Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2016, 06:01 PM

2,197 posts, read 1,493,374 times

Advertisements

Great photos again, Tommy.

Nei--the Maine photos are pretty too, if not that dramatic. My favorites are the ones looking down at the lakes-mountains appear the biggest there. Seems like a nice place to visit for a weekend sometime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2016, 06:36 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,663,963 times
Nice pics guys, jealous of the nice sights you got there!

Old 09-11-2016, 09:41 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,684,161 times

Cenote Cristallino

Beach at Paarmul (Camping Places mainly used by Americans/Canadians)

The Bay looks very beautiful, but you can't really swim there.
It gets very stony once you enter the water.

Sian Kaan Biosphere Reserve: Road to Punta Allen

I liked the clouds

The lagoon

Spoiler

Iguanas

Spoiler

Wild Bay

Spoiler

Wild Beach

Trash that gets washed up

Spoiler

Old 09-11-2016, 10:37 AM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,003,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guajara View Post

Where is that? I guess on caribe? it make me remember the vegetation and beaches here,the coconut line,beautiful,the only difference is because the water here arent blue as that.

Old 09-11-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost-likin View Post
Where is that? I guess on caribe? it make me remember the vegetation and beaches here,the coconut line,beautiful,the only difference is because the water here arent blue as that.
Yes, it's the Carribean Coast of the Yucatan Peninsula.

Old 09-11-2016, 05:36 PM

5,706 posts, read 3,772,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost-likin View Post
A lot of coastal areas here also have that vegetation. Beautiful in a way but I still prefer a northern look.

Old 09-12-2016, 05:27 AM

29,505 posts, read 19,602,720 times
Chicago skyline yesterday from the Indiana Sand Dunes

Old 09-12-2016, 08:32 AM

Spoiler

The southermost place i have ever been (19°48'N)

Coconuts

Spoiler

The "Road" back

Taking a break at the Lagoon

Spoiler

Next break a bit further north

In one of the huts

Spoiler

Seems to be a Package of a Automatic Rifle.

Spoiler

Later that day

The next day

Xcacel Beach

Spoiler

To be continued

Old 09-12-2016, 09:16 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
wow, this cadillac mountain place looks amazing. Love the granite / woods combo. And the proximity of water.

To, those first photos look very fall-like !
It's Acadia National Park in coastal Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelernation71 View Post
Great photos again, Tommy.

Nei--the Maine photos are pretty too, if not that dramatic. My favorites are the ones looking down at the lakes-mountains appear the biggest there. Seems like a nice place to visit for a weekend sometime.
The mountains aren't big though steep. It's nice break to be able to hike up and get a view in a short time instead of trudging up for hours in thick forest. And the rocky coast and ocean adds to variety. Last day was kinda humid, after going inland a bit I could see puffy vertical cumulus that were absent at Acadia.

Now on to a taller mountain...

Mt. Kathadin
Elevation: 5250 feet
Elevation Gain: 4710 feet
Time: 11 hours

start of the hike looked unpromising, was able to see the mountain the previous evening or morning due to clouds

got better fast

clouds back and forth

nice glacial cirque

open viewpoint at 3100 feet, treeline is only at 3500 feet up here

a few minutes later a cloud retreated. But still looked like a rain cloud

Spoiler

ridge I ascended

looking back down

Spoiler

Path on the rest of the mountain, you can make out a path going up on the right half of the summit. Part to the left of the summit is more steeply sloping

north side of the summit is rather flat topped

Big sign at summit. No LED monitor displaying weather conditions and climate averages. Nor cafeteria or post office.

up ahead

Spoiler

lots of boulders

Was worried clouds and rain could roll in, but it stayed clear. Another fun stretch ahead

Those two guys from Toronto had done the ridge earlier in the week while fogged over. Did it again hoping to get a clear view. Narrow trail spot

looking back

Steep descent with a scramble

Spoiler

and then ascent

nice evening light. Area felt extremely remote. Forest... and more forest, almost no residents to the north.

mountain casts a shadow

mountain was back in the clouds the next morning

Millinocket, 25 miles to the south. Walked around as I need to repair my car before driving hundreds of miles.

coffee shop has no coffee

Portland, Maine is busier. Popular tourist spot and I think most were from Maine, but in a very rural state, it's the only real city to visit even if it isn't big.

There's a six block stretch next to the harbor made up of nothing but red brick buildings. Seems to be for tourists

glass and brick make an odd contrast; city had a surprising amount of new buildings scattered in the center

Main commercial street was filled with people and sidewalk vendors on a FRiday late afternoon. "Love trumps hate" sign may have been to welcome Donald Trump when he held a rally a few blocks away a month ago

Unclear what they were marching about; maybe labor union related

art museum had a painting of Katahdin

Spoiler

and a White Mountains waterfall

Spoiler

residential street a few blocks away

Crowded momunent square. Momument to Maine Civil War soliders

Sunset

Old 09-12-2016, 09:22 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyFL View Post
Unsuccessful attempt at climbing Sierra Blanca Peak. I turned back due to winds and low visibility. I looked at the webcam for the ski resort there a couple minutes ago and there's not a cloud in the sky.

Sierra Blanca Peak is the highest point in this photo. If I had left a couple hours later, the weather would have been fine.

Beautiful pics!!

I have to say the Rocky Mountains in New Mexico are not nearly as dramatic as I thought they would be. They are not steep and sharp, they are more rounded like large hills. What I mean is like the Appalachians just without trees. I thought there would be more dramatic peaks and craggy like mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather