Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one has the best Climate
Atlantis 4 44.44%
Lemuria 0 0%
Mu 5 55.56%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 04:57 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,922,938 times

Advertisements

People for hundreds of years have been fascinated by the possibility of a lost continent home to an ancient advanced civilization that one day sank beneath the ocean. The three most famous cases are Atlantis, thought to be some where in the Atlantic ocean, Lemuria, somewhere in the Indian ocean, and Mu, somewhere in the Pacific ocean. So I found these interesting maps depicting these continents based off of real submerged continents, plateaus, and mountain ridges.

Atlantis, based off of the mid Atlantic ridge, centered around the Azores Islands.

http://orig07.deviantart.net/96df/f/...berduck3y6.png

Lemuria, based off of the submerged Kreguelen Plateau.

http://orig12.deviantart.net/b3a6/f/...berduck3y6.png
Here is another map for size comparison.

http://orig14.deviantart.net/8df5/f/...freodhoric.png

Mu, based off of the submerged continent of Zealandia.

http://aetherforce.com/wp-content/up...alandia-mu.jpg

So what do you think the climate would be like on these fictional land masses, and how would they affect the rest of the world? And which one would you rather live on?

Last edited by grega94; 09-18-2016 at 05:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 09:12 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,922,938 times
I personally chose Mu (Zealandia) because I think it would be the most climatically diverse having almost all the climates covered, possibly even continental since it extends pretty far south. And I already like New Zealand's climate as is, over the other two's land masses currently above sea level (Azores and Kreguelen islands). Lemuria I think would be too cold, and would be probably be similar to southern Patagonia. Atlantis would probably be one of the most oceanic/mild places in the world. The western half would be very wet constantly bombarded with the remanents of the hurricanes, and the eastern half would be significantly drier. The southern parts would be tropical and the north would be like the Isles of Scilly. I'm not sure how big of an effect it would have on the Gulf Stream, but since Atlantis doesn't extend to far north, I would imagine that it would just wrap around and continue on its way to Northern Europe.

Old 09-18-2016, 09:21 PM

5,271 posts, read 4,677,991 times
Mu sounds interesting

Old 09-19-2016, 04:52 AM

5,601 posts, read 3,503,319 times
Lemuria can't have had any other people than Eskimos on it. Utterly inhabitable tundra climate.

Mu looks like a subtropical-ish continental variety of New Zealand. Atlantis is my pick. Very mild waters surrounding it. Tremendous rain shadow with the mountain range right through the middle allows for a variety of environment.

Old 02-16-2017, 02:26 PM

23,452 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverBlack View Post
Mu sounds interesting
Read up!

Scientists discover 'Zealandia' - a hidden continent off the coast of Australia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather