Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2016, 09:48 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,110,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
For now, moving to SoCal in 2 years

Amd anyways, Phoenix isn't really flyover country anymore, it's part of the Southwest Triangle (LA,LV,PHX), lot of commerce between the three metros on a daily basis
You sure you didn't say that 2 years ago??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 09:58 PM

470 posts, read 454,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelernation71 View Post
Some people actually like dry weather. Lots of people find humidity u comfortable and don't always want rain to ruin their plans. And millions of people live in Phoenix, LA, San Diego etc. which are even drier so west Texas is not too dry for humane living.

And I was only talking about the summers. West Texas has far more tolerable summers--drier and cooler, especially at night. No one thinks 95/80 is more tolerable than 90/60 not counting the humidity.
Dryness during summer = utter boredom (not to mention torture for the plants).

Old 08-10-2016, 10:16 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,918,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
How does that compare to mexican freight? I dont think that "southwest triangle" is a reality economic wise is it? I may be wrong but i never heard of it.

Could not disagree more. West texas is gorgeous and lack of humidity and open spaces and lack of light pollution helps for looking at the stars. amazing dark sky regions and open spaces and places for a telescope and camping,. Texas is enormous, have you ever visited big bend and west texas?

I could swear you work for some sort of US tourism agency or marketing group. You can't seem to find one flaw in any climate or locale in the US, particularly the South lol. What's up? Have you any thoughts on the rest of planet earth and what it has to offer?

Old 08-10-2016, 10:17 PM

Old 08-10-2016, 10:25 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,918,472 times
Cause humid "subtropical" is subjective. Discounting precip, I would call it continental far more than subtropical.

Old 08-10-2016, 10:33 PM

2,197 posts, read 1,493,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIRAL View Post
Dryness during summer = utter boredom (not to mention torture for the plants).
Only weather geeks care about having interesting weather over comfortable weather in summer. And Amarillo still gets about 3" and 8 days of rain per summer month, not much less than Rochester so you can't say it has a dry summer but still has relatively low humidity and is cooler.

Old 08-10-2016, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelernation71 View Post
Only weather geeks care about having interesting weather over comfortable weather in summer. And Amarillo still gets about 3" and 8 days of rain per summer month, not much less than Rochester so you can't say it has a dry summer but still has relatively low humidity and is cooler.
Amarillo averages less than 3 inches of rain in July and August. It has decently frequent rain days, but the totals are low. It still is just too dry for my standards, however, and, of course, winters are too frigid and extreme.

Last edited by VIRAL; 08-10-2016 at 10:54 PM..

Old 08-11-2016, 03:51 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,585,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
You sure you didn't say that 2 years ago??
I've only been a member of this site since March, so how could I have said that two years ago?

I would already live in CA now, but waiting on my fiance to tie up affairs in Phoenix first, mainly school (ASU)

Old 08-11-2016, 06:30 AM

3,615 posts, read 2,327,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I could swear you work for some sort of US tourism agency or marketing group. You can't seem to find one flaw in any climate or locale in the US, particularly the South lol. What's up? Have you any thoughts on the rest of planet earth and what it has to offer?

You have been on this site for 6 years making the same exact post over and over and over about how flawed the north america climate is yet you still live in north america? stop whining about it and move already. lol

Old 08-11-2016, 08:18 AM

2,130 posts, read 2,270,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
There were many times in the past, and will be again, where Columbia stayed below freezing for more than 24 hours. Heck, the city averages one ice day a year over the long term. Yes I know that winters have been warmer, but do you really think weather like the 1960's thru 80's will never return?

Everyone has preferences on here, especially the cold lovers that are celebrated. I hate winters where temps go up and down. It is hard on a persons health.

This winter I'll drive down to Columbia when we are a freezing hell hole and you are basking in warmth. We can drive around and look at all the winter greenery.
In the last 68 years, since 1948, there have only been 16 years of the 68 that failed to reach freezing at the West Columbia airport location. Obviously, this location is colder than Columbia so it might be a little less than 16 at or below freezing for Columbia. So that's less than a quarter of the time the Columbia area fails to go above freezing. This isn't something that happens "many times".

Even during the second worst freezing day and night in recorded weather history in Columbia, the 1985 freeze, the high for the day was 28 degrees in Columbia. The city stayed below freezing for just one day. According to the Daily Gamecock, the University of South Carolina student newspaper, the next day they reported more "moderate" temperatures in the low 50's for the high and low 30's for the low. It's rare to have days below freezing in the sunbelt and when they happen, they're not days on end like up your way.

Winters have been warmer and according to this line graph, the average number of freezing days per year has been decreasing. What they don't include is this past winter, where in Irmo, we only had 33 days below freezing. But hey, I'm not delusional, we will have our 8A/7B winters, but I plant accordingly and I'm still able to maintain a relatively nice subtropical garden with very little casualties. More times than not, these casualties are a result of bud rot in the crown rather than the outright cold.

Number of Days Below Freezing in Columbia

With the sun angle we have, you can easily bask in relatively mild warmth in the winter time. We can do that and take a little hike through some sabal minor groves which is quite pretty nestled along the river. Then I'll show you the native Spanish moss that grows on the trees along the river. Even with the leafless deciduous trees that dominate the river basin, the Spanish moss in the winter time is a consolation prize for the lack of leaves, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather