Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2016, 06:27 AM

1,292 posts, read 1,042,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
A sex mate. People who only meet on a frequent basis and have no other relation

kn***kompis.

Typical teenagers...
Just for the record here, I can attest that this idea of a "hookup culture" among teenagers is completely false. I can count on one hand the number of people I know who have had that kind of relationship.
Source: I am a teenager.

Old 10-07-2016, 07:59 AM

5,601 posts, read 3,501,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritra View Post
Just for the record here, I can attest that this idea of a "hookup culture" among teenagers is completely false. I can count on one hand the number of people I know who have had that kind of relationship.
Source: I am a teenager.
You're living in an American Red State though... the entirety of Sweden is like Coastal California in terms of social values... Having said that, the age of consent is 15 in Sweden so there's not like the ridiculous throwing of 18 yo people in jail for having sex with a 17 yo as over there, that's just nuts.

I do however believe there is an argument that people above 20 shouldn't have sex with people below 17.

Old 10-07-2016, 08:34 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,568,172 times
Quote:
You're living in an American Red State though... the entirety of Sweden is like Coastal California in terms of social values... Having said that, the age of consent is 15 in Sweden so there's not like the ridiculous throwing of 18 yo people in jail for having sex with a 17 yo as over there, that's just nuts.

I do however believe there is an argument that people above 20 shouldn't have sex with people below 17.
Age of consent in the UK is 16. You can pretty much have sex with whoever you want from that point onward. At 16, you can even leave home and your parents are legally powerless to do anything about it. Only thing you can't do at 16 is vote and buy alcohol/cigs (but you can drink alcohol in restaurants/at home).

Old 10-07-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
You're living in an American Red State though... the entirety of Sweden is like Coastal California in terms of social values...
It's not as conservative as you think. My state was historically almost always the "deciding state" in elections up until 2008. Most people my age where I live are actually surprisingly far left politically, myself included. An interesting irony here is that, statistically, the most conservative states typically have the highest rates of teen pregnancy.

Also, I'm very aware of the Nordic countries and their much more modern social values. That's why I'm hoping to study in Norway in a few years. The USA is too far to the right for me.

Old 10-07-2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritra View Post
It's not as conservative as you think. My state was historically almost always the "deciding state" in elections up until 2008. Most people my age where I live are actually surprisingly far left politically, myself included. An interesting irony here is that, statistically, the most conservative states typically have the highest rates of teen pregnancy.

Also, I'm very aware of the Nordic countries and their much more modern social values. That's why I'm hoping to study in Norway in a few years. The USA is too far to the right for me.
Norway is the country where a pizza costs like $13 or something it's crazy when you're a foreigner

Having said that I'd consider myself a 'secular conservative'. I believe in a smaller government, quite low taxes (especially on the middle class that are taxed out of oblivion in Sweden) and a restrictive immigration process designed for highly-skilled and preferrably irreligious people. Wherever there is organized religion, stuff goes south rather quickly. The oldest big government there is. Therefore I don't fit into the template of neither Dems or Republicans, simply because I despise religious institutions and PC outrage metropolitan leftists.

In terms of the Swedish overton window, I'm a right-winger, in terms of American I'd probably be registered as an independent with slight leaning Northeast Republican. I certainly would never vote for the Democratic candidates in recent decades and certainly wouldn't like the Bushes either.

Having said that, Norway is not as socially liberal as you may think it is. There is a right-wing coalition in government, the country is extremely anti-EU in terms of its electorate and young Swedes migrating for work in Oslo are rather taken advantage of in service industries. I've also heard they'd close their border on us were we to suffer from any crisis...

As for the teenage pregnancy thing: if you're pastor says that you're going to hell if you use a condom... that's the likely end result. I think people in Lib states are just better at using contraceptions and that causes that difference...

Old 10-07-2016, 11:42 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,356,905 times
koyanitwatqsi - These freezing 22 C westerlies are killing me. My sinuses are acting up, Gary. I had to wear 50 jackets today. 5 C rainy weather is "refreshing" though. I love it.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Norway is the country where a pizza costs like $13 or something it's crazy when you're a foreigner

Having said that I'd consider myself a 'secular conservative'. I believe in a smaller government, quite low taxes (especially on the middle class that are taxed out of oblivion in Sweden) and a restrictive immigration process designed for highly-skilled and preferrably irreligious people. Wherever there is organized religion, stuff goes south rather quickly. The oldest big government there is. Therefore I don't fit into the template of neither Dems or Republicans, simply because I despise religious institutions and PC outrage metropolitan leftists.

In terms of the Swedish overton window, I'm a right-winger, in terms of American I'd probably be registered as an independent with slight leaning Northeast Republican. I certainly would never vote for the Democratic candidates in recent decades and certainly wouldn't like the Bushes either.

Having said that, Norway is not as socially liberal as you may think it is. There is a right-wing coalition in government, the country is extremely anti-EU in terms of its electorate and young Swedes migrating for work in Oslo are rather taken advantage of in service industries. I've also heard they'd close their border on us were we to suffer from any crisis...

As for the teenage pregnancy thing: if you're pastor says that you're going to hell if you use a condom... that's the likely end result. I think people in Lib states are just better at using contraceptions and that causes that difference...
your pastor* That's the only language error of any kind I have ever seen in any post by you.

I have a similar position on organized religion, but less so - I think having a preference for irreligious people in an immigration policy is discrimination based on religious affiliation. Religion is fine on its own, but any religion in government whatsoever will almost immediately lead to problems (looking at you, Saudi Arabia).

And the $13 pizza is the one big problem with Norway. Free education, but at the cost of affordability of everything else.

Last edited by Saritra; 10-07-2016 at 01:20 PM..

Old 10-07-2016, 12:18 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,790,340 times
I'm a centrist liberal but Sweden is going down the drain with all this PC 'folkhemmet' crap. A shame that our big brother is a laughing stock of Finns and Danes these days.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:55 PM

Haha yeah Sweden is a joke. It's just a shame I'm stuck in it.

As for the grammar error, I edited the sentence I was going to write and simply forgot. Of course it is "your". I knew that in fourth grade

As for discrimination, I am in favour of freedom of association. That's the problem with any discrimination laws that they counter against any natural freedom of who you want to be with, talk to et cetera. If a country is as secular in Sweden, I for one can't understand the mass importation of religious people in the last 30 years. When we for once had built a secular utopia we ruined it immediately because of them PC loons in South Stockholm.

The reason I am under the radar on Swedish-speaking sites is because the media are coming after any persons with opposing viewpoints. Heck, I have no problems with "brown people". I just happen to have a problem with religious loons regardless of ethnicity. It's a soft authoritarianism inspired by cultural marxism. It's horrible. So Saritra, have no illusions about Scandinavia. Sweden is just worst off.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:56 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,594,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donar View Post
RWood: old affluent man, probably a professor. Always precise and scruntinising in his posts.
Guajara: in his 20s, of Spanish ancestry and probably quite reserved. Prefers facts over opinion.
Jakobsli: middle aged man, happy with his life, approachable person.
Note quite as affluent as most would like to be ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.