U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tristan da Cunha or Edinburgh?
Tristan da Cunha 16 57.14%
Edinburgh 12 42.86%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 10:25 AM

12,463 posts, read 7,405,582 times

Advertisements

According to this:
https://www.researchgate.net/publica...esaw_in_action

Nightingale Island has no weather station...

Quote:
Climate observations do not exist from Nightingale Island, but a climate station was erected in the 1940s on Tristan da Cunha and has been running sporadically since then. The climate of the Island group can be characterized as moist and temperate, with a mean annual temperature at sea-level of 14.3C and very small seasonal variations. The extreme daily maximum is 23C and the extreme daily minimum is 3C. At sea level temperatures never fall below freezing
There is no source for the weather averages & extremes either, just linking to a book which I can find no trace of actually existing lol...

So I'm calling BS on the whole climate box
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 11:36 AM

5,600 posts, read 2,665,442 times
Re the weather station, who knows really? There's hardly any internet access at Tristan either so difficult to ask

Those people most likely still live like the Amish...

Old 10-12-2016, 01:12 PM

1,916 posts, read 1,141,051 times
Edinburgh because it is more variable temperature wise than TdC. Both climates are horrible though.

Old 10-12-2016, 01:15 PM

18,618 posts, read 16,232,992 times
TDC for me -so much warmer.

Old 10-12-2016, 01:18 PM

1,292 posts, read 833,068 times
That Nightingale Island weather box looks kind of like something that would be found in north NZ.

Old 10-12-2016, 05:13 PM

126 posts, read 71,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
According to this:

There is no source for the weather averages & extremes either, just linking to a book which I can find no trace of actually existing lol...

In that case, the Nightingale climate box is 100% BS. Forgot to mention how the average summer highs are warmer than the records on Tristan. Total BS.

Old 10-12-2016, 05:28 PM

2,605 posts, read 1,970,351 times
Quote:
According to this:

That is weird.

And to think that Nightingale Island had a fairly appealing climate. I would hate for this climate box to be BS. But when I was comparing it to Tristan Da Cunha a few weeks ago I also noted inconsistencies between the islands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritra View Post
That Nightingale Island weather box looks kind of like something that would be found in north NZ.
I don't know about north NZ. There's no Mediterranean climate in this part of NZ even if temperatures are close. But this does bring up a question, if these figures aren't for Nightingale Island where exactly did they come from?

Old 10-12-2016, 05:56 PM

12,463 posts, read 7,405,582 times
I don't know if it is possible from the edit section to see who originally made the climate box? Then perhaps ask that user where they got the info from?? (as the source states a book which doesn't seem to exist). I think it is either completely made up averages/extremes or they copied another climate box & changed the name lol...

Old 10-12-2016, 07:51 PM

126 posts, read 71,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
That is weird.

And to think that Nightingale Island had a fairly appealing climate. I would hate for this climate box to be BS. But when I was comparing it to Tristan Da Cunha a few weeks ago I also noted inconsistencies between the islands.

I don't know about north NZ. There's no Mediterranean climate in this part of NZ even if temperatures are close. But this does bring up a question, if these figures aren't for Nightingale Island where exactly did they come from?
Someone probably made them up. To give further weight to the fact that the Nightingale data is BS, there is another island called Gough Island, located about 300km SSE of Tristan at around 40*S. Their summer average highs are only 17C.

Old 10-12-2016, 08:16 PM

2,841 posts, read 1,515,008 times
Quote:
I don't know if it is possible from the edit section to see who originally made the climate box? Then perhaps ask that user where they got the info from?? (as the source states a book which doesn't seem to exist). I think it is either completely made up averages/extremes or they copied another climate box & changed the name lol...
Whoever created it doesn't have an account. It's just the IP address: 95.150.233.236.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather