Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2016, 06:10 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,432,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
If people want to leave because they feel uncomfortable around people of different races or cultures then that's a choice they choose to make, it isn't a choice anyone is forcing them to make.
It is a choice they're being forced to make. It's not like cosmopolitanism is intentionally confined to London, or even British cities in general. No - rather, there is no space that would deemed rightfully British and off-limits to replacement migration.

Quote:
Losing numbers doesn't mean your own interests will be worse off - as I said, examples to the contrary exist everywhere.
Like what? Any examples you name are just the exceptions to the rule. Jews certainly have power incommensurate with their numbers. But for most ethnicities without the living space or numbers, their powers are not exactly great. While there are other factors as well, I don't see how anyone can deny that living space and numbers for an ethnicity correlate with power.

Besides, having numbers is good from an ethnic pride standpoint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete
I come from a rather patriotic nation state, and any "we-mentality" is nonexistent. Except maybe big sports events. We have the same internal divisions as any other country; liberal vs conservative, urban vs rural, north vs south, young vs old, religious vs secular and so on.
When a nation really needs to come together, that's when the unity and cohesiveness of the people are most critical. By far, the best way of ensuring loyalty to a nation-state is homogenous ethnicity. Western leaders know this, but they mass-import immigrants for other reasons. Then again, maybe some truly don't know it, like Merkel, who makes a fool out of herself by imploring Turks to be loyal to Germany. Angela Merkel urges Turks in Germany to 'show loyalty to our country'

The problem nowadays can be likened to the proverbial boiling frog: the slow invasion of a country does not elicit the same reaction as a full onslaught would.

Old 09-18-2016, 06:24 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,406,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
A oil pipeline broke somewhere in the south. May not affect us
Only affecting Tennessee, virginia, nc, SC, and ga. The pipeline broke in Alabama and will take another week to fix.

Old 09-19-2016, 06:15 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,685,118 times
The Durban Wikipedia Climate Table has been vandalized.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:46 AM

29,522 posts, read 19,616,477 times
Even though we've had a dry September, this very wet summer has just caused the mosquito population to explode... It's almost impossible for me to sit out on my deck after dark.

City to spray insecticide Monday to combat mosquitoes on SW Side - Story | WFLD

Old 09-19-2016, 11:10 AM

4,658 posts, read 3,656,725 times
A (technical) weather-related thread became a hot thread in Kaskus! Finally

Old 09-19-2016, 01:32 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,332,923 times
I got: 14% What % Millennial Stereotype Are You? via @BuzzFeedUK

Am I the only one that hates the term "millennial"?

Old 09-19-2016, 02:12 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
It is a choice they're being forced to make. It's not like cosmopolitanism is intentionally confined to London, or even British cities in general. No - rather, there is no space that would deemed rightfully British and off-limits to replacement migration.

Like what? Any examples you name are just the exceptions to the rule. Jews certainly have power incommensurate with their numbers. But for most ethnicities without the living space or numbers, their powers are not exactly great. While there are other factors as well, I don't see how anyone can deny that living space and numbers for an ethnicity correlate with power.

Besides, having numbers is good from an ethnic pride standpoint.
No, it isn't. There are millions of white British people who live in London alongside people of different cultures and races, without any issue. Those who left, did so because they don't like foreigners. I have no sympathy for that point of view. These people tend to be poorly educated - often by choice. Tough t*tties to them. Adapt or die - it's as simple as that. The world isn't going to change to suit these people - the world as we knew it 100 years ago is gone and will never return. Crying about it won't change it. They're being left behind, and it's their own fault.

I mean, I've spent an inordinate amount of time on sink estates in Leeds, where 90% and upwards of the population tend to be white British and they are without a doubt the worst environments I have come across in any country. If these people left and were replaced by Indians or Poles, who tend to be hard working, then I'd be fine with that. I've been on the receiving end of abuse from chavs, but never Poles or Indians. My GP is Indian, and the first thing that entered my mind when I saw him wasn't 'Oh god replacement migration is happening ahhhhhhhhhhhh'.

You view everything from from an ethnocentric point of view - nothing else in your mind matters. I have no ridiculous loyalty to my 'ethnicity' - I really couldn't care less. I don't feel scared when I see women in burkas or men in turbans. You might find places like London worse because there are fewer white people, but for people living in London, they have access to great schools, in safe neighbourhoods, with good job prospects - a contrast to 30 years ago. Objectivity is the only thing that matters to me - and objectively, London is a better place. You are the only person I know who would argue that a place being safer and wealthier is somehow a bad thing simply because there are fewer white people living there.

Whites in South Africa would be a good example of that - having historically exerted significant power and influence despite smaller numbers. Even today, they are definitely the better off group. Whites are a minority globally but white countries still exert more power and influence then you'd expect. I'm not just referring to ethnicity either, when I talk about minority groups holding power.

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 09-19-2016 at 02:43 PM..

Old 09-19-2016, 04:27 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,325,947 times
I went to see Santiago today and I have to say, Im surprised its not a more famous city. Parts of it are very ugly, but then you go to the center and some of the neighborhoods in the northeast and it's stunning with amazing architecture. It's kinda dirty, like any big city, but then you have such an amazing mix of architecture, a little bit of New York here, a bit of Spain there, and a bit of France too. And the food is actually not bad by Chilean standards, they have a lot of Peruvian restaurants that serve actual Peruvian food, in most parts of Chile the Peruvian restaurants are kinda...chilenized lol. Feels so good to get actual chicha morada and aji de gallina! Would love to return and spend a weekend here

Old 09-19-2016, 04:37 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,325,947 times
Quote:
No, it isn't. There are millions of white British people who live in London alongside people of different cultures and races, without any issue. Those who left, did so because they don't like foreigners. I have no sympathy for that point of view. These people tend to be poorly educated - often by choice. Tough t*tties to them. Adapt or die - it's as simple as that. The world isn't going to change to suit these people - the world as we knew it 100 years ago is gone and will never return. Crying about it won't change it. They're being left behind, and it's their own fault.

I mean, I've spent an inordinate amount of time on sink estates in Leeds, where 90% and upwards of the population tend to be white British and they are without a doubt the worst environments I have come across in any country. If these people left and were replaced by Indians or Poles, who tend to be hard working, then I'd be fine with that. I've been on the receiving end of abuse from chavs, but never Poles or Indians. My GP is Indian, and the first thing that entered my mind when I saw him wasn't 'Oh god replacement migration is happening ahhhhhhhhhhhh'.

You view everything from from an ethnocentric point of view - nothing else in your mind matters. I have no ridiculous loyalty to my 'ethnicity' - I really couldn't care less. I don't feel scared when I see women in burkas or men in turbans. You might find places like London worse because there are fewer white people, but for people living in London, they have access to great schools, in safe neighbourhoods, with good job prospects - a contrast to 30 years ago. Objectivity is the only thing that matters to me - and objectively, London is a better place. You are the only person I know who would argue that a place being safer and wealthier is somehow a bad thing simply because there are fewer white people living there.

Whites in South Africa would be a good example of that - having historically exerted significant power and influence despite smaller numbers. Even today, they are definitely the better off group. Whites are a minority globally but white countries still exert more power and influence then you'd expect. I'm not just referring to ethnicity either, when I talk about minority groups holding power.
In NYC some of the plainest, most annoying neighborhoods (or suburbs) are the ones with 90% white population where people have mansions and giant swimming pools. Those types of neighborhoods are not what Im looking for, Id much rather live somewhere diverse, with working class people and a rainbow of cultures, like Jackson Heights or Sunnyside or Harlem

Old 09-19-2016, 04:40 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,363,072 times
Got back from Chicago earlier today. What a beautiful and awesome city, I can really see myself living there someday. Kinda wish winters were a bit more reliably cold though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather