Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2017, 04:05 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,435,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I'm somewhat left-wing and thought that was rather sad. Well maybe not anthems, anthems can be kinda dumb.
It is sad. Anthems are very important too though.

I am a flag person, myself. Flags are important. I have a Ukrainian flag at my desk.

The Ukrainian National Anthem is amazing too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHzHlSLhtmM

Old 03-02-2017, 04:06 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I'm guessing it's done on a state level in the US? Or is each police force responsible for its own funding?

The UK is a very centralised state. Nearly everything here is controlled from London. Only area of England with any devolution is London and even then it's rather limited and London is unable to keep most of the taxes raised there - the majority of London taxes go elsewhere in the UK, since it's the largest net contributor.
Mostly at local (county/city level) though the state provides some additional funding.

Old 03-02-2017, 04:09 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Not really, no. I just think that since they tend to live in inner-city areas they are less excluded and closer to services. I mean, a young Muslim in Tower Hamlets is only like 5 miles away from the world's leading financial centre and pretty much next door to some of the leading educational institutions in the world. It's completely different to the French suburbs that just feel isolated and hopeless.
Clichy sous Bous is 9 miles from the center of Paris, the difference isn't that huge.

The South Bronx is 5 miles from Midtown (even shorter to the Upper East Side). I'm unsure how much that helps it; though it would have been worse for it if it were an independent city.

Old 03-02-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post

I am a flag person, myself. Flags are important. I have a Ukrainian flag at my desk.

do people at your office find it odd you have a Ukrainian flag?

Old 03-02-2017, 04:12 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,599,580 times
Quote:
looks like a really useful though expensive project. Are any of the station close to you?
Heathrow is the closest station on that route.

Here's the Crossrail 2 proposed route.

Old 03-02-2017, 04:13 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Quote:
Clichy sous Bous is 9 miles from the center of Paris, the difference isn't that huge.

The South Bronx is 5 miles from Midtown (even shorter to the Upper East Side). I'm unsure how much that helps it; though it would have been worse for it if it were an independent city.
Though Clichy sous Bous apparently has no motorway, Metro or railway station, so remains pretty isolated for a suburb that is more central.

And yeah, all of London's suburbs are under its 'jurisdiction' for lack of a better word. I guess that makes it easier too. All of Paris's suburbs should consider uniting with one mayor like London's suburbs did in the 1960s.

Old 03-02-2017, 04:14 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,435,900 times
Quote:
do people at your office find it odd you have a Ukrainian flag?
I meant my desk at home.

Old 03-02-2017, 04:17 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,506,777 times
Quote:
It is really lamentable how far into cultural marxism the descendants of Vikings have slipped. Something has to change.

As bad as it is, though, it's regrettable that you say you don't care about your nation, flag, & anthem.
I care about fellow non-conformist Swedes and about the people that don't want to sell us out. I also care about foreign people that are populists and are independent minds, that even if they don't agree with me on everything don't follow the media templates offered by the leftist brainwashing factory that is public school. I have a leftist view on free trade for example. That shows I can think for myself. Having said that the following must be said:

Sweden is much larger in terms of geography than people think. To travel from here to Kiruna is like flying from New York to Detroit. Many Swedes have hardly escaped their counties their entire lives and we speak vastly different accents. The lack of density is part of the reason why there is no national identity.

I used to love Sweden. Now the mere sight of the once proud flag makes me ashamed of all brainwashed idiots that have invited the most backward cultures to get a firm foothold in this soon to be third world country. I'm so sorry for my ancestors to have their hard work thrown away in a generation of spoiled 1968-leftist-brats. Now my generation is very polarized; some are brainwashed beyond belief and will continue to support the national suicide note no matter what, whereas almost 50 % of people my age seem pretty awake (invariably the voters of Sweden Democrats and the Moderates). Social Democrat voters are mostly old people suffering from Stockholm syndrome (how convenient) and still believe the welfare state is being upheld somehow. So how is it with that?

Free health care someone may say? Oh yes, that was why they charge $40 for most short visits to any practitioner for stuff that was supposed to be paid for by the tax bill. What did that go to? Welfare for the people chasing away foreign reporters of course. I'm only going to visit any sort of healthcare if I'm like dying from now on.

But of course much of my generation continues to share stupid politically correct propaganda from the big newspapers that make The Guardian look like Tories. Absolute cringeworthy. No, Sweden deserves to be ridiculed and laughed at. Soon to be a third world hellhole.

Old 03-02-2017, 04:19 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,335,876 times
Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHzHlSLhtmM
I've never felt that way about this country. At times I feel like I don't even belong here.

Old 03-02-2017, 04:20 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Geez, you're very melodramatic. Cheer up. You live in a country that is consistently very near to the top for quality of life. You live in a country with the second lowest poverty rate in Europe. You live in a country that is in the top 10 for freedom of press, and top 3 for democracy. You live in a country that is in the top 10 happiest in the world. You live in a country that consistently performs well in all measures - a lot better than my or nei's country.

Your outlook on life is so cynical it's ridiculous. You would be much worse off living here and that is a fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather