Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 11:55 AM

13,484 posts, read 9,025,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Did I claim it can grow in central NC unprotected any where? What was it doing? Growing but with protection. Obviously it doesn't belong in central nc.
You wrote:
Quote:
There was one guy growing and protecting one in central NC many years ago. 15 is not too optimistic for queen palms.
You were using that one as example that they can take colder temperatures, which isn't the case. If you need to protect it then it isn't hardy there is it...

The good thing about Queen palms is that they are very fast growing, (& cheap), so they will get to a good size in those parts of the US south that get killer freezes every several years or so. If they die, just replace...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 12:05 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,406,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
You wrote:

You were using that one as example that they can take colder temperatures, which isn't the case. If you need to protect it then it isn't hardy there is it...

The good thing about Queen palms is that they are very fast growing, (& cheap), so they will get to a good size in those parts of the US south that get killer freezes every several years or so. If they die, just replace...
My point was they were growing in a colder point without the need to be boxed up completely like other palms. Of course they would have been protected many nights in winter extensively though.

Old 08-05-2016, 01:19 PM

2,508 posts, read 1,847,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I thought they were less cold tolerant than that, maybe around 18-19F.
You might be right. That is roughly the coldest the Savannah area has gotten within the last 10 years. I was going through some old images and found this:

Areas on land (including islands) were in the teens, but stations very close (within feet) to water/marshes were in the 20-22 F range.

Man, I really wish I had screencapped the Charleston area on the mornings of Jan 7, 2014 and Feb 20, 2015 so I could compare. I'm not sure what their area's overall coldest night of the last decade looks like.

Old 08-05-2016, 02:31 PM

1,440 posts, read 2,541,288 times
Charleston may be warm, but Houston, New Orleans, and Jacksonville are in a league of their own. All 3 are at the high end of 9a/bordering 9b while Charleston is 8b/9a.

Old 08-05-2016, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
Charleston may be warm, but Houston, New Orleans, and Jacksonville are in a league of their own. All 3 are at the high end of 9a/bordering 9b while Charleston is 8b/9a.
What the hell do Houston, new Orleans, and Jacksonville have to do with any of this. Cold Epoch Troll. Charleston is 9a transitioning to 8b as you head inland.

Old 08-05-2016, 04:39 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,325,947 times
Quote:
They're all farther south?

Old 08-05-2016, 06:47 PM

This Wilmington couple grows queen palms. I'm sure they protected them during 2014 and 2015 though.

Couple transform small yard into cozy hideaway - News - Wilmington Star News - Wilmington, NC

Old 08-05-2016, 07:34 PM

470 posts, read 454,821 times
Quote:
What the hell do Houston, new Orleans, and Jacksonville have to do with any of this. Cold Epoch Troll. Charleston is 9a transitioning to 8b as you head inland.
To be fair, the OP was talking about how peninsular Charleston was supposedly as warm or warmer than those cities. Slightly misguided, considering that all three cities, as of latest climate trends, have yearly min minimums just short of zone 10A.

Houston:
http://i.imgur.com/z014xxc.png

New Orleans:
http://i.imgur.com/IHNKLq7.png

Jacksonville:
http://i.imgur.com/14hAc9m.png

Old 08-06-2016, 12:12 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,273,529 times
Quote:
I agree for the most part; initially, this is what I exactly thought as well. Then I started comparing the data from Wikipedia and according to those numbers, downtown Charleston is marginally warmer. Heck, look at the data set for North Charleston Airport, which is just above the "neck" or peninsula of Charleston. Wildly different temperatures and they're only several miles apart, maybe a little more. I'm sure there are plenty of microclimate areas in Jacksonville, N.O. and Houston that beats Charleston's downtown temperatures hands down, but by looking at these datasets I was pretty amazed. And the proof is not only in the numbers; drive down to downtown Charleston and see what I mean. I can't wait to travel there in the winter time to see what fall foliage, or lack thereof, there is.

Quote:
This Wilmington couple grows queen palms. I'm sure they protected them during 2014 and 2015 though.

Couple transform small yard into cozy hideaway - News - Wilmington Star News - Wilmington, NC

If they have an excellent and I mean excellent microclimate, sure it's doable without protection MOST years. I saw the article mentioning King Palms as well... Geesh, they're really pushing it with that. What are King palms cold hardy to, mid 20's at best?

Old 08-06-2016, 12:21 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,273,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIRAL View Post
To be fair, the OP was talking about how peninsular Charleston was supposedly as warm or warmer than those cities. Slightly misguided, considering that all three cities, as of latest climate trends, have yearly min minimums just short of zone 10A.

Houston:
http://i.imgur.com/z014xxc.png

New Orleans:
http://i.imgur.com/IHNKLq7.png

Jacksonville:
http://i.imgur.com/14hAc9m.png
Interesting, is there a dataset for Charleston? I wonder if it would be the same as the link I found below.

According to this, Charleston has only seen 15 winters below a 9A zone in the last 115 years.

Weather History for Charleston, SC [South Carolina] for January

I averaged all of the minimum temperatures from this data set for Charleston since 1991 and it came out to 28.6 degrees (If someone wants to double check my math, feel free to). Right inline with Houston, N.O. and Jacksonville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather