Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 04:51 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,018,190 times

Advertisements

Yes even in the Detroit area where I live close to the weather is just the same as always ,with lush summers and mind winters , so and when they take the coal out it will just get less rain with less dust from coal .... I believe that the scientist are getting rich of the backs of poor people with climate change fear
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 05:11 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,304,388 times
How's this version of the conspiracy theory shaking down?

Old 07-17-2016, 06:42 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,454,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
CO2 levels must of melted the mile thick ice covering Chicago 20,000 years ago
Here's proof:

Spoiler

Old 07-17-2016, 07:01 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Are you certain of this? Is this stated by Berkeley Earth? If that's the case, that would be ridiculous.
Yes, if you scroll down it says one station within 1500 km; there's still some correlation in anamolies over that distance (a warmer than average year in Boston is likely to be a warmer than average year in Chicago — their method relies on correlation over distances).

The error range is huge for the 1700s because obviously the correlation isn't that strong. Still might be enough to estimate Chicago had a cold decade in the early 1800s.

Old 07-17-2016, 07:05 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Areas that have seen the most warming are the high latitudes of the Arctic. Twice the rate elsewhere. Is that co2? Ocean cycles? The sun? Or a combination? It seems that the evidence is mounting that carbon dioxide plays a major role in regulating the earth's climate over long periods.
The high latitudes seem to just change faster than the globe overall (in warming or cooling spells); regardless of the cause (sun, CO2, etc). Some of it is changing snow and ice cover = more sun reflected or absorbed. Don't think it's the only reason, northern Europe isn't that snowy and has lots of change. Though perhaps it affects airmasses further downstream.

Old 07-17-2016, 07:09 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,407,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
CO2 levels must of melted the mile thick ice covering Chicago 20,000 years ago

I promised myself not to contribute to this thread with some Ludacris comments. So have fun everyone.
I saw a graph that showed co2 levels actually follow temp rise. Temps for the holcene peaked 7000 years ago but co2 continued to rise after that. Also naturally the earth should be cooling as we have past the peak warmth of this interglacial. It is cooling if we look at the long term for the holcene slowly we have been cooling.

As you can see in this graphic there have been times where co2 rose as Temps plummeted. The graphic below shows that we have gradually been cooling the past few thousand years ever since the climate optimums. Every warming event has been getting weaker and shorter lived.
I'm not denying we are warming now because we clearly are but I just wanted to throw these out here.

Old 07-17-2016, 07:23 AM

This wikipedia page shows nothing that neat for the above

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...Variations.png

Old 07-17-2016, 07:25 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
This chart below shows winter temperatures in Chicago since 1872. A skim of this chart shows, basically, no trend. I suspect the same can be said of most if not all inhabited areas. The global warming or "climate change" alarmists will show us charts of "world" or "global" temperatures.

Can any show a chart like the one below where temperatures have shown a general pattern of increase based on consistently maintained records?

1. It isn't a chart it's a table.
2. Where is the data from?i.e. Which stations?
3. How does it determine winter temps? Average oh highs? Average of lows? From when to when?
4. What is the variance?

This is a meaningless data set without that info.

Old 07-17-2016, 07:27 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
I saw a graph that showed co2 levels actually follow temp rise. Temps for the holcene peaked 7000 years ago but co2 continued to rise after that. Also naturally the earth should be cooling as we have past the peak warmth of this interglacial. It is cooling if we look at the long term for the holcene slowly we have been cooling.

As you can see in this graphic there have been times where co2 rose as Temps plummeted. The graphic below shows that we have gradually been cooling the past few thousand years ever since the climate optimums. Every warming event has been getting weaker and shorter lived.
I'm not denying we are warming now because we clearly are but I just wanted to throw these out here.
Yes Co2 can be both causal and an effect of climate change. For example the current heating is causing permafrost to melt which is releasing co2 and methane back into the atmosphere. So?

As for your second graph no info on where data is from, which proxies were used, and where the variance went. It's crap.

Old 07-17-2016, 07:30 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,407,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
This wikipedia page shows nothing that neat for the above

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...Variations.png
I saw that graphic also. Still shows a cooling trend for the past few thousand years ever since the climatic optimums. Those climate optimum were the best for the globe. Saudi Arabia and much of the Sahara became greener as more rain fell. Much of Saudi Arabia was a savanna type landscape that got enough rainfall to support rivers and lakes even. I wish we could return to a warmer time period like that. Some people claim that we are currently warming out of a 2.6 million year ice age and this is it. I'm not so sure as we are still fluctuating between milankovitch cycles with the northern hemisphere summer slowly getting shorter.

Green desert: lush grasslands of Arabia helped early man make leap out of Africa | The National
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather