Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2016, 07:14 AM

5,706 posts, read 3,774,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
December is a bit early for cold spells for South Florida anyway. January and February is when the cold air is strong enough to finally push through down there.
Our coldest day ever (with a high of 45F and a low of 30F) was in December.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 08:21 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,219,445 times
16 F/-9 C after an impressively cold low of 3 F/-16 C (17 F below normal). Actually running right on average MTD. Weather for the upcoming week is looking pretty boring with highs in the 40s and lows in the 20s and 30s.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:33 AM

29,522 posts, read 19,616,477 times
How annoying so cold and snowy early December and now just as the holidays come, the pattern is a torch

Old 12-20-2016, 08:56 AM

6,908 posts, read 7,667,286 times
Colorado Avalanche reporter calls Winnipeg’s weather a ‘death sentence’ - Winnipeg | Globalnews.ca

Old 12-20-2016, 09:20 AM

5,734 posts, read 3,511,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Great all the snow will melt just in time for Christmas

From a near-record early week chill to a near 50-degree Christmas high

Arctic Oscillation and Polar Vortex Analysis and Forecasts | AER

Cold air may battle back though after the first or second week of January. At least Chicagoland will be on the edge of it according to the Euro. A lot could change though. What is certain is that the holiday period will be above average here.

To me the most striking thing is the huge amount of red north of the 80th parallel. I know its extent is exaggerated by the projection of the map but still...

Old 12-20-2016, 09:35 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,215,512 times
Quote:
How annoying so cold and snowy early December and now just as the holidays come, the pattern is a torch

It just goes to show that this is nature's way of maintaining a climactic equilibrium. I would give it a couple of weeks or so, then things should start turning significantly colder than average again; hang in there buddy

Old 12-20-2016, 09:52 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
It just goes to show that this is nature's way of maintaining a climactic equilibrium. I would give it a couple of weeks or so, then things should start turning significantly colder than average again; hang in there buddy
People need to remember (I have to remind myself too) that it is rare to get an entire month well below or well above. It comes in spurts and most of the time swings. Especially north of a certain latitude.

Feb 2015 the exception but if you look at any month in general, there is always 1 or 2 weeks that puts the month avg over the top or below the norm. It's never 3-4 straight weeks.

On a smaller scale even with Arctic blasts, while an entire 5 days will be below normal, there's always a core or the deepest part of it and will be only 1 day which is the most below normal.

Old 12-20-2016, 09:59 AM

29,522 posts, read 19,616,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
Just heard bastardi say on Weather Bell that this pattern is going to flip and stay for at least the next 20 days

He says that in all likelihood that it won't be until the end of January that we transition back to a cold pattern FML

No, it doesn't mean we won't get snow, but it means that any cold spells will be fleeting and it will be tough to maintain a snowpack for any length of time

Old 12-20-2016, 10:15 AM

2,508 posts, read 1,847,742 times
Still only 42 F at 12 noon. Not bad. Looks like that 50 F high forecast for today won't be reached.

Old 12-20-2016, 10:22 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,363,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
Dropped to a frigid 72F this morning, only 10F above average. I regret leaving my house without a parka.
Rumor has it Majami froze solid from the frigid temps this morning. He was "helping" the homeless, shielding them from the icy cold air before he froze himself.

Quote:
Seriously? I'm going to have thunderstorms on Christmas day?

https://twitter.com/HenryMargusity/s...99500928843777

Chicago's monthly temps to date

mine
Decided to delay my trip until around the time of my birthday (mid-February). I realized a lot of money is to be made on the week between Christmas and New Years from driving Uber (in fact, there was one day last year that I made $700 in one day!!) so I'm just going to stay here. Plus, the weather looks pretty lame up there, I even see a 47 F high figures it'd be frigid all of December until I head up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
December is a bit early for cold spells for South Florida anyway. January and February is when the cold air is strong enough to finally push through down there.
False. Some of our strongest cold snaps have occurred in December.

Astounds me how people come on here making statements like they know what they're talking about when they don't..lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather