Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 11:17 PM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times

Advertisements

Unseasonable snow in Tasmania:

https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/33312205...-summer/#page1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2016, 06:48 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,964 times
Idk why this part of South America has such cool summer nights, but I love it

Old 11-25-2016, 10:09 AM

2,946 posts, read 2,914,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Still stuck in the NH seasons lol, but yes, November. And guess what, they have tons of Jacarandas here! They look much livelier than in Valparaiso too, the magic of rainfall

Just 20c in Antofagasta? Wtf???
Yep, they bloom on late spring here, because they bloom in early spring in their endemic habitat (central south america) where is this hot earlier in the year.

Quote:
Idk why this part of South America has such cool summer nights, but I love it
haha, well, it's November still and this particular November is running very dry so far, so the nights have been comfortable. In fact i still haven't turned on the AC. But if the upcoming summer goes like the last one, that will be a very diferent history. Plenty of tropical nights.

Old 11-25-2016, 11:40 AM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,003,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post
Yep, they bloom on late spring here, because they bloom in early spring in their endemic habitat (central south america) where is this hot earlier in the year.

haha, well, it's November still and this particular November is running very dry so far, so the nights have been comfortable. In fact i still haven't turned on the AC. But if the upcoming summer goes like the last one, that will be a very diferent history. Plenty of tropical nights.
Do you know what are the southernmost city in Argentina where is possible to Jacaranda grow? I think it deciduousness are because of the dry conditions nature in central South America,not because of the cold,so below freezing temperatures should damage them.

Old 11-25-2016, 11:45 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Jacaranda can handle a bit of frost without damage. The ones around here see -3C to -4C most years, without damage.

A cool down for here tomorrow, with a high forecast of 18C and snow down to 800 metres

Old 11-25-2016, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Jacaranda can handle a bit of frost without damage. The ones around here see -3C to -4C most years, without damage.
So I think they can be planted along the coast as far South as Mar del Plata,not below that,but in the interior they would be restricted to places below 33S,I dont think they would be able to live on thoses climates,because of the amount of frosts registered during autumn/winter.

Old 11-25-2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlaver View Post

Well hopefullu it won't go like that! Maybe this summer will be a bit dry and we'll have lots of cool nights in store

In general Montevideo looks kinda tropical, much more so than Buenos Aires, and DEFINITELY much more tropical than similar latitudes in North America. I wonder what the record lows are if they had a station in Ciudad Vieja, I wouldnt be surprised if the record lows in the Old City would be above freezing, since it's on a peninsula surrounded by water and also has that UHi from Montevideo

Old 11-25-2016, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Well hopefullu it won't go like that! Maybe this summer will be a bit dry and we'll have lots of cool nights in store

In general Montevideo looks kinda tropical, much more so than Buenos Aires, and DEFINITELY much more tropical than similar latitudes in North America. I wonder what the record lows are if they had a station in Ciudad Vieja, I wouldnt be surprised if the record lows in the Old City would be above freezing, since it's on a peninsula surrounded by water and also has that UHi from Montevideo
Montevideo Native vegetation dont look all that tropical,on the truth their vegetation are very diversifed,with a lot of deciduous trees like Salix Humboldtiana,Celtis Tala,Prosopis Alba,Geoffroea decorticans and Peltophorum dubium plus some evergreens and palm species ,I've seen that the vegetation are the same for most of Northeastern Argentina,the vegetation became more and more deciduous when moving South,that probably caused by the high amount of freezes(Like you seen for temperatures in Mercedes),but course that not even compare with North America because they get much more cold,not allowing evergreens like in Southeastern South America.
I used google street view and here is their vegetation,they were taken on nearby Montevideo :

Old 11-25-2016, 02:30 PM

I agree that the native vegetation looks really bad in Montevideo, but you can grow so many things inside the city. The vegetation is very diverse and impressive inside the city

Old 11-25-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
I agree that the native vegetation looks really bad in Montevideo, but you can grow so many things inside the city. The vegetation is very diverse and impressive inside the city
Yeah,the city itself can grow most things you like.

And that is the difference between Subtropical areas of SA and USA,while on the first you can grow most tree species,the second doesnt allow that,I was really impressed how Uruguay and Northeastern Argentina are diverse talking about vegetation,that shows the effect of be located on the eastern side,while Valparaiso even get temperatures below 5C,thoses places in Subtropical areas went below freezing sometimes during winter,I remember that even Southern Paraguay registered -1C during last july,and they are just South of the Capricorn line.
Also the soil of Pampas are poor,because that trees there grows most along the rivers,and they dont grow too much like in Southern US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather