U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Tristan da Cunha or Edinburgh?
Tristan da Cunha 16 57.14%
Edinburgh 12 42.86%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-11-2016, 06:06 PM
 
Location: Sydney, Australia
11,356 posts, read 9,856,192 times
Reputation: 6004

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritra View Post
I prefer Edinburgh for more seasonality and variability. Tristan da Cunha would be nice in terms of never needing any heating or cooling for your house, though.
I think you would definitely need some heating for those ubiquitous wet, 14C days.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-11-2016, 06:23 PM
 
Location: Foreignorland 58 N, 17 E.
5,600 posts, read 2,665,442 times
Reputation: 986
I'd prefer to inhabit Tristan's smaller neighbor Nightingale Island though

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nighti...Island#Climate
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2016, 06:33 PM
 
126 posts, read 71,155 times
Reputation: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
I'd prefer to inhabit Tristan's smaller neighbor Nightingale Island though

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nighti...Island#Climate
The record highs are obviously BS, there is no way a tiny island at that latitude thousands of miles from land can get to 36C. Skeptical of the summer average highs aswell.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2016, 06:47 PM
 
Location: Sydney, Australia
11,356 posts, read 9,856,192 times
Reputation: 6004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beercoholism View Post
The record highs are obviously BS, there is no way a tiny island at that latitude thousands of miles from land can get to 36C. Skeptical of the summer average highs aswell.
How hot is the Namib desert btw? I know the coast is rather cool, but what about the inland areas? Perhaps the hot air from the Southern African desert somehow reaches the island?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2016, 07:14 PM
 
126 posts, read 71,155 times
Reputation: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
How hot is the Namib desert btw? I know the coast is rather cool, but what about the inland areas? Perhaps the hot air from the Southern African desert somehow reaches the island?
It can't.There is far too much ocean between them so will be greatly cooled before it ever reaches the island.

As an example, the northern coast of Tasmania rarely ever exceeds 30C even on hot northerly days, and that's only 200km of water seperating it from the heat source.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2016, 10:08 PM
 
3,218 posts, read 2,550,750 times
Reputation: 1060
Tristan da Cunha is the lesser of the two evils. Edinburgh has gotten over 77F/25C while Tristan never has (my criteria for minimal temperature for true warmth) but it doesn't make up for the far cooler averages overall.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2016, 10:10 PM
 
Location: Norman, OK
2,841 posts, read 1,515,008 times
Reputation: 868
Edinburgh. They're both terrible but I may as well choose the one with some sort of winter.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2016, 12:03 AM
 
Location: Broward County, FL
16,199 posts, read 9,546,999 times
Reputation: 3530
Quote:
Originally Posted by srfoskey View Post
Edinburgh. They're both terrible but I may as well choose the one with some sort of winter.
Pretty much this.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2016, 02:51 AM
 
Location: Foreignorland 58 N, 17 E.
5,600 posts, read 2,665,442 times
Reputation: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beercoholism View Post
The record highs are obviously BS, there is no way a tiny island at that latitude thousands of miles from land can get to 36C. Skeptical of the summer average highs aswell.
It looks a bit extreme but it's worth noting some things:

1, Tristan's weather station is at its exposed northern side, Nightingale at the sheltered southern side.

2, There are several islands surrounding Nightingale.

3, Tristan's warmest temps are said to occur at the same sheltered south-easterly side where the low-pressure systems don't hit with the same force.

4, Funchal, Madeira, albeit nearer the equator has hit 38.5 C at its sheltered side.

So yeah as for the record highs, it's doubtful, but the summer highs certainly aren't unrealistic if there's a batch of warm waters pushed northwards from the roaring 40's. According to Wiki, Nightingale is a favourite 'holiday home' for Tristanians, which would indicate it being warmer if true.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2016, 03:58 AM
 
126 posts, read 71,155 times
Reputation: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
It looks a bit extreme but it's worth noting some things:

1, Tristan's weather station is at its exposed northern side, Nightingale at the sheltered southern side.
If anything, the southern side should be worse as it lies directly exposed to the cold southerlies. But with an island as tiny as Nightingale with only minimal elevation, it won't make much difference. The station is probably incorrectly sited in a cove or gully out of the wind or something or the instruments inadequately protected against solar radiation.

Quote:
2, There are several islands surrounding Nightingale.
Doesn't make a difference, those islands are literally microscopic in size.

Quote:
3, Tristan's warmest temps are said to occur at the same sheltered south-easterly side where the low-pressure systems don't hit with the same force.
Tristan is a bigger island with a 2000m volcano, which likely offers some degree of protection. Nightingale on the other hand is tiny and only rises to 350m so there is no real protection, so highly doubtful the temps will be any warmer in the southeast vs the north. Wind crossing 3km of land isn't going to warm up any great deal...

Quote:
4, Funchal, Madeira, albeit nearer the equator has hit 38.5 C at its sheltered side.
Madeira is much bigger, lower latitude, sits in warmer waters and is much closer to a much bigger and hotter source of heat. Plus Madeira has large mountains so there is the potential for foehn events.

Quote:
So yeah as for the record highs, it's doubtful, but the summer highs certainly aren't unrealistic if there's a batch of warm waters pushed northwards from the roaring 40's. According to Wiki, Nightingale is a favourite 'holiday home' for Tristanians, which would indicate it being warmer if true.
Record highs = no chance. The avg summer highs are suspect IMO for such a tiny island for the reasons I outlined above. There is another island nearby at 40S called Gough which has its station on the SE coast and only averages 17C in summer. Going from 17 to nearly 25C in 3* of latitude on a much smaller island seems unlikely. I reckon the station on Nightingale may be poorly sited or is not correctly set up against solar radiation.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top