Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you prefer Australia or America's climate in general?
Australia 45 31.91%
US 96 68.09%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 08:37 PM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times

Advertisements

Does Australia or the US have a better overall climate? Which would you prefer?

Australia's climate zones:

USA:

NOT to be confused with "which country has a more diverse climate" - Of course America is more diverse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 09:32 PM

765 posts, read 573,646 times
Remember that Australian map is based around vegetation. As per the BOM:

"Köppen maps
The Köppen classification maps show six major groups and 27 sub-groups of climate zones across Australia. These climate zones are defined with the climatic limits of native vegetation in mind. This method of classification is based on the concept that native vegetation is the best expression of climate in an area.
The six major classes are identified predominantly on native vegetation type, with the additional sub-groups taking into consideration seasonal distribution of temperature and precipitation:
Equatorial
Tropical
Subtropical
Desert
Grassland
Temperate"

Australian Climate Averages - Climate classifications

Here's an Australian map with the same colours as the American map.

As per the question, I prefer Australia's climate. I prefer mild-hot and too much of the USA gets too cold for my liking.

Old 09-16-2016, 09:57 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,042,340 times
United States by a large margin. So much more climate diversity.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:31 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,448,329 times
United States by far.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:38 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
Best climate?
MAY, in the warm-summer humid continental zone (USA).
Blech for the rest of the time.

Old 09-16-2016, 11:29 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,328,241 times
I voted america but with alot of reservations, there are parts of Australia that are fantastic and a great number of american states, probably the majority of american states, have awful weather. In America I personally like california , a few parts of the pacific northwest, most of the southeastern us , especially the coastal regions, and the gulf coast.

I know it wasnt climate and diversity but states like California,the Carolinas,Alabama, Georgia, Florida if you consider alot of floridians have mountain homes in georgia and the carolinas,have so much diversity in just that one state. Mountains with snow ,tons of rivers and very lush greenery, warm water oceans in just one state is probably the only tipping point for my american vote

But the best of Australia's climate is certainly one of the best in the world and hard to beat. Australia has a much better culture in alot of ways than the US, less guns and crime, less race problems than the US, as a southerner I love the Aussies have a awesome gambling and horse racing culture and ladies of the evening are legal, really cool beach and sailing culture and closer to Asia. Seems really expensive to live there but I would love to check it out

Last edited by floridanative10; 09-16-2016 at 11:51 PM..

Old 09-17-2016, 01:43 AM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lab276 View Post
Remember that Australian map is based around vegetation. As per the BOM:

"Köppen maps
The Köppen classification maps show six major groups and 27 sub-groups of climate zones across Australia. These climate zones are defined with the climatic limits of native vegetation in mind. This method of classification is based on the concept that native vegetation is the best expression of climate in an area.
The six major classes are identified predominantly on native vegetation type, with the additional sub-groups taking into consideration seasonal distribution of temperature and precipitation:
Equatorial
Tropical
Subtropical
Desert
Grassland
Temperate"

Australian Climate Averages - Climate classifications
I see, but it's still more on the climatic side with terms such as "hot", "warm" and "wet". It's based on Koppen's map, but it's just more specific and particularized. It can be used to indicate the country's climate, despite having some material on vegetation.

I can see the poll being lopsided already. I really hope that they're not confusing this poll with "which country is more diverse". Just rate the country that you like climatically, having diversity or not.

Old 09-17-2016, 02:17 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
Australia by a long shot because there are no climates like Chicago, Minneapolis or Fairbanks. They don't call it the lucky country for nothing

Old 09-17-2016, 04:16 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,178,032 times
USA.

All the red (on both maps) is worthless crap climates. And Australia's map has a higher proportion of red.

Old 09-17-2016, 04:46 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times
Overall, I have to give it to the U.S. for the diversity. Too much of Australia is desert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather