Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2016, 12:37 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guajara View Post

And here I thought you only went as far as the Canaries lol.

These photos illustrate just how tropical the Carib is compared to a place like the Canary Islands. Though the Canary Islands can have coco palm trees, their water, air and water temps, beaches, clouds, tropical veg and animal life is no match for the Carib and tropical Mexico.

This place where you are right now is as warm in winter as the Canary Islands in summer, but with warmer water in winter than the Canaries have in summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 12:58 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,290,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
It also means that winter cold and snow extends very far south over the landmass of North America, but the Gulf Stream protects islands like the Bahamas, Bermuda, etc that are right off our shores.

Remember that NYC is at the latitude of Naples, Italy.
I know, but I picture the Bahamas as very far south, like in the sahara or something.

For some reason I have no real desire to visit humid tropical places, because I believe it would be so humid that the air would be unbreathable and I would be sleepy all day. Also I think there would be giant spiders on every corner and other dangerous animals and I would get malaria. I have never been there but the drier hot environments llike the Canaries are more inspiring to me, a more "natural", safer environment, but I've always been on vacation on the mediterranean and I have no experience of humid tropical places.

I'd really like to see a desert instead.

Old 09-14-2016, 12:59 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,685,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
And here I thought you only went as far as the Canaries lol.

These photos illustrate just how tropical the Carib is compared to a place like the Canary Islands. Though the Canary Islands can have coco palm trees, their water, air and water temps, beaches, clouds, tropical veg and animal life is no match for the Carib and tropical Mexico.

This place where you are right now is as warm in winter as the Canary Islands in summer, but with warmer water in winter than the Canaries have in summer.
I'm back home already. I always post my photos after the trip has ended.

Old 09-14-2016, 01:04 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
I know, but I picture the Bahamas as very far south, like in the sahara or something.

For some reason I have no real desire to visit humid tropical places, because I believe it would be so humid that the air would be unbreathable and I would be sleepy all day. Also I think there would be giant spiders on every corner and other dangerous animals and I would get malaria. I have never been there but the drier hot environments llike the Canaries are more inspiring to me, a more "natural", safer environment, but I've always been on vacation on the mediterranean and I have no experience of humid tropical places.

I'd really like to see a desert instead.

My experience with the islands in the Carib is very few bugs at all. Never got bit by mozzies in the US Virgin Islands or Barbados or Jamaica or Grand Cayman or Cozumel. Humid yes, but it really wasn't much worse than Philly when I went to Barbados in late June. When I returned it was hotter here than there. I think you would be pleasantly surprised by the Carib especially in winter when the weather is really warm like summer but not hot, and the ocean is nice and warm.

Old 09-14-2016, 01:09 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,290,442 times
Yeah, I think people prefer to visit these places in the dead of winter when it is cold here. In France many people go to Guadeloupe / Martinique or Reunion Island (all french territories) but I doubt they do it in July August (well the Reunion Island is in the southern hemisphere, so maybe).

All this lush and dark vegetation would probably creep me out. I am more fascinated by bone-dry landscapes. But then I prefer geology over biology, so that may be why...

Old 09-14-2016, 06:53 PM

2,258 posts, read 1,304,020 times
Yes, there are quite a lot of french tourists in Reunion in June/July (when I went there two years ago). Also quite a lot of Australia and South African tourists. Awesome climate in winter: warm, slightly humid, water is on the edge of warm and cool, sunny. And half of the island is bone dry while the other half is wetter all year round, even in the "dry season".

Old 09-15-2016, 06:55 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,685,118 times
Playa Delfines

It's an official Beach surrounded by the Hotel Beaches of the Zona Hotelera of Cancun.

People were standing in a line ( i guess 20-30min) to get their photo shot in front of the Cancun sign.

Spoiler

Tasty

On the way to the world known Tulum Ruins.

Spoiler

There's a small Cenote under that Building.

This small Beach is included in pretty much any "Worlds best Beaches" List.

It's closed off for the public.

More photos of ruins and stuff.

Spoiler

Yep, these two were in a fight.

This Beach is open to the Public and it's overrun.
Fantastic colours, fantastic scenery, but it was almost to crowded to really enjoy it.

Spoiler

With too many people, places like this lose a bit of their magic.

Grand Cenote

Spoiler

This one had very cold water

These showers were great.

Old 09-15-2016, 08:00 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Neat beach colors and lizard

Old 09-15-2016, 09:10 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,738,957 times
Taken from the capital building here in Olympia

More here:
https://www.instagram.com/fluffydelusions/

Old 09-15-2016, 10:39 AM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,004,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
Taken from the capital building here in Olympia

More here:
https://www.instagram.com/fluffydelusions/
Trees are in full colour this early in September? wtf?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather