Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2016, 06:36 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,311,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
No it isn't. We got along just fine with the dryish heat in Central Texas. We BBQ's, went to the pools, rode bikes, etc and had no problems doing it as kids. I seen adults walk, do many activities throughout the day in Central Texas under the July and August heat. It is not as miserable as you think it is/was. Also, I know many people who prefer Central Texas or North Texas climate to Southeast Texas. Some do not care for the high humidity and dewpoints that is in Houston.
I agree with this. There is nothing better than good barbecue after a nice hot day when the sun is setting, texas has tons of pools too. Even a place like dallas in north texas is an 8a hardiness zone, how is a state that can grow everything from grapefruit ,oranges,lemons limes, wineries in the hill country and olive oil,pecans, even pistachio tress out west, all types of palms not an amazing climate

The best thing about the southwest for me is the lack of light pollution we get in the southeast. Beautiful open spaces and starry skies . Way too many people and too much light pollution in florida for nice stargazing, Kissimmee State Park is the only dark sky place in florida, you have to get up to the appalachian mountains , north carolina and Virginia have a few designated dark sky places or sailing to get away from the light pollution in the southeast

Find a Dark Sky Place

Texas has quite a few of the top dark sky designated parks and reserves ,big bend horseshoe bay, enchanted rock,dripping springs . I love Astronomy and want to take a trip out there with my telescope and camp out there . I am planning a trip to Big bend or dripping springs soon, thats why I love texas, wide open spaces and really cool cities too. dripping springs is like 25 miles from austin, big bend looks phenomenal. .texas hill country is amazing. wineries,peach orchards, beautiful camping and stargazing and great tech city like Austin right there

texas just needs to get that japanese bullet train/ high speed rail moving to unite more of the texas triangle

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 06:42 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,380,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
I agree with this. There is nothing better than good barbecue after a nice hot day when the sun is setting, texas has tons of pools too. Even a place like dallas in north texas is an 8a hardiness zone, how is a state that can grow everything from grapefruit ,oranges,lemons limes, wineries in the hill country and olive oil,pecans, even pistachio tress out west, all types of palms not an amazing climate

The best thing about the southwest for me is the lack of light pollution we get in the southeast. Beautiful open spaces and starry skies . Way too many people and too much light pollution in florida for nice stargazing, Kissimmee State Park is the only dark sky place in florida, you have to get up to the appalachian mountains , north carolina and Virginia have a few designated dark sky places or sailing to get away from the light pollution in the southeast

Find a Dark Sky Place

Texas and the southwest have quite a few of the top dark sky places big bend horseshoe bay, enchanted rock,dripping springs . I love Astronomy and want to take a trip out there with my telescope and camp out there . I am planning a trip to Big bend or dripping springs soon, thats why I love texas, wide open spaces and really cool cities too. dripping springs is like 25 miles from austin, big bend looks phenomenal. .texas hill country is amazing. wineries,peach orchards, beautiful camping and stargazing and great tech city like Austin right there

texas just needs to get that japanese bullet train/ high speed rail moving to unite more of the texas triangle

That's because of how large of a state Texas is and how sparsely populated it is outside of the Texas triangle. I wish the southeast would be the same and have dense cities and large portions of the rest of the state are esparsely populated. Here in NC the best place to view the stars is out on the long 20 something miles stretch of undeveloped beach front on Ocracoke island. Also cape Hatteras is absolutely amazing for stargazing.

Old 08-08-2016, 06:48 PM

Ocracoke island

Caswell beach

Bodie island lighthouse

Cape Hatteras

Oak island

Seems much of the NC coast is perfect for stargazing, as is much of the mountains. My house is 20 miles away from Raleigh and in a decent spot for stargazing relative to the city. I see plenty of stars at night but still too much light so I can't see the milky way.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:00 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,311,049 times
wow those are amaizng pics. I want to buy a canon and take up photography. North carolina has some dark sky designated places for sure. I could definitely see the north carolina outer banks as amazing for that, very little light pollution. You can camp right near the beach in north carolina too. I love the southern sea islands and thank god for state parks.

I love Georgia's coast for its wildness too, my favorite west coast beaches are the ones that are wild and sparsely populated as well, so nice to walk on a beach and its not packed with people. On many of Georgia's sea islands you can walk for miles and see just a few people.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
wow those are amaizng pics. I want to buy a canon and take up photography. North carolina has some dark sky designated places for sure. I could definitely see the north carolina outer banks as amazing for that, very little light pollution. You can camp right near the beach in north carolina too. I love the southern sea islands and thank god for state parks.

I love Georgia's coast for its wildness too, my favorite west coast beaches are the ones that are wild and sparsely populated as well, so nice to walk on a beach and its not packed with people. On many of Georgia's sea islands you can walk for miles and see just a few people.
Yep, plus in winter hardly anyone is living at the outerbanks. Thinking about camping there some time in December.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:11 PM

2,197 posts, read 1,485,936 times
This is stupid. One guy is taking his opinion and thinking its absolute and that everybody everywhere agrees with him. Not everybody wants sauna-like Summer's or high rainfall or warm winters. VIRAL is just that-viral. He needs to learn people can have their own opinions of what's a good climate. I for one, love the climate of the Texas panhandle. Cool variable winters with snow and warmth, lots of sun and little cold rain. Summer's are hot, but dry and cool off at night. Very nice.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:11 PM

470 posts, read 450,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Just look at a forecast for Barcelona in winter, and you will see what I mean. It is like everyday is high temps in the 50'sF and lows in the 40'sF. If it deviates 10F, it is usually for on stretch of a few days during winter, not back and forth all winter long like here. I've looked at temps in places like Barcelona year after year and you just don't see the kind of up and down we get here. Same for Australia, etc.

Here in eastern North America, almost every single winter has a deviation of 20F for just about everybody. I doubt you will find that at most places in the world at the latitude of say Charleston, SC.
The coastal SE US doesn't seem that bad in this. Average lows for Houston and New Orleans are in the 40s during winter, and both cities did not freeze this past winter (no lower than 34F). 34F is only a 10F deviation from the average winter lows in Houston and New Orleans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelernation71 View Post
This is stupid. One guy is taking his opinion and thinking its absolute and that everybody everywhere agrees with him. Not everybody wants sauna-like Summer's or high rainfall or warm winters. VIRAL is just that-viral. He needs to learn people can have their own opinions of what's a good climate. I for one, love the climate of the Texas panhandle. Cool variable winters with snow and warmth, lots of sun and little cold rain. Summer's are hot, but dry and cool off at night. Very nice.
Inland TX is a fail climate, end of story.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:17 PM

20,502 posts, read 33,351,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIRAL View Post
The coastal SE US doesn't seem that bad in this. Average lows for Houston and New Orleans are in the 40s during winter, and both cities did not freeze this past winter (no lower than 34F). 34F is only a 10F deviation from the average winter lows in Houston and New Orleans.

That's your opinion...and stuff.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:17 PM

2,197 posts, read 1,485,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIRAL View Post

It's a climate fail TO YOU. TOO ME it's a climate gift. Many people find dry heat better than humid heat and if you want moderate summers, Anarillo is more moderate than Houston. It averages about 91/66 in July so highs are almost 3 degrees cooler and there is welcome relief at night as opposed to sauna like nights in the 70s or 80s almost every day.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:34 PM

470 posts, read 450,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelernation71 View Post
It's a climate fail TO YOU. TOO ME it's a climate gift. Many people find dry heat better than humid heat and if you want moderate summers, Anarillo is more moderate than Houston. It averages about 91/66 in July so highs are almost 3 degrees cooler and there is welcome relief at night as opposed to sauna like nights in the 70s or 80s almost every day.
Amarillo is too dry, and gets way too freakishly cold in winter. And on top of that it is in the Tornado Alley. No thanks, you can keep this fail climate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
That's your opinion...and stuff.
OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather