Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2016, 10:11 PM

470 posts, read 453,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat15 View Post
That streetview is virtually indistinguishable from a location that has a true tropical climate. Therefore, I disagree with the statement it looks "more subtropical" than the SE US.

In fact, I would argue that the US has the most distinctive subtropical biome on earth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aKkEdpYQQA
Seems that Texas climates become amazing when you get into the micro-climates. In addition to well known island micro-climates (South Padre, Galveston,etc) you also have the Brazos Delta. The Brazos Delta sits at at slight projection into the Gulf, angled such that the SW desert winds that can blow across the state only reach the area through crossing water. As a result, rainfall is consistent year-round. On top of that, soils are silty, and easier for trees to grow in versus the heavy clay in much of TX. As a result, vegetation similar to what is in your video is seen (minus the Sabal palmettos, which don't go west of the FL Panhandle for some reason). Also, the soils of the delta are more alkaline, so pine trees aren't as common as in the SE US, where soils are more acidic:
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.0607...8i1664!6m1!1e1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
It should be divided up into multiple states. Houston should not be in the same state as El Paso.
Any particular reason why?

Old 08-10-2016, 06:28 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I agree, the Texan climate is disastrous for its latitude, unbearable in the summer but somehow still too cold in the winter. Just compare Dallas with Buenos Aires and Adelaide which are at roughly the same latitude. No offense but Buenos Aires and Adelaide are like a million times better than Dallas, and it's not even close. Or just compare it with San Diego which is it a similar latitude as well, San Diego is much milder and pleasant than Dallas, both in summer, winter, spring, and just pretty much 100% of the time
Buenos Aires, Adelaide and San Diego. Comparing three coastal cities to landlocked cities. Sounds scientific.

Old 08-10-2016, 06:31 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,577,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
Buenos Aires, Adelaide and San Diego. Comparing three coastal cities to landlocked cities. Sounds scientific.
Technically, Houston is coastal (if you consoder the whole metro) and they still get some freezes and ice in the winter, and 95 degree temps with 105-110 degree heat indicies in summer

Old 08-10-2016, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Technically, Houston is coastal (if you consoder the whole metro) and they still get some freezes and ice in the winter, and 95 degree temps with 105-110 degree heat indicies in summer
Freezing doesn't happen at all many years in Galveston, or other immediate coastal areas of the metro. Further inland (but South of I-10), freezes don't happen much in a year, and when they do, it is a brief 1-2hr stay at upper 20s-lower 30s before rebounding to 50s/60s in the afternoon.

It is rare for temps to go above the mid 90s in coastal Houston/Galveston.

The poster, though, was more stressing the point that it would have been more appropriate to compare Dallas with other inland areas in the subtropics at similar latitudes, not with coastal areas.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:24 AM

2,130 posts, read 2,268,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
You went from promoting the Gulf Coast as the premier subtropical climate to riding Tom's dick. A complete 180. I don't understand what you want. You went from talking about the cold epoch to talking about how us subtropical climates are ****ty. Completely 2 different ends on the spectrum.
Lol VIRAL may be Tom-the-sky-is-falling little brother in training. JK!

I don't consider east, south and northeast Texas too crazy, or a rip-off. West Texas certainly could be labeled this.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:33 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,913,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Raleigh Neighborhoods in winter.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ea...271065!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.7898...7i13312!8i6656

As you notice these links are from February 2016. January 2016 was more than 3 degrees below average and February for the most part was below average and only finished average because of 5 really warm days in the 70s. This one is my favorite streetviews, flowering roses , flowering cherry tree during February.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.8112...7i13312!8i6656

As you will notice by now, shocker, there are broadleaf evergreen trees and bushes everywhere. Hell in this last link if you head down a bit you will see a house with multiple large windmill palms.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.8172...7i13312!8i6656

First off, Jan 2016 was -1.7F below avg, not -3F. Feb was .7F below. The ultimate low all winter was 15F in Feb, 5F higher than the long term avg of 10F (using 1980 to present). How did it look there in 2014 and 2015 with your winter min of 7F each year?

Old 08-10-2016, 07:36 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,401,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
First off, Jan 2016 was -1.7F below avg, not -3F. Feb was .7F below. The ultimate low all winter was 15F in Feb, 5F higher than the long term avg of 10F (using 1980 to present). How did it look there in 2014 and 2015 with your winter min of 7F each year?
All the green you saw was broadleaf, aside from the grass looking duller it would have still been green. Average high for January was 3 degrees below average. Also 10 is fairly wrong because we have only been that cold or colder 5 times since 1990. May be the mean but but we have hardly gotten that cold in the past 26 years.

Also Tom you are a great poster I just wish you would not be so negative and "the sky is falling" or crying wolf. Both me and Smith are aware of how cold our climates can get, we are aware how stable other climates are. Doesn't stop us from liking our climates, or growing subtropicals.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
Lol VIRAL may be Tom-the-sky-is-falling little brother in training. JK!

I don't consider east, south and northeast Texas too crazy, or a rip-off. West Texas certainly could be labeled this.
No.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:50 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,913,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIRAL View Post
Just this one street looks more subtropical than much of the SE US outside of the coast:
https://www.google.com/maps/@-29.853...8i6656!6m1!1e1

The subtropical beaches of Durban:

In Texas, there is always some limiting factor that prevents this pure subtropical perfection that you get in Durban.

The northern coast of Houston/Galveston and Beaumont has the wet lushness, but the water isn't as clear, and the winters are cooler than Durban (although Galveston has mild lows). Also, the large population is too centered away from the coast; Houston should have been built closer to Galveston, so that there would be more connection between the two. If there is something that can fix Galveston's water, then the beaches will always be clear, and Houston will become a greater tourist destination.

The southern Texas coast has warm winters, but is far too arid in climate. If it had higher population, and less poverty, then it would be more developed.

Galveston:

Corpus Christi:

South Padre:

Not my pics
The water is immaterial for climate imo, though I surely don't enjoy swimming in brown murky river water. The brown murky water is a feature of the very high tide range combined with the all the swamps and wetlands pulling out murky marsh water into the ocean. Again, most subtropical waters in the world don't look like that. There are a few small exceptions in the Southeast which would be FL panhandle, the FL peninsula from Daytona on down, and the Outer Banks of NC. Other than that, you get murky brown water on the beaches. In Texas the tide range is small, but the MS river puts loads of sediment into the water since they built all those flood control features on the river. Before that, the delta south of NOLA would have all that sediment settle out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather