Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which kind of climate classification is this?
Oceanic 4 18.18%
Subtropical 17 77.27%
Tropical 1 4.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 02:21 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,502,351 times

Advertisements

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:L...hybrid_climate

The premise on this one is a climate located on a small isolated flat island roughly 900 km west of Madeira (32 N in the mid-Atlantic). Unlike Funchal it is not shielded from northerly blasts in summer, which renders lower maximum temperatures (a September mean of 21.8 C is as warm as it gets)

In contrast during winters, there is no cool air coming down from any mountains during nights, keeping them extremely mild, and the January mean ends up at 17.9 C.

The precipitation is kept more evenly than Madeira to rule the mediterranean climate out of the equation.

The question for you folks is whether this climate should be classified as:

1, Oceanic (thanks to the 21.8/17.9 range + Köppen says so dammit )
2, Subtropical (every single month well above 15 C in mean temps)
3, Tropical (the 17.9 daily mean in January and the frequent > 16 Jan/Feb nights)

My personal opinion is subtropical. For me a tropical climate ought to have a month above at least 24 C to qualify for that title and although ultra-maritime it is way to warm to be oceanic since subtropical and some tropical plants obviously enjoy themselves there. It can't be oceanic if the coldest night of the year falls to 13.9 C...

Last edited by lommaren; 09-24-2016 at 02:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2016, 02:28 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Firmly subtropical. No tropical climate would have 4 months with a maximum below 21C and it's much too warm, with too low of a seasonal range, for an Oceanic climate.

Being Oceanic doesn't preclude Subtropical and some tropical plants from enjoying themselves though. Many Oceanic climates can support subtropical vegetation, and some tropical vegetation.

Old 09-24-2016, 03:36 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,042,340 times
A subtropical oceanic climate. Subtropical temperatures, oceanic variation (or rather, lack of variation).

Old 09-24-2016, 03:54 PM

2,197 posts, read 1,493,374 times
This is very tough. I want to say oceanic because of the very mild temperatures with a tiny diurnal range and very little day to day or month to month variation. Also, it has lower sunshine than expected for the warm temperatures and modetate precipitation. These are clearly features of a climate heavily influenced by its position on the ocean. It is also at 32N so winters are very warm for the lattotude, a feature caused by heavy coastal moderation. It is warm year round and definitely has more subtropical characteristics than oceanic features but it is definitely influenced much more by its coastal location than its subtropical latitude. I'll hesitantly go oceanic.

Old 09-24-2016, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelernation71 View Post
This is very tough. I want to say oceanic because of the very mild temperatures with a tiny diurnal range and very little day to day or month to month variation. Also, it has lower sunshine than expected for the warm temperatures and modetate precipitation. These are clearly features of a climate heavily influenced by its position on the ocean. It is also at 32N so winters are very warm for the lattotude, a feature caused by heavy coastal moderation. It is warm year round and definitely has more subtropical characteristics than oceanic features but it is definitely influenced much more by its coastal location than its subtropical latitude. I'll hesitantly go oceanic.
If I'd put January 0.2 C warmer (18.1/64.2 F) would you have considered tropical (which it'd be under both Köppen and Trewartha) or do you feel summers are too cool for it?

Old 09-24-2016, 04:39 PM

2,197 posts, read 1,493,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
If I'd put January 0.2 C warmer (18.1/64.2 F) would you have considered tropical (which it'd be under both Köppen and Trewartha) or do you feel summers are too cool for it?
Idk, technically it would be tropical with year-round warmth but it just seems a tropical climate should take primary influence from a low latitude but this place seems to just be warm from its extreme coastal moderation due to its island location as it's at 32N. It just seems more like a warm climate that happens to be very moderated by the ocean rather than a tropical climate. Also, it's too far away from the tropics so it doesn't take any I flinch from being at a low near-tropical latitude. I'd say just a very warm oceanic climate,

Old 09-24-2016, 04:50 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritra View Post
A subtropical oceanic climate. Subtropical temperatures, oceanic variation (or rather, lack of variation).
I don't think any Cfb climate has such a low (3.9C)seasonal range as this climate, and many Cfb climates have bigger seasonal ranges than many Cfa climates, so I don't think that is a valid point.

Only a tropical climate could have a range this low

Last edited by Joe90; 09-24-2016 at 05:09 PM..

Old 09-24-2016, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelernation71 View Post
Idk, technically it would be tropical with year-round warmth but it just seems a tropical climate should take primary influence from a low latitude but this place seems to just be warm from its extreme coastal moderation due to its island location as it's at 32N. It just seems more like a warm climate that happens to be very moderated by the ocean rather than a tropical climate. Also, it's too far away from the tropics so it doesn't take any I flinch from being at a low near-tropical latitude. I'd say just a very warm oceanic climate,
If it'd be caused by really cool ocean waters and be at say 20 S outside of Namibia then? Would that make any difference?

Old 09-24-2016, 05:16 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
Definitely subtropical because it is a bit too cool to be tropical and it's too warm to be temperate oceanic.

Old 09-24-2016, 06:26 PM

3,314 posts, read 2,214,542 times
This climate is definitely a Continental Climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather