Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2017, 05:35 PM

1,772 posts, read 1,504,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelernation71 View Post
How do I edit the thing that says "senior member"
My Settings -> Edit Your Details

Old 03-12-2017, 07:57 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I can't stand DST and wish they would do away with it. Not only will it take a few days to readjust, but we lose valuable sunlight in the morning when it's most needed. Morning sun is so much nicer than depressing afternoon/evening sun.
Sunrises will be back to the way they were next month. I'm not happy about having to wake up earlier, but at least I'll get a break from being blinded by the rising sun every morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ral31 View Post
I'd prefer year-round daylight saving time. I would rather have more daylight after work.

Earliest sunset here is 5:07 PM.
Agreed. Earliest sunset here is 4:28 PM, and it just doesn't feel natural to me.

Old 03-12-2017, 09:30 PM

4,658 posts, read 3,656,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerParty View Post
I honestly would like to see DST here year round. Even now, with DST, the sun sets at 7:30pm, and we haven't reached official autumn yet! My earliest sunset at 5:03pm which pisses me off. That is dumb for somewhere at 34* latitude. Earlier sunrises suck as they are useless, especially when hungover, and it is a waste of daylight which can be used much better when transposed to the evening for the majority of the working population.
Banyuwangi and Joao Pessoa (where ghost-likin lives) both have similar earliest sunset (5-6 mins later) while being in deep tropics (below 10 latitude)

Old 03-12-2017, 09:33 PM

For me, earlier sunrises and sunsets induce the extra energy to do anything earlier . With current "late" (which means boring) solar times, i tend to procrastinate a lot. (very strong tendency actually!) Pekanbaru or Singapore have later solar times but that's vacation/off time.

Old 03-13-2017, 05:21 AM

1,363 posts, read 791,180 times
Early sunrises just make drinking a pain in the ass. Sun burning your eyes at 5:30am FTW! Not only that, but the correspondingly early sunsets are annoying, feel like you have to hurry to get your outdoor recreation or jobs done.

Brisbane is the most ridiculous of the lot. Get this, the earliest sunrise in Brisbane is 4:44am!!! The sunset on those same days is around 6:30pm. That is just plain ****ing retarded. Imagine drinking under those conditions FFS. WTF is the point in a sunrise that early? Then you get home from work, have a shower and it's sunset - in mid summer. It is truly hilarious, during DST, Sydney and Melbourne are 1 hour ahead of Brisbane, even though the latter is further east. Heck, even Adelaide is 30 minutes ahead, despite being 15 ****ing degrees west!

Working out proper timezones is tricky as Queensland is a very large state, but I think the state should be 30 minutes ahead of the traditional AEST as their major population centres are all along the easternmost coastal strip, further east than Sydney and Melbourne.

Old 03-13-2017, 05:25 AM

808 posts, read 710,937 times
Quote:
Early sunrises just make drinking a pain in the ass. Sun burning your eyes at 5:30am FTW! Not only that, but the correspondingly early sunsets are annoying, feel like you have to hurry to get your outdoor recreation or jobs done.

Brisbane is the most ridiculous of the lot. Get this, the earliest sunrise in Brisbane is 4:44am!!! The sunset on those same days is around 6:30pm. That is just plain ****ing retarded. Imagine drinking under those conditions FFS. WTF is the point in a sunrise that early? Then you get home from work, have a shower and it's sunset - in mid summer. It is truly hilarious, during DST, Sydney and Melbourne are 1 hour ahead of Brisbane, even though the latter is further east. Heck, even Adelaide is 30 minutes ahead, despite being 15 ****ing degrees further west!

Working out proper timezones is tricky as Queensland is a very large state, but I think the state should be 30 minutes ahead of the traditional AEST as their major population centres are all along the easternmost coastal strip, further east than Sydney and Melbourne.
Personally I think Brisbane's sunrise/set times are close to ideal. It's no fun trying to go to bed in summer when it's still light out; my body might look outside, still think it's only 18:30, and not get tired until really late at night.

Not to mention that DST can be hard to adjust to for a while, especially this one for me since I've been unhappy with work lately and I've had my alarm wake me up quite frequently the last couple of weeks.

Old 03-13-2017, 05:31 AM

Quote:

Brisbane is the most ridiculous of the lot. Get this, the earliest sunrise in Brisbane is 4:44am!!! The sunset on those same days is around 6:30pm. That is just plain ****ing retarded. Imagine drinking under those conditions FFS. WTF is the point in a sunrise that early? Then you get home from work, have a shower and it's sunset - in mid summer. It is truly hilarious, during DST, Sydney and Melbourne are 1 hour ahead of Brisbane, even though the latter is further east. Heck, even Adelaide is 30 minutes ahead, despite being 15 ****ing degrees west!

Don't forget Mt Isa and the surroundings. They're already far west enough in their timezone. almost like year-round DST!

Old 03-13-2017, 05:36 AM

1,363 posts, read 791,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by divisionbyzero0 View Post
Don't forget Mt Isa and the surroundings. They're already far west enough in their timezone
Yeah I know, that why I said it would be tricky to set up an ideal timezone for the entire state. But the vast majority of the population live on or near the coast. I think permanently moving the entire state forward 30 minutes would be a sensible solution. Otherwise I think Southeast QLD should move forward an hour but that would likely cause confusion on where the boundary is etc. The average retard bogan labor voter here cannot find their own ass on a map so doing something like that probably won't fly.

Old 03-13-2017, 05:38 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,952,726 times
Quote:

Dude f*ck Brisbane's sunrises. Waking my ass up at 5am for no reason, it's the worst. I honestly would not mind 8am sunrises and 10pm sunsets.

Old 03-13-2017, 05:38 AM

5,601 posts, read 3,504,176 times
Quote:
Brisbane is the most ridiculous of the lot. Get this, the earliest sunrise in Brisbane is 4:44am!!!
Earliest civil twilight here starts at 2:17 am That's DST-hampered too or else it'd be 1:17 am with sunrise at 2:40 am lol Now in late June the sun goes up at 3:40 am. I've often enjoyed myself staying up until sunrise so to watch it around the solstice!

Last edited by lommaren; 03-13-2017 at 06:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather