Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2017, 02:09 PM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times

Advertisements

NWS Binghamton just posted this...

If this was a widespread big snowstorm it would definitely be a new thread starter. lol

Last line is important with this graphic

Models have trended colder for sure but still a warm storm. Probably interior frozen stuff and mountains of course. We'll have to see how much moisture it has too.

New NAM getting into range. Crashes the 850 level to support snow in southern NY and CT. I'm not buying this yet

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 02:19 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,327,637 times
Seattle running at -7.3 so far. If it finishes below average this month...

It will be the first time they have below average temperatures in back to back months since May-July 2012! It's been a while lads

Old 01-19-2017, 02:36 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

Models have trended colder for sure but still a warm storm. Probably interior frozen stuff and mountains of course. We'll have to see how much moisture it has too.

New NAM getting into range. Crashes the 850 level to support snow in southern NY and CT. I'm not buying this yet

Am I reading this right? It's predicting almost three feet of snow for inland CT?

Old 01-19-2017, 02:51 PM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Am I reading this right? It's predicting almost three feet of snow for inland CT?

Whoa! I almost fell to the floor. lmao. I had to double check what I posted.

The color bar represents the intensity of the precip type. (dbz). not amount. So the darker blues = heavy snow for that particular hour (which is 1am Monday. but precip shown on maps are usually 3hrs worth so technically its for 11pm-1am)

Old 01-19-2017, 02:51 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,203,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
The first 15 days of January in Indianapolis logged a monthly average temperature of 29.4 Degrees( 1.4 Degrees above average) and the month to date's precipitation is also running above average, although month to date snowfall has been well below average. Quite a temperature gradient for just 200 miles between Chicago and Indianapolis thoughI sincerely hope that Chicago gets clobbered with snow next month, and hopefully Indianapolis will get some snow next month as well; Indianapolis so far has seen only 6 inches of Snow so far this winter(my gut feeling tells me that February might be snowier than January has been) it will be interesting to see what the rest of this winter has in store for Indianapolis(and of course the rest of the Midwest).
Northern IN, Southern MI, NW OH, 2017:

Look for a cloudy, rather calm late Jan and Feb. Temps slightly above normal, precipitation lower than normal. Snow will be almost non-existent except in lake effect belts - however, a "freak" Alberta clipper (they won't forecast it far in advance - skip the pattern thing) could bring a quick 4 - 6" snow to eastern lower MI, at end of Jan or early Feb. Other than that, dry, with a couple episodes of windy in Feb, and possibly a brief light spritz of frzg rain in late Feb. No real extremes in temp, the whole month. March will be slow to warm up. First 60's north of Fort Wayne won't be until March 21st or so, prior to that, it's 44 degrees for highs. Those 60's will be brief. April will average out near normal. A few warmish days, but otherwise 50's. Tornado season will be a complete flop north of I-70. One episode in mid-late April is possible, this confined to south of US 30 (I'm thinking Dayton, Marion, Columbus) but nothing to write home about. A strong NE'ster-like rainy storm system is possible in mid- late May, and maybe again in mid-June (a dying tropical storm over PA). Strong NE winds accompanying those systems could cause lakeshore flooding around Monroe, Grosse Pte Park, and Toledo's shoreline; 2" rains in some areas from Toledo to Cleveland, both times. Summer 2017 will start out cool and dry, but normal temps, and normal precip ensue in July. I can't rule out a late June, early July rogue storm system (tracks MO - to MI) which could bring some good T'storms, some local flooding, and possibly a SSE-ward moving squall line east of its track. This could bring flooding rain, damaging winds, a tornado or two along its western end...I'm thinking NE or N central OH, western PA, WVa). Hot, very dry mid-late August in this area, becomes downright "droughty" by second week of Sept. when rains finally return. If this pattern occurs (I'm not always right these days; we'll just have to see) you can expect a frigid December, 2017 with oodles of snow - very persistent, continuing into mid - late Jan., 2018.

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 01-19-2017 at 03:12 PM..

Old 01-19-2017, 02:55 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Yeah, if it was snow it would of been HUGE. The October curse lives on.

But i knew would be rain

To be honest, Im done with winter this year. I dont want arctic air or snowstorms. Im fine with 30s and 40s with rain though
so Wunderground has over a foot of snow for northern New Hampshire now

https://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin...y=Gorham%2C+NH

GFS has 10 inches over much of Vermont, New Hampshire and the Berkshires of Massachusetts

Old 01-19-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Whoa! I almost fell to the floor. lmao. I had to double check what I posted.

The color bar represents the intensity of the precip type. (dbz). not amount. So the darker blues = heavy snow for that particular hour (which is 1am Monday. but precip shown on maps are usually 3hrs worth so technically its for 11pm-1am)
lol, I should have been able to recognize that; it looks like an intensity map

Old 01-19-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Chilly in the Last Frontier

The cold seems well trapped, looks mild south of 58°N or so. It appears the coldest Alaskan temperatures may be a region topographically confined; interior with the Brooks Range to the north, Alaska to the south

Old 01-19-2017, 03:00 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,364,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The cold seems well trapped, looks mild south of 58°N or so. It appears the coldest Alaskan temperatures may be a region topographically confined; interior with the Brooks Range to the north, Alaska to the south
Definitely, the coldest winters in AK seem to be in the Yukon River Flats, places like Fort Yukon, Chalkyistik, etc.

Or at least there's where the most extreme cold happens. Fort Yukon has a record low of -78 F also had an entire month that averaged -40/-58.

Old 01-19-2017, 03:21 PM

2,652 posts, read 3,410,408 times

It's been drizzling and very cloudy, doesn't really feel mild as I expected. Saturday's high temp will climb up to around 60°F.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather