Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 06:02 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,294,816 times

Advertisements

New delivery... get to work but need to wait till this crap weather passes. Waiting for a cool down or seasonable weather which will happen after this weekend.

Cedar, White Oak, Red Oak and Hickory

Can you smell it?

This will be for Winter 2017-18. Oaks take a while to season. So split now, be ready for next winter. Maybe even 2018-19.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 07:15 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyFL View Post
Might as well start a new photo thread for autumn.

Above Water Canyon Campground
Nice canyon, do the locals complain about a 62°F dewpoint being humid?

Old 09-09-2016, 07:36 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
These aren't my pics, but this is about as hilly as it gets in SE England. This is Leith Hill, the highest point in the Surrey Hills at 294m. Looks like a flatter version of what Nei or Cambium post.

Looking south.

Looking north towards west London.

London skyline ~40km away.
Does look more like here with the forested countryside, the flatter valley area here is about the same. Nice vantage point; reminds me a bit of the skyline photos I took from Bear Mountain, NY last summer, which was about 40-45 miles away.

================================================== ========

from last week, Mt. Washington again.

Hike time: 8 hours
Elevation gain: 4280 feet
Mileage: 10.5 miles
Time to summit: about 5 hours

There were a second similar sized waterfall next to it, but hard to capture both

small cascades line the trail.

made it above treeline, kinda dreary today with a chance of showers.

got into the cloudline

looking back where I was

when I was at the lake

Spoiler

fog kept rolling in and out

20 seconds later

Spoiler

more fog

the mountain appeared to be making the cumulus clouds more intense. fog cloud appeared to stop on the mountain

Spoiler

at the summit looking at the road

summit helpfully detailed current weather information as well as climate averages

Spoiler

less foggy on the way down

Spoiler

ray of light

looking back at where the fog was

Last edited by nei; 09-09-2016 at 08:38 AM..

Old 09-09-2016, 07:50 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
New delivery... get to work but need to wait till this crap weather passes. Waiting for a cool down or seasonable weather which will happen after this weekend.

Cedar, White Oak, Red Oak and Hickory

Can you smell it?

This will be for Winter 2017-18. Oaks take a while to season. So split now, be ready for next winter. Maybe even 2018-19.

Nice. Wouldn't mind chopping some of those logs. YEAAAH ME STRONG MAN CHOP CHOP!

(Chopping wood is fun.)

Old 09-09-2016, 07:54 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
from last week, Mt. Washington again.

Hike time: 8 hours
Elevation gain: 4280 feet
Mileage: 10.5 miles
Time to summit: about 5 hours
Waterfalling? Whats that?

Any wind? Last time I was on a cloudy mountain was when a front came through. But that didn't look like a front there.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:25 AM

5,983 posts, read 4,277,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Nice canyon, do the locals complain about a 62°F dewpoint being humid?
I haven't heard any complaining, probably because it was raining and not hot.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:38 AM

1,772 posts, read 1,504,324 times
Quote:
These aren't my pics, but this is about as hilly as it gets in SE England. This is Leith Hill, the highest point in the Surrey Hills at 294m. Looks like a flatter version of what Nei or Cambium post.

Looking south.

Looking north towards west London.

London skyline ~40km away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Highest point in the Leeds city boundaries is 340m ASL. But the city boundaries of Leeds are quite generous, and in reality it's a windy hill miles away from the city itself. You can see it in the background of this image, it's called Ilkley Moor.
Nice pics.

The urban area here is mostly flat but there is one mountain range next to Frankfurt, highest point at 879 m asl. Good place to get your fair share of winter weather.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:49 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,595,401 times
Frankfurt looks like Atlanta from a distance.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Waterfalling? Whats that?

Any wind? Last time I was on a cloudy mountain was when a front came through. But that didn't look like a front there.
Fixed the link below "summit helpfully detailed current weather information as well as climate averages
", summit screen had 27 mph. There was a front nearby, it passed just after sunset, with intense thunderstorms and heavy rain from 8-9:30 pm or so.

https://www.wunderground.com/history...lyHistory.html

https://www.wunderground.com/history...lyHistory.html

next day had lower dewpoints and was very windy (peaking at 75 mph on Mt. Washington, maybe 20 mph below), though I wasn't up a mountain that day. Here's the Mt. Washington Obversatory comments on the front

I went east into Maine. Augusta, Maine:

City felt kinda dead, downtown looked smaller and less busy than Montpilier even though it had more people. Across the river

Spoiler

Belfast, Maine along the coast

tourist sign on local history

Spoiler

rock face in Acadia National Park

ladder trail

Spoiler

trail back in the woods

down to the ocean

Old 09-09-2016, 01:42 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
Quote:
I think the first picture looks a bit like photos you've posted before. Or maybe it's all the ferns?
Doesn't really look like around here, although does have a bit of a Waikato look to it.

Ferns don't really grow in the open like that here, apart from Bracken and that looks very different.

Here is about the closest photo I could find, but it's early spring rather than early autumn.
Attached Thumbnails
2016 Fall Photo Thread-img_3057.jpg  

Last edited by Joe90; 09-09-2016 at 01:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather