Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2017, 07:17 AM

14,498 posts, read 9,387,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
How old are you?

Mine has also. I used to get wasted off of 7-8 beers and now even that many glasses of Whiskey won't have me on my ass....
If I go for liquor, I might consume the equivalent of that approximately once per month on average, I figure. It definitely messes me up.

I don't want alcohol tolerance. Bad thing, IMO.

Old 03-19-2017, 08:26 AM

1,363 posts, read 787,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellanmjolk View Post
interesting how my alcohol-tolerance is still skyrocketing. 2 years ago or so i used to get wasted by 12 0.5l cans. now it takes 15..
I have to say I am impressed. 12x500ml beers would have me on the floor, and I am a professional drinker. What is the alcho percentage of these beers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
How old are you?

Mine has also. I used to get wasted off of 7-8 beers and now even that many glasses of Whiskey won't have me on my ass....
My tolerance rapidly builds up during back-to-back sessions, then drops when I stay sober for a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
If I go for liquor, I might consume the equivalent of that approximately once per month on average, I figure. It definitely messes me up.

I don't want alcohol tolerance. Bad thing, IMO.
You are now expected to attend my academy of drinking.

I do agree with the alcohol tolerance, not a good thing, means I have to spend more to get high

Old 03-19-2017, 08:34 AM

11,556 posts, read 9,274,091 times
My alcohol tolerance has skyrocketed. Nowadays it takes several shots of tequila to get ****ed up. I miss the days when I would get tipsy from half a bottle of Four Loko

In the US I dont drink everyday, especially in New York because drinks here are ridiculously expensive. Between once a week and once a month. In Chile and Peru it was easily several times a week, in Chile getting wasted at a bar and then a taxi back home would come out to just 20 bucks, in NYC it can easily be 100

Old 03-19-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerParty View Post
I have to say I am impressed. 12x500ml beers would have me on the floor, and I am a professional drinker. What is the alcho percentage of these beers?

My tolerance rapidly builds up during back-to-back sessions, then drops when I stay sober for a few days.

You are now expected to attend my academy of drinking.

I do agree with the alcohol tolerance, not a good thing, means I have to spend more to get high
Yeah, exactly. I'd rather get more bang for my buck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
My alcohol tolerance has skyrocketed. Nowadays it takes several shots of tequila to get ****ed up. I miss the days when I would get tipsy from half a bottle of Four Loko

In the US I dont drink everyday, especially in New York because drinks here are ridiculously expensive. Between once a week and once a month. In Chile and Peru it was easily several times a week, in Chile getting wasted at a bar and then a taxi back home would come out to just 20 bucks, in NYC it can easily be 100
They took the caffeine out of Four Loko before I turned 21.

Remember having one once in college... that night turned out of be a pretty epic one. Had a Four Loko followed by several beers as pregame. Then ended up going into town with my floormates and some visitors and drinking more. Somebody else bought some stuff and we smoked it out of an apple. Total snowpack that evening - college drinking seems more epic when it's cold and there's snow on the ground.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Yeah, exactly. I'd rather get more bang for my buck.

They took the caffeine out of Four Loko before I turned 21.
Best bang for the buck drinking here is a 4 liter box of wine for $10, but across the border in Victoria you can sometimes find deals at Aldi for 6x750ml wines for $12, and these are the bloody 13-14% headache's in a bottle

I try to avoid caffeine, it screws with me...

Quote:
Remember having one once in college... that night turned out of be a pretty epic one. Had a Four Loko followed by several beers as pregame. Then ended up going into town with my floormates and some visitors and drinking more. Somebody else bought some stuff and we smoked it out of an apple. Total snowpack that evening - college drinking seems more epic when it's cold and there's snow on the ground.
Sounds bloody awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post

Same reason I never go out drinking, prices are stupid at the bars. I just arrange sessions at mates places, bring a slab of beer and bottles of spirits. Great company, great drinking. Poor countries are ace for drinking, when I was in Hungary last year, a 6x500ml pack of beer costs about $6 AUD. Meanwhile I had to forgo buying a Listerine because it cost an arm and a leg!!!

Old 03-19-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Best bang for the buck drinking here is a 4 liter box of wine for $10, but across the border in Victoria you can sometimes find deals at Aldi for 6x750ml wines for $12, and these are the bloody 13-14% headache's in a bottle
Wow, that is cheap. Google tells me 10 AUD equals $7.69 USD.

I love wine. Got a bottle of red wine from Abruzzo, Italy. Had some with lasagne yesterday. 1.5 L for $9.50. Reasonable price, I think, for a good wine. IMO, you can drink wine with a greater variety of meals. Beer with pasta doesn't sound very fitting. I'd prefer wine on such an occasion. Red wine doesn't cause me problems as long as I don't have more than about four glasses. Red wine is good for the antioxidants too.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:51 AM

2,155 posts, read 1,531,389 times
I don't even like alcohol much at all and only drink every two months or so, and even then never more than maybe 250-400 ml of wine.

Ironically, I made 20 litres of wine when I was 16, before I realized I don't like drinking much. I still have a few litres left, and I've shared over half of it with others. That probably takes the price in terms of cheap drunks.

What's funny is by privately studying the law, I found a loop hole. It's legal to drink alcohol as a minor, but selling, sharing, giving and in any way providing minors with alcohol is illegal. Police are allowed to confiscate alcohol from minors if a crime has been commited, which it should always have because it's supposed to be impossible for a minor to obtain alcohol in a legal way. However, there is for some reason no restriction on making your own alcohol.
This means that a 10 year-old can make his own alcohol and pretty much drink it right in front of the police without them having any legal ground on which to do anything against it.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Wow, that is cheap. Google tells me 10 AUD equals $7.69 USD.

I love wine. Got a bottle of red wine from Abruzzo, Italy. Had some with lasagne yesterday. 1.5 L for $9.50. Reasonable price, I think, for a good wine. IMO, you can drink wine with a greater variety of meals. Beer with pasta doesn't sound very fitting. I'd prefer wine on such an occasion. Red wine doesn't cause me problems as long as I don't have more than about four glasses. Red wine is good for the antioxidants too.
Yep the "goon bags" (local slang for box wine) are cheap alright. Great way to get pissed on a budget. I usually mix them with mineral water, makes it taste better and lessens the hangover

I usually find myself reaching for the beer though, which is relatively expensive compared to wine here. Bottle shops often have specials though, so I tend to shop accordingly. Cider tends to be cheaper than beer, and you can get these flavoured alcho drinks, like Raspberry for $7 / 1.25 liter @ 8%.

Old 03-19-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Yep the "goon bags" (local slang for box wine) are cheap alright. Great way to get pissed on a budget. I usually mix them with mineral water, makes it taste better and lessens the hangover

I usually find myself reaching for the beer though, which is relatively expensive compared to wine here. Bottle shops often have specials though, so I tend to shop accordingly. Cider tends to be cheaper than beer, and you can get these flavoured alcho drinks, like Raspberry for $7 / 1.25 liter @ 8%.
Beer can be pretty cheap depending on what you buy. There are some stores that sell 24 can cases of Yuengling for $20. Less than a dollar per can. One good foreign beer is the Polish beer Tyskie, which sells at less than $10 for a six pack. Actually I think it's only 8 bucks and change AFTER taxes. Great for an import. I stock up on Ukrainian beer at the one store I can get it at. A little more expensive in comparison, but worth it.

Overall, beer prices aren't too unreasonable unless you're really into craft beer. I like to buy craft beers on occasion, but they can really get expensive.

Gotta say I'm not a very big fan of cider though. Too sweet.

Old 03-19-2017, 11:02 AM

24,144 posts, read 24,675,564 times
Wine is very expensive here. You won't get a 3 L wine box below €25. A 24-case of 0.33 L beers goes for €20 and 1 L bottle of vodka around €22.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.