Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 05:51 PM

2,197 posts, read 1,494,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Well, I define cold by the scientific definition, which is lack of warmth.

I am neither trolling nor stupid. And winter is the biggest shaper of a climates vegetation. Take where you live for example, if Miami's averages were 5°F colder in winter and 5°F hotter in summer, it would be an entirely different landscape, and all the coconut palms and other tropicals down there probably wouldn't exist due to winter being to cold.

And Death Valley, CA has the same annual mean as Miami give or take, but even with irigation, you couldn't get a tropical to grow in Death Valley, those 65/37 avgs in Jan are too cold, despite 115/88 normals in July.

I rest my case
This makes no sense. You're saying that you define cold by lack of warmth, but you aren't, you're defining it by vegetation. That's not what determines whether a climate is colder or warmer than another. It's by temperature.

Cold:
Defined as a temperature limiting the growth of vegetation WRONG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 06:00 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelernation71 View Post
This makes no sense. You're saying that you define cold by lack of warmth, but you aren't, you're defining it by vegetation. That's not what determines whether a climate is colder or warmer than another. It's by temperature.

Cold:
Defined as a temperature limiting the growth of vegetation WRONG
In science class WAY back in high school, we were told you could only measure heat, and that cold was a lack of heat, i.e. cold is less warmth

And yes, I happen to think a climate that can grow palm trees and citrus is warmer than one that can't due to winter cold

For example, I once again go to my Dallas vs Downtown Los Angeles example. Citrus and Palms can grow in LA thanks to a warm winter, where the brutal cold blasts that Dallas gets in the winter along with colder winter normals make it a colder 'feeling' climate if not actually colder. The typical coldest day of the year in LA is warmer than an average January day in Dallas, yet because Dallas annual mean is 1.6°F higher, you want to call Dallas warmer, despite the fact that Dallas gets snow, ice, frosts and freezes in the winter, things that never happen in Los Angeles

Old 09-04-2016, 06:57 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,699,345 times
Quote:
You and I are normally in agreement...

What is your take on my Dallas vs Los Angeles downtown example, wouldn't you admit due to the much warmer winter, with no snow, no ice, no freezes that downtown Los Angeles is overall warmer than Dallas despite an annual average 1.6°F lower?
Dallas is a bit warmer year round but downtown LA has warmer and more stable winters which allows them to grow more tender subtropicals but let me give you a more stark example.
Which is the warmer climate to you, Dallas, TX or Scilly Isles, UK. Scilly Isles is hardiness zone 10A vs. 8A for Dallas and Scilly Isles can grow many more species of palms and subtropicals compared to Dallas but which one to you overall is the warmer climate? I know which one I would pick for overall warmth.. and it's not located across the pond

Old 09-04-2016, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Dallas is a bit warmer year round but downtown LA has warmer and more stable winters which allows them to grow more tender subtropicals but let me give you a more stark example.
Which is the warmer climate to you, Dallas, TX or Scilly Isles, UK. Scilly Isles is hardiness zone 10A vs. 8A for Dallas and Scilly Isles can grow many more species of palms and subtropicals compared to Dallas but which one to you overall is the warmer climate? I know which one I would pick for overall warmth.. and it's not located across the pond
Except in this instance, the annual averages are far apart, where I am comparing places that have very close annual avgs (65.5 LA to 67.1 Dallas)

Old 09-04-2016, 07:15 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
London and Brest are USDA 9, Copenhagen 7, Bucharest is 6. If I'd start a vineyard I'd still choose Bucharest.

Old 09-04-2016, 07:28 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,361,458 times
The fact that you keep defending your nonsense logic is rather shocking.

Old 09-04-2016, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
The fact that you keep defending your nonsense logic is rather shocking.
I just can't call a place that gets cold in the winter "warmer" than a place that doesn't... It doesn't feel right

Again, it might just be my opinion, but two places with similar annual averages, but one has a warmer winter/cooler summer than the other, I will consider that the tie breaker due to the lack of cold in the one with the narrower range

It may be my bias against any type of a "real winter"/"palm tree preference", but that is my opinion

Old 09-04-2016, 07:45 PM

Quote:
I just can't call a place that gets cold in the winter "warmer" than a place that doesn't... It doesn't feel right

Again, it might just be my opinion, but two places with similar annual averages, but one has a warmer winter/cooler summer than the other, I will consider that the tie breaker due to the lack of cold in the one with the narrower range

It may be my bias against any type of a "real winter"/"palm tree preference", but that is my opinion
Reykjavík Iceland and Tampere Finland have the same annual mean. Tampere has a higher mean temp from May to October. April is roughly the same. You're a farmer. Which location should you choose when you grow wheat, strawberries and apples?

Old 09-04-2016, 07:46 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,361,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Reykjavík Iceland and Tampere Finland have the same annual mean. Tampere has a higher mean temp from May to October. April is roughly the same. You're a farmer. Which location should you choose when you grow wheat, strawberries and apples?
Obviously Reykjavik since it's a warmer climate. Winter is the only season that exists right?

Old 09-04-2016, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Obviously Reykjavik since it's a warmer climate. Winter is the only season that exists right?
Obviously. Never mind that you will never get enough growing-degree days to grow any of those plants in Reyjkavík.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather