Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 04:34 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,042,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by srfoskey View Post
Switzerland is pretty diverse for its size I think. It has climates from temperate oceanic all the way to alpine tundra and glaciers. The are even some climates that are close to humid subtropical.

I completely forgot about Switzerland! There are even some palm trees: https://www.google.com/maps/@46.0015...7i13312!8i6656
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 04:35 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,357,778 times
Nepal has to be one too. From near-tropical lowlands close to the border of India to alpine climates up in the Himalayas.

Old 09-20-2016, 05:29 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Chile
Argentina
Ethiopia
Afghanistan
Pakistan
South Africa

NZ is mostly oceanic, with the mountainous areas being subpolar and tundra. It's mostly just temperate and hemiboreal.

Good thread idea, btw.
Isn't hemiboreal regarded as having moderately warm summers? -that wouldn't describe NZ mountains.

NZ isn't much bigger than Victoria, but it stretches over a distance similar to that between Melbourne and Bundaberg, so noticeably different climates can be expected.

NZ is reasonably diverse in climate, because climate includes features other than just temperature . For example- 63 days of rain vs 270 days of rain and 350mm vs 13-16000mm of rain is also quite significant.

Inhabited towns have a 9C difference in average annual temperature, which I think would be reasonably noticeable over the year.

Old 09-20-2016, 06:43 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritra View Post
I've been thinking about this for a while. The USA is definitely the most climatically diverse country in the world, but a big reason for that is that it's huge...which got me wondering, where is the greatest climate diversity in the smallest area?

A few contenders I've thought of:

Italy
Japan
New Zealand
Nepal
Bhutan
Spain

Thoughts?
I will say China is equal to USA in the climatic diversity topic.

Old 09-21-2016, 01:03 AM

54 posts, read 76,763 times
Japan is the most convincing to me so far.
Almost tropical in Okinawa to pretty darn cold in the mountains of Honshu and mountain valleys of Hokkaido... -42F all time record low at Asahikawa. Not far from Maine's -50F.
Though it isn't very small...
In Switzerland I've taken the train in a single day from places almost permanently covered in ice and snow at 10,000 ft. to the shores of Lake Maggiore, where the Isle di Brissago garden has a permanent Norfolk Island Pine tree, and is almost zone 10a, seldom going below 30F. I think it has the impressive variation for such a small footprint...and one that is so easily conquered - by train LOL. I've seen most of the country in only a couple short trips. It's record low btw is -43F.

Old 09-21-2016, 01:12 AM

"I will say China is equal to USA in the climatic diversity topic."

I wouldn't quite agree. China does have impressive variation, but they have no oceanic-Mediterranean climates with mild, wet winters, and warm dry summers. The basic pattern over most of the country, anywhere mild to semi-mild, is monsoon-influenced rain in summer. Maybe the far, far western areas near the Hindu Kush and Pamirs are winter-wet, but they are also much colder and not at all comparable to say, the coastal strip from Santa Barbara, CA to Portland, OR. You could argue they make up for it by having a true subtropical highlands climate in the southwest around Yunnan, which we do not.* But if you look at overall patterns, that just a variation on their common theme.

* - in the CONUS. We have it in Hawaii.

EDIT: nope, not even that is true. The westernmost Chinese cities I can find are true deserts; what little rain they have doesn't have a winter peak though. You have to go quite far west to escape the monsoon influence; though there's a sharp demarcation. Lahore Pakistan has a definite summer monsoon, while Kabul has the late winter/spring peak I thought might exist in westernmost China.

Last edited by ZigZagBoom; 09-21-2016 at 01:27 AM..

Old 09-21-2016, 03:00 AM

5,601 posts, read 3,502,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
I was going to mention both Switzerland and Andorra as well. Good choices.

Some of the ones on here are leaving me puzzled. Sweden? Really? Sweden is fairly big and the variety ain't that much.
Winter lows quite frequently reach -40 in the far north, something most people down here have no idea about and wouldn't exit their houses if it happened here.

I think four distinct climate zones even not accounting for top of the mountain-climates where people don't live anyways is fairly impressive regardless.

Old 09-21-2016, 05:08 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,991,315 times
Japan seems the most diverse for its relatively small land area! From tropical in the southernmost islands like Iwo Jima all the way up to very continental (with maritime influence and heavy snowfall) in Hokkaido.

Old 09-21-2016, 09:21 AM

351 posts, read 481,890 times
This was pretty interesting, since the OP was looking at climate diversity vs size, it seems like Italy is the most diverse, it had 13 different Koppen climates. That is more than every country mentioned yet it is also only the 71st largest country. Italy is smaller than Japan, Norway, Sweden, France, Spain, Chile, Turkey etc.

For even smaller countries, both Switzerland and Bhutan had 5 climates while ranking 132 and 133 in size respectively. South Korea should be also mentioned with 4 different climates. Andorra was ranked 179 but only had 3 different climates.

Old 09-21-2016, 09:36 AM

Yeah Italy is a good choice. It's all time low is impressively low:

Italy −49.6 °C (−57.2 °F) Busa Fradusta, Pale di San Martino

Compared to Switzerland of course, it has the same range of Alpine and Alps-influenced climates (glaciers to zn 10 humid subtropical on the Italian Lakes)...but also has the very warm, very dry Mediterranean climate on southern Sicily. Highest temp recorded in Europe there, 119F.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather