debit cards for small payments now too. I just think it is far easier to simply use a debit card & any fraud that were to occur can be sorted just like with a credit card anyway...

Your original point was not understanding why most people use debit cards, well it is because it is easier than cash & you are spending your own money so have no chance of getting in debt. They are far more popular in the UK & are accepted just about everywhere. Many people don't like using credit cards for the charges & interest they may be charged & the chance of getting into debt.
Is it really that difficult to pay it off every month?

I agree that getting into debt is bad. I am not proposing using a credit card to do that, but to use it within your means, as you would a debit card. The rewards & credit building are added benefits of using a credit card.

Old 02-25-2017, 12:01 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Finland is a card economy these days so I hardly ever use cash. I think I'll have like 80 cnt in my wallet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather