Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2017, 08:10 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ral31 View Post
Looks like Hattiesburg, MS got hit pretty hard by an early morning tornado. 4 deaths being reported at this time.

Not a good way to wake up. Don't remind me why I hate severe weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
I'll get back to you on that. Right now the tool on the NWS/Chicago webpage to check that data isn't working for some reason.
I'm surprised a weather nut like you doesn't keep a log of weather at your location. I keep track of all precip events with a simple Excel form. I recently started keeping better track of daily snow depth. Airports and backyards will differ but I understand you can get an idea from it. Just surprised you don't keep your own log.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
That alert woke me up this morning.

Northeast winds should keep it from flooding over here, if we had southeast winds coming right off of the ocean it'd be a different ballgame. But still, 60 mph gusts are nothing to sneeze at, those might be the strongest winds since Sandy's Cat 2 strength gusts.

We'll see how strong they get. A lot of times it's really only a few gusts very high and done but wow at the forecast for sure.

Also note... no leaves on the trees so its not as bad as if there were.

Also, ground is wet but because its semi frozen it's not really saturated too far down.

Also, it could be raining with these gusts. That means intense sideways rains. Gonna feel like a Tropical storm with temps in the 40s

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2017, 08:15 AM

10:15am radar. Nasty line of storms now entering Southern Georgia and Florida. Poor folks. Dealing with Summer temps most of this winter then this in January. Tornado warnings smaller red outline.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:45 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,448,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ral31 View Post
Looks like Hattiesburg, MS got hit pretty hard by an early morning tornado.
That's scary stuff. I can't remember hearing any tornadoes in KY that occurred at night.

Old 01-21-2017, 09:05 AM

5,036 posts, read 4,350,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat15 View Post
That's scary stuff. I can't remember hearing any tornadoes in KY that occurred at night.
It seems that they are fairly common in the Deep South. Some of the worst tornadoes that have affected central LA occurred overnight.

Old 01-21-2017, 09:40 AM

5,036 posts, read 4,350,891 times
Risk has been upgraded to Moderate for areas to my north, mostly due to the hail threat.

Quote:
...AR/LA/MS This Afternoon and Evening...
Water vapor loop shows a lead shortwave trough moving eastward
across the Gulf Coast states. Subsidence behind this system will
help to suppress deep convection over the ArkLaTex region for a few
more hours. However, another shortwave trough over NM and West TX
will lead to increasing lift and cooling aloft by mid/late
afternoon. Present indications are that scattered thunderstorms
will develop over southeast OK and northeast TX around peak heating
and track eastward across parts of AR/LA and into MS this evening.
Forecast soundings show steep lapse rates, cold mid level
temperatures, and favorable deep layer shear values to promote a
widespread risk of severe hail. CAM solutions also indicate
discrete supercells will be favored, further increasing the risk of
very large hail and a few tornadoes. Therefore have upgraded
portions of this area to MDT risk for the hail threat.
Map of hail risk

Old 01-21-2017, 09:50 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Interesting; tying the coming storm to wave size. Don't usually see maps like these

https://twitter.com/crankywxguy/stat...44183610322944

Old 01-21-2017, 10:19 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,211,978 times
Feeling more like late March or early April in Indianapolis today than late January, forecast is calling for highs today to be in the lower to middle 60's.

Old 01-21-2017, 10:43 AM

Zoomed out you cant see so here's a close up.. The sun finally poked through just now here... Instant relief. God I hate clouds in winter. WTF!

Zoomed out. Tornado warning just issued south of Macon. Crazy squall line continues

Old 01-21-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Interesting; tying the coming storm to wave size. Don't usually see maps like these
Strong Storm + Upper Low = spin and churn. So doesn't surprise me to see higher waves out in the Atlantic. Typically happens with a strong storm.

Here's another look at wave heights. 18'+ Monday evening

Old 01-21-2017, 10:53 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,964 times
Clouds in the winter suck ass

Finally sunny here! WTF!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather