Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2017, 04:38 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
To be fair it was the Antifa people who ran on the tracks and stopped the train from going. They threw stones into the Nazi march as well. I was a witness to it all and it was just sickening to merely see a bunch of skinheads in action and also to see the red trash that were there to protest them.
never heard of antifa election after Trump won. Quickly came to the conclusion they're idiots looking for a fight.

Quote:
Only later that night it sunk in that I should've gotten the hell out of there much sooner than I did. Not that I really ever was in danger but those Antifa bastards could've had hand grenades with them to try and kill Nazis and then I'd been 20 metres from a murder scene. Crazy.
yikes

Quote:
The 90's were the most violent times though. Nazis tried to kill the far-left leader with a hand grenade but missed when throwing it and they also killed a hockey player for being gay in 1995 and an innocent mixed-race kid around that time. Then they murdered a syndicalist in 1999 for "snitching" on a Nazi who was a union representative before being busted. The most infamous incident was that a BLACK (!) nazi and two others killed two police officers in 1999 in Malexander.
Your nazis are diverse! Shows how progressive Sweden is

Old 05-07-2017, 04:41 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,504,176 times
I recall the first time I learned about the Antifa in early 2003. It was a sweetly-written article in my local paper here (Sörmlands Nyheter) that portrayed them as some nice teens who were out there fighting racism.

Swedish journalists are sick and Joseph Bernaze (the father of propaganda) would've been proud of their work

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Your nazis are diverse! Shows how progressive Sweden is
More like that desperate to even let him in! I think he has a Swedish mother and a Liberian father or something like that. He then gained claim to fame in those circles for being a war criminal as a mercenary in the Balkan war. He eventually got sentenced for those crimes as well. Don't know too much about him, except that those three guys who did it became like the absolute centre of attention in the entire country for some weeks. One of them was arrested in Costa Rica (!) of all places having fled there somehow. Pre 9/11 everything was possible I guess

Old 05-07-2017, 05:20 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,578,708 times
Just saw the results for French citizens voting in Leeds. 93.5% Macron.

French expats were obviously loving Macron.

Old 05-07-2017, 05:27 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,922,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Just saw the results for French citizens voting in Leeds. 93.5% Macron.

French expats were obviously loving Macron.
Clearly, expats are naturally more liberal. My French cousin voted Le Pen, hahahahaha!

Old 05-07-2017, 05:53 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,730,067 times
My father voted Fillon today.

I'm surprised that Macron won by more than 90% for French citizens in the USA. Sure expats tend to be more liberal and likely richer, so that should benefit Macron, but with all the "great replacement" talk over there I thought Le Pen would earn more votes.

Old 05-07-2017, 06:38 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
My father voted Fillon today.

I'm surprised that Macron won by more than 90% for French citizens in the USA. Sure expats tend to be more liberal and likely richer, so that should benefit Macron, but with all the "great replacement" talk over there I thought Le Pen would earn more votes.
What was the reason your dad didn't like Macron?

The "great replacement" if it's what I think it is [native ethnic French get replaced by immigrants] is mainly of interest to a certain section of the right-wing. I doubt many French expats would find much at all appealing given that expats tend to be more liberal, the most nativist would prefer to stay in their home country? The few conservative ones I'd guess would go towards the "free-market right", given they chose to move to the US.

My parents know one expat; he said he prefers the Democrats in the US but the conservative party in France (Republicans? / UMP). A college friend of mine married a French guy who moved to NYC. He voted Melenchon first round, then Macron. His wife was Sanders, then Clinton.

I read 84% of Turks living in the US voted against the recent referendum granting Erdogan more power.

Old 05-08-2017, 12:17 AM

2,155 posts, read 1,540,758 times
Quote:
Umeå is like a colder version of inner Cambridge though. Youthful students sipping lattes at cafés pretending they're from Stockholm!

Results for the Sweden Democrats in 2014:

Umeå 5.65 %

Similarly regional "metropolitan" cities in my region:

Eskilstuna 16.61 %
Norrköping 16.12 %
Västerås 12.95 %
Nyköping 12.55 %
Södertälje 12.35 %
Örebro 11.57 %
Linköping 11.17 %

Obviously different values in different places. This is not even a particular stronghold and yet their support is double of that up there in Baba's particular city. It's an isolated island in Swedish politics. In no municipality in the country (even Stockholm) was support for the SD so low, so to speak like that from authority is just plain wrong
I was talking about northern Sweden since that's where Razza suggested you two move

Old 05-08-2017, 01:40 AM

5,601 posts, read 3,504,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba_Wethu View Post
I was talking about northern Sweden since that's where Razza suggested you two move
Okay but moving inland or away from the larger cities in Northern Sweden, the Sweden Democrats do rather well when compared to the national average so Especially so in Norrbotten a bit further north:

Gällivare 15.22 %
Boden 14.66 %
Timrå 13.89 %
Haparanda 13.46 %
Kiruna 13.21 %
Arvidsjaur 13.06 %
Sollefteå 12.82 %
Kalix 11.49 %
Lycksele 10.46 %

Old 05-08-2017, 01:44 AM

3,326 posts, read 2,618,864 times
Quote:
Okay but moving inland or away from the larger cities in Northern Sweden, the Sweden Democrats do rather well when compared to the national average so Especially so in Norrbotten a bit further north:

Gällivare 15.22 %
Boden 14.66 %
Timrå 13.89 %
Haparanda 13.46 %
Kiruna 13.21 %
Arvidsjaur 13.06 %
Sollefteå 12.82 %
Kalix 11.49 %
Lycksele 10.46 %

Haparanda

Old 05-08-2017, 04:39 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,730,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
What was the reason your dad didn't like Macron?
Like many Republicans, he was pissed off by Fillon's scandals and the fact that the "left-wing" paper Le Canard enchaîné revealed a part of the story each week as if it was a mini-series. It is clear to him that the whole thing was a conspiracy warped by Hollande's cabinet to bring his political heir [Macron] in power. To an extent, as you said he's the candidate of the status quo and I don't expect him to do much either way, much like his predecessors. I told my father to vote for Le Pen if he hates Macron so much, but he said he can't vote for someone who came up with no less than 19 fake news in a 2h30-long debate. That I can agree with.

Quote:
The "great replacement" if it's what I think it is [native ethnic French get replaced by immigrants] is mainly of interest to a certain section of the right-wing. I doubt many French expats would find much at all appealing given that expats tend to be more liberal, the most nativist would prefer to stay in their home country? The few conservative ones I'd guess would go towards the "free-market right", given they chose to move to the US.
You gotta admit that that certain section of the right wing is very loud on these forums, so it might've clouded my judgment. Outside of the weather section, C-D seems like a pretty right wing forum. Also, I've seen a news report from DC in which a journalist asked random people which was their favorite candidate. I bet most didn't care or know enough to have any, but among the few that did, Le Pen seemed more popular. Though they were American, not French.

Quote:
My parents know one expat; he said he prefers the Democrats in the US but the conservative party in France (Republicans? / UMP).
I'd be the same, just wish the (French) Republicans were more liberal.

Quote:
I read 84% of Turks living in the US voted against the recent referendum granting Erdogan more power.
Now that's lower than what I expected!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather