Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2020, 05:50 PM

2,227 posts, read 1,403,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
My fantasy/delusional stance is for Indianapolis and much of the lower Midwest to become subtropical or at least warm temperate transitional in climate.....
Indianapolis is already classified as a transitional subtropical climate though. So is Trenton, NJ. Although I’d argue the winters in central Indiana and New Jersey can be quite severe, with average lows below freezing for 4 months a year. My parents tried growing a banana tree in New Jersey and it failed because the growing season was way too short. OTOH, my relative in Houston has a pretty large banana tree that can bear tasty fruit:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indianapolis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2020, 06:47 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenI69 View Post
Indianapolis is already classified as a transitional subtropical climate though. So is Trenton, NJ. Although I’d argue the winters in central Indiana and New Jersey can be quite severe, with average lows below freezing for 4 months a year. My parents tried growing a banana tree in New Jersey and it failed because the growing season was way too short. OTOH, my relative in Houston has a pretty large banana tree that can bear tasty fruit:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indianapolis
That's only if you use Koppen's -3°C threshold, which is garbage. A true subtropical climate shouldn't have a coldest month below 6°C. Between 0°C and 6°C for coldest month is a transition zone, and below 0°C is definitely continental

Old 06-06-2020, 11:21 PM

1,224 posts, read 723,601 times
A touchy topic for sure...lol lots of different preferences ( naturally )
I think most of us come to terms with being 'aclimatised' to where we live.... might not like it per say but get used to it and put up with it.
Me ? 40 years in a Darwin ....Koppen Aw ( I used to think we were Am, but no, not enough 'dry season 'rain ) and no intention of living anywhere else.
Most residents have a love / hate relationship with the climate....extreme brutal DP's, torrential rain, then 5 months of total dry / drought.
So here i am typing away in June, a winter month in the Southern Hemisphere, in bare feet and a singlet, current temp 31.5c, ( while the southern areas of the continent are shivering and rugged up for an Aussie winter ) Just about perfect after a nice 20c minimum. No rain in the forecast until.....about October....haha.
But we do suffer from Tropical Cyclones ( not fun ), violent thunderstorms and flooding rains in the 'Wet Season'
I like the Northern Australian climate just for the contrasts between Wet and Dry....lush and green then dry and barren.
Darwin has never recorded a temp above 39c ( Airport ) nor below 10c, although only 30 miles inland they get above 40c during the Build Up ( to the Wet ) and below 5c on the coldest of mornings.
Its a horrible climate, but its also pretty good....haha.
I have worked in nearly every climatic region in Australia, and every State and Territory.
The Pilbara deserts ( Iron Ore regions ) are brutally hot ( a 49.4c day at Roebourne in Dec 2011 was the stand out, and some 47's and 48's at Onslow. But in their winter months I suffered from the cold ( approaching ground frosts at Newman ), a cold wet day only 12c at Yandicoogina was bad for me ( not dressed for it ).
The Murray Valley down south....weeks and weeks of dry heat in the 40's, your lips crack and skin gets flaky. Then a cold front comes through and its only 19c the next day or so then back to the heat again.
Perth in winter, a Mediterranean climate....anytime I'm there in winter it rains...like every day....windy cold rain.
Did a job in January in Hobart, cool and mild except one day it got to 38c and the UV's were so extreme... worst sunburn ever ! And walked Cradle Mountain between Xmas/New Year....8c and a cold icy rain...in Summer ( and flew back to +43c Pilbara heat a few days later... that was tough !
Want good old fashioned 4 seasons of weather in Australia ! my recommendations are Cooma, Wagga Wagga, Orange, Mildura, Narracoorte, Toowoomba, Ballarat, Albany ( although Albany has the 4 seasons in one day all year round...lol )Katanning, Esperance, Alice Springs.....
There are lots of others of course....
So after all that, some of the most equable climes are on the East Coast from say Nowra NSW right up to near Bundaburg QLD. Rarely suffer extremes of either heat or cold ( at least on the coast ) although desert and inland heat does sometimes push onto the coasts. Usually ample rainfall means the regions are lush and green ( except for the drought of 2018-2019 and subsequent fires.
Coastal WA from say Mandurah north to Carnarvon is also nice, although again extreme heat can occur right to the coast. and very very windy, especially in the winter months. Winters are wetter and generally mild.
I've worked on both Norfolk Island and Lord Howe Island....look them up climatically....very very equable, generous rainfall and no extremes of heat or cold.

Old 06-07-2020, 09:24 AM

5,194 posts, read 1,872,370 times
It can all very much be summed up in a simple wiki style climate box

Below is my perfect climate.

Mild, dry sunny winters with cool nights.
Mild, but humid summers with comfortable temperatures and all rain from thunderstorms or showers, NO frontal rain.

This climate won't exist in real life possible, not sure.

Old 06-07-2020, 09:50 AM

4,512 posts, read 5,054,158 times
"As a rule, man's a fool ,

when it's hot, he wants it cool.
And when it's cool,
he wants it hot.
And what it is,
he wants it not."

Old 06-07-2020, 10:44 AM

366 posts, read 243,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman Resu VIII View Post
It can all very much be summed up in a simple wiki style climate box

Below is my perfect climate.

Mild, dry sunny winters with cool nights.
Mild, but humid summers with comfortable temperatures and all rain from thunderstorms or showers, NO frontal rain.

This climate won't exist in real life possible, not sure.
Many tropical and subtropical highland places have this climate. Mexico City, Addis Ababa, Cusco, Thimphu to name a few.

Old 06-07-2020, 10:51 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaheenHassan View Post
Many tropical and subtropical highland places have this climate. Mexico City, Addis Ababa, Cusco, Thimphu to name a few.
Looks more like somewhere in highland Central America. Mexico City is warmer than that in winter (for high temps at least)

Old 06-07-2020, 12:38 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
My climate preferences are met by the combination of two simple requirements - must be warm enough for citrus, but be close (within an hour drive) to skiing on the mountains in winter.

Old 06-07-2020, 02:15 PM

189 posts, read 117,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
My climate preferences are met by the combination of two simple requirements - must be warm enough for citrus, but be close (within an hour drive) to skiing on the mountains in winter.
California is the only place I could possibly see meet this requirement..

Old 06-07-2020, 02:21 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,881,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Phoenix might be an honorable mention... as Flagstaff is a two hour drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather