Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2016, 02:20 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
There is no possible way that anyone could ever like cold and snow, or form a civilization there. No possible way!! Do people not become depressed over the "brutal" -2 C highs?

If you like cold and snow, it's probably because you're a fat slob, and are just flat out wrong. Your preferences are wrong.

The quality of life of a place is purely based on what subtropical species you can grow there. That is a fact.
The sarcasm is strong with this one Master Yoda lol

Old 10-07-2016, 02:22 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,364,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
The sarcasm is strong with this one Master Yoda lol
Lol you got it champ.

Old 10-07-2016, 02:22 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post
NZ #4? Ha!

Strange that Iceland isn't in that top ten, but top lists are always complete nonsense anyways.
Yep, should be #1

Old 10-07-2016, 02:24 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
It's like if you look at the US, the fattest/poorest/most violent states are the southern ones. My theory is that a) the hot weather makes people lazy, they spend all day frying chicken and lying on a hammock, and b) the hot weather makes people very angry and frustrated so they end up killing people.

Old 10-07-2016, 02:26 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,597,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Well, maybe I'll pack my bags and move to Finland before we leave the EU. Finns and Brits are both emotionless and quiet, so I think they'd get along okay. We also don't like standing next to strangers at the bus stop.
Finnish 'people' are weak against EMP though.

Old 10-07-2016, 02:26 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,505,587 times
I think borders should open at a large between Scandinavia/Finland, Holland, Germany, Austria, the UK and Ireland with tight controls around it. Common heritage, mostly common languages and against EU federalism. In general I love Brits and the Irish and also probably Australia and New Zealand as well. Great people. It's the Romance political culture of corruption coupled with the influx of Eastern low-wage migrants that is breaking the harmony apart, not the common bond between the Germanic peoples of which the Sweden Finns are a part. Unfortunately as it is it was done wrongly and the countries will never be the same again. Humanity is screwed in all honesty. We've given tons of money to the very worst people (Saudi Arabian oil money and Chinese communist pimps) and are now held hostage and paying the price for the greed of the few.

The problem with this Europe thing-y is that too many countries got involved. An EU between the countries I mentioned would've worked just fine.

Old 10-07-2016, 02:27 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,364,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
It's like if you look at the US, the fattest/poorest/most violent states are the southern ones. My theory is that a) the hot weather makes people lazy, they spend all day frying chicken and lying on a hammock, and b) the hot weather makes people very angry and frustrated so they end up killing people.
I used to think that too, but I think it has more to do with higher rates of poverty and poor education. If you think about it, a "typical" southern climate (say, Jackson MS) is really only hot from May-September. What's the excuse the other seven months? lol.

I do somewhat agree with you though. I think excessive heat may cause more anger or violence.

Old 10-07-2016, 02:29 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
I think borders should open at a large between Scandinavia/Finland, Holland, Germany, Austria, the UK and Ireland with tight controls around it. Common heritage, mostly common languages and against EU federalism. In general I love Brits and the Irish and also probably Australia and New Zealand as well. Great people. It's the Romance political culture of corruption coupled with the influx of Eastern low-wage migrants that is breaking the harmony apart, not the common bond between the Germanic peoples of which the Sweden Finns are a part. Unfortunately as it is it was done wrongly and the countries will never be the same again. Humanity is screwed in all honesty. We've given tons of money to the very worst people (Saudi Arabian oil money and Chinese communist pimps) and are now held hostage and paying the price for the greed of the few.

The problem with this Europe thing-y is that too many countries got involved. An EU between the countries I mentioned would've worked just fine.
I think most Brits would value open borders with France above those other countries. There's a lot of travel between the UK and France. The UK is a Germanic country that isn't really Germanic and France is a Romance country that isn't really Romance. Our populations, GDP and armies are nearly equal in size. The way I look at - they are like siblings, they have a lot in common but squabble occasionally, but in all honesty I'd say it's one of our greatest allies.

And I have nothing against the Spaniards or Italians, either. There are a lot of them living here and they do no harm to anyone.

Old 10-07-2016, 02:30 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,043,189 times
Quote:
I think excessive heat may cause more anger or violence.
Maybe not just excessive heat, but any persistent physical discomfort. I find that I get angry much more easily when I am in pain.

Old 10-07-2016, 02:32 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,505,587 times
Quote:
I used to think that too, but I think it has more to do with higher rates of poverty and poor education. If you think about it, a "typical" southern climate (say, Jackson MS) is really only hot from May-September. What's the excuse the other seven months? lol.

I do somewhat agree with you though. I think excessive heat may cause more anger or violence.
It's a cocktail between the hot temps, excessive religious social cohesion in terms of education, and also somewhat genetic in terms of overweight I think. The south has a very large Afro American population for obvious reasons and they are quite bulky to begin with? In other words a larger risk of being overweight.

Then again there are some areas of the south doing very well in spite of the climate. Aren't the metro areas of Texas (at least some of them) very rich in comparison to many other places? I do however think there is a divide between Texas outdoor farming culture and the laid-back NASCAR-watching beer-drinking Alabama one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather