Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2016, 08:52 AM

2,850 posts, read 1,964,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
UK Met model on aboard with high latitude blocking and a cold Eastern US this winter Europe may also see a colder winter
https://twitter.com/BenNollWeather/s...04875544289281
I hope I'm not so far west I miss out on the cold.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 09:46 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,889,635 times
Quote:
UK Met model on aboard with high latitude blocking and a cold Eastern US this winter Europe may also see a colder winter
https://twitter.com/BenNollWeather/s...04875544289281

These maps are tricky for me to figure out exactly how cold and where the cold will be.

From my recollection, in the eastern US the areas south of the green height anomaly (southeast US) will still be very cold cause that trough will push it all the way down into Florida, while over in Europe I am sure Spain and Italy, while not in the green zone, will be much milder and closer to average.

Why is that?

Old 09-14-2016, 09:53 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,889,635 times
Also George explain this shown in the two links below. One shows geopotential height anomalies over the NH in Jan 2014, and the other shows temp anomaly.

Why does Western Europe have a big negative height anomaly, yet above temps, while we have below temps in the East.

ESRL : PSD : Composite Daily Data Plot

ESRL : PSD : Composite Daily Data Plot

Old 09-14-2016, 10:01 AM

29,450 posts, read 19,545,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
From that same image where I circled is what I'm also keeping an eye on. The more heat that's there, the more convection that builds the more the moisture and storms comes across into the U.S. We need that around in connection with the Polar Jet Stream to get those big snowstorms.

Not looking too warm in that area right now.

Good point. That region is tied to the SOI. Right now the SOI is high and in La Nina territory. It is forecasted to drop which would then warm the waters there

https://twitter.com/BigJoeBastardi/s...40917751504896

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
These maps are tricky for me to figure out exactly how cold and where the cold will be.

From my recollection, in the eastern US the areas south of the green height anomaly (southeast US) will still be very cold cause that trough will push it all the way down into Florida, while over in Europe I am sure Spain and Italy, while not in the green zone, will be much milder and closer to average.

Why is that?

It depends where the Low and High pressure originate. For Spain, they may be under the influence of the Azores High which will bring them milder air. For Florida, it too looks like it will be under the influence of the Bermuda High. Green on the map is lower heights which in turn would allow for more unsettled weather, as well as the jet stream to dip further south bringing with it colder air.

Seems as if JB and others have given up on La Nina being the dominant driver this winter and are now focusing on the warm blob in the North Pacific which is definitely more pronounced now than it was this time last year.

https://twitter.com/BigJoeBastardi/s...41016780611584

Old 09-14-2016, 10:14 AM

Another met who says watch our for the Blob. Interesting video

https://twitter.com/joecioffi/status/774951115255349248

Old 09-14-2016, 10:59 AM

83,408 posts, read 74,932,541 times
Quote:
Another met who says watch our for the Blob. Interesting video

https://twitter.com/joecioffi/status...349248/photo/1
I think he meant 40" not 50" for Long Island.

Good video. Interesting reminder about Long Island having 4 winters in a row with 40"+ and he's right, statistically there's less chance of another above normal snowfall winter there.

I want to point out something he said that most people don't understand...

He said..
"What was happening in the northern Pacific throughout Spring and Summer this year was a very large cooling of water that had developed and spread into the Gulf of Alaska, which is very important, but that has completely reversed in the last month. Now we're back to having very warm water in the GOA"

COMPLETELY REVERSED IN A MONTH

People forget how quickly we can go from warm to cool or cool to warm even for the oceans.

Also remember.. just because its warm now, does mean the ridge get sustained right away. Might take months, and that's if it stays warm.

Old 09-14-2016, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I think he meant 40" not 50" for Long Island.

Good video. Interesting reminder about Long Island having 4 winters in a row with 40"+ and he's right, statistically there's less chance of another above normal snowfall winter there.

I want to point out something he said that most people don't understand...

He said..
"What was happening in the northern Pacific throughout Spring and Summer this year was a very large cooling of water that had developed and spread into the Gulf of Alaska, which is very important, but that has completely reversed in the last month. Now we're back to having very warm water in the GOA"

COMPLETELY REVERSED IN A MONTH

People forget how quickly we can go from warm to cool or cool to warm even for the oceans.

Also remember.. just because its warm now, does mean the ridge get sustained right away. Might take months, and that's if it stays warm.

SST's did cool thanks to El Nino, but even in June 2016, GOA had positive anomalies

Now they are just even more pronounced...

Old 09-14-2016, 12:32 PM

Blob might get help from Greenland this winter too

https://twitter.com/commoditywx/stat...15328363401216

Old 09-15-2016, 08:23 AM

206 posts, read 90,497 times
I Think the model's are overdoing the ridge and partially misinterpreting the trough in the east. I Think that there be a ridge in the GOA with ridging in the southwestern US from California to Utah and southern Oregon and southern Idaho, But with average heights over the pacific northwest and troughing in western Canada originating from eastern Alaska southeastwards into the central and eastern US. The would also be a smaller ridge over the southeastern US. I think the reason Models are putting low pressure over the western great lakes is because storms will be tracking from the southwest through the great lakes. Storms would also be tracking from the NNW from Canada towards the great lakes as well. Basically the pattern we had in 2013-14 but with the addition of an active southern jet and ridging in the southeastern US.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:48 PM

Latest jamstec run out...

https://twitter.com/BenNollWeather/s...83321245528064
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather