Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2016, 11:17 AM

765 posts, read 573,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
If you're a person who likes rain in the summer, how would you NOT notice a lack of rain? Even if summer is a little below average in terms of precipitation here (which summers are VERY wet here) I notice it.
Does the weather never recede into the background for you? Like you'd be enjoying the summer, going to the beach or whatever and before you know it it's been a whole month since the last time there was any rain. Would you ever have a month with very little rainfall surrounded by two months with lots of rainfall? That happens all the time here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 11:38 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,361,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lab276 View Post
Does the weather never recede into the background for you? Like you'd be enjoying the summer, going to the beach or whatever and before you know it it's been a whole month since the last time there was any rain. Would you ever have a month with very little rainfall surrounded by two months with lots of rainfall? That happens all the time here.
Nope, unfortunately I don't exactly have time to go to the beach very often and even then I don't exactly like it anyways. And not getting rain is always noticeable when you have a garden. Also, being a weather enthusiast I enjoy different types of weather. When we've been getting too much of one type of weather recently it's very noticeable.

A month without rain should be noticeable regardless of whether or not you're a weather enthusiast. How can you not notice an entire month without rain? How do you not notice vegetation getting excessively dry or brown? Seriously, you don't even have to be a weather enthusiast to notice that.

Old 08-17-2016, 11:41 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,406,132 times
Quote:
Nope, unfortunately I don't exactly have time to go to the beach very often and even then I don't exactly like it anyways. And not getting rain is always noticeable when you have a garden. Also, being a weather enthusiast I enjoy different types of weather. When we've been getting too much of one type of weather recently it's very noticeable.

A month without rain should be noticeable regardless of whether or not you're a weather enthusiast. How can you not notice an entire month without rain? How do you not notice vegetation getting excessively dry or brown? Seriously, you don't even have to be a weather enthusiast to notice that.
People notice if hasn't rained much very fast. Even though technically the airport is right around average rainfall for the month so far most of that fell the first few days so for the most part august has been dry and people are noticing and commenting that.

Old 08-17-2016, 12:10 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,324,204 times
The only decent climates in the eastern 2/3 of the US would be in the coastal carolinas, and maybe the southern appalachia but even those are kinda cool in the winter. You just dont have anything in here that can rival Buenos Aires or Palermo when it comes to weather

Old 08-17-2016, 01:10 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIRAL View Post
1.) There are such things as evergreen forests, which never go brown in winter. Here is an evergreen forest on the Texas Gulf:
http://www.palmpedia.net/wiki/images...SabalMex11.jpg

2.) The top picture is easily more beautiful than the bottom picture.
Evergreen forests are a tiny slice of Texas coastline and hardly extend inland more than a few miles. Vast majority of forests are deciduous.

Old 08-17-2016, 01:21 PM

Seriously? There's plenty of pine forests in Texas. There's even a section called "Piney Woods" that extends even into Southeastern Oklahoma.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piney_Woods

Old 08-17-2016, 02:27 PM

484 posts, read 467,548 times
No weather has ever made me more miserable than a Texas summer. I can stand the heat, never-ending as it may be from about May 1 through the end of September. It is the humidity that really puts you to the test. Take the humidity out of the equation, and it's at least somewhat tolerable. The 95 and humid of Houston versus the 101-103 and dry heat of Dallas is a wash in my opinion, although Dallas tends to get cooler quicker once we get into mid- to late September. Cold fronts never seem to make it to Houston in the summer.
Late October to about May 1 in Houston is a great payoff. I always thought November, December, February and March were the best, most comfortable months by far.
I only lived in Houston for 26 months, but a weather memory I have to laugh at was in early December 2008 when the area got a nice blanketing of snow, maybe an inch or so. People were out trying to make snowmen. Being a Midwesterner, it gave me a big laugh, probably the same laugh I gave people when I complained about the heat.

Old 08-17-2016, 04:09 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Quote:
Seriously? There's plenty of pine forests in Texas. There's even a section called "Piney Woods" that extends even into Southeastern Oklahoma.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piney_Woods
Pine trees a lush evergreen forest do not make. Broadleaf evergreen is lush, certainly not pines.

Old 08-17-2016, 05:17 PM

2,508 posts, read 1,847,251 times
Loblolly pines are pretty common in the southeastern US. They extend as far west as Austin, Texas, as far north as Deleware and as far south as Orlando. I imagine it is the main tree of the Piney Woods.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Pine trees a lush evergreen forest do not make. Broadleaf evergreen is lush, certainly not pines.
Is it still not an evergreen tree? Still proves your earlier statement wrong. You clearly had no idea of the Piney Woods previously, or else you wouldn't have said that it's only a tiny silver on the coast for evergreen trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather