Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2017, 02:13 PM

29,513 posts, read 19,610,114 times

Advertisements

Evacuations ordered as biggest storm in years moves into Southern California
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2017, 02:24 PM

5,039 posts, read 4,352,770 times
Quite gusty here this afternoon with a wind advisory. West wind at 21 mph.

Old 01-22-2017, 02:25 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,272,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Yeah, I realize I am just mad as you can see from my rant above. Good news is 0 palm casualties from the 9 degrees that I know of. Nice seeing you on here again, I have an account on Palm talk now, I was the one posting street view links.
No you're fine. I remember the first year I started growing palms and following weather closely was the winter of 2013-2014. I was seething pissed off like you are now. Palm guys in my area told me after the fact that that particular event was worse as anything in the 80's. I thought it was a bad omen and I thought it was a message for me to stop in my adventure of growing palms... Lol Glad to see you have an account on Palmtalk. Nice guys over there like on the weather forum here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
A sub tropical low like a tropical storm?? None present. And no, that isnt causing instability. Or do you mean sub tropical jet?

Look up "southeast ridge" and you'll know why you been warm. Not everyone has. Polar jet stream retreated back to Canada which allowed the South east ridge to pop back north and add Pacific flowing across U.S to the mix.

Upper Lows are basically storms in the upper levels of the atmosphere which gets cut off from the actual Jet stream. If you play the Satellite loop you'll see it spinning.

Upper Lows usualy cause cool cloudy conditions underneath it. This time is different being from Pacific origin its not that cold.

Upper lows cause instability and strong winds especialy when they catch up to a surface storm as is happening tomorrow.

Oh, yes, yes- I meant subtropical jet Not subtropical low.

Interesting, I'll look up southeast ridge. I'm still learning the basics of weather, forgive me. Everytime there is a weather event this way my friends and family start asking me questions, and the questions I can't answer I come on here and look for your posts, Cambium. So thanks for the education lol

Old 01-22-2017, 02:36 PM

83,511 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
Oh, yes, yes- I meant subtropical jet Not subtropical low.

Interesting, I'll look up southeast ridge. I'm still learning the basics of weather, forgive me. Everytime there is a weather event this way my friends and family start asking me questions, and the questions I can't answer I come on here and look for your posts, Cambium. So thanks for the education lol
Cool. Thanks. NP. Everyone is always learning, I sure am.. Nobody knows everything. Yeah, Sub Jet cant create instability but more so moisture as well. Dont hesitate to ask questions! Twitter is great source for knowledge from meteorologists and hobbyists. Accuweather forum as well. Thats where I learned most of stuff.

Old 01-22-2017, 02:42 PM

29,513 posts, read 19,610,114 times
So CFSv2 weekly... Where is the cold February for Eastern 2/3rds?

Old 01-22-2017, 02:53 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,272,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Cool. Thanks. NP. Everyone is always learning, I sure am.. Nobody knows everything. Yeah, Sub Jet cant create instability but more so moisture as well. Dont hesitate to ask questions! Twitter is great source for knowledge from meteorologists and hobbyists. Accuweather forum as well. Thats where I learned most of stuff.
Thanks man. I looked up southeast ridge and didn't find very much. What are the basics and why does it occur only in the SE?

I checked out accuweather forum, neat stuff.

Old 01-22-2017, 03:20 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,323,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
So CFSv2 weekly... Where is the cold February for Eastern 2/3rds?
Oh there will be plenty of cold, just most of it will be in the West. Not like they don't deserve it

Old 01-22-2017, 03:31 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,269,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Oh there will be plenty of cold, just most of it will be in the West. Not like they don't deserve it
Good.

The west can have it, enjoying the mild non winter, so far

Old 01-22-2017, 03:47 PM

83,511 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
Thanks man. I looked up southeast ridge and didn't find very much. What are the basics and why does it occur only in the SE? .
Google Hell and that's pretty much it. lol

Well, SER might not be basic. I don't know what your level of knowledge is, I don't want to disrespect by linking stuff. How about start with this with learning about troughs and ridges? (what brings cold and heat, sunny dry and clouds humid, ect) WHAT IS A TROUGH AND A RIDGE?

Remember the Top Down Approach. Weather & Climate at the surface are controlled from the Upper & mid Levels in general

Old 01-22-2017, 04:27 PM

2,197 posts, read 1,493,891 times
Another bust today. Supposed to have a high of 54, I mean 45. Snooze.....

6 1/2 days or 157 hours since the last temperature below 32 or above 50. And more drizzle. I'm so done with this oceanic crap. At least we get some snow coming up but the temps will still be lame and boring and stuck in the 20-35 range. Whatever idiot pattern we're having now neeeds to die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather