Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 12:43 PM

2,850 posts, read 1,970,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder98 View Post
That's below sea level so it doesn't count.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 02:04 PM

607 posts, read 649,007 times
Chongqing, absolutely. I've mentioned that horrible excuse for a climate before; it simply has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. It's just cloudy, cool and boring in winter, never snows, never warm enough to feel truly subtropical- and by all accounts it's so polluted that it's dangerous (I'm sure the weather has a part to play in this: cloudy, calm, dry weather traps pollutants). Then there is no spring or Autumn to speak of, just a flip from that to buckets of rain and stifling humidity, and it's still very cloudy for the latitude. Sunny, dry weather seems not to exist there.

East Asia has some real horrors: Hanoi is atrocious for its latitude, Taipei as well. At least the cold winter climates in North China/Korea/Siberia have decent sunshine totals, even if you have to go incredibly far north (the 50s) to lose the wet summers. Outside Asia, Malabo in Equatorial Guinea is a shocker.

Old 10-24-2016, 02:33 PM

1,350 posts, read 1,367,437 times
My vote is for the cities in India mentioned early, especially Madurai and Nellore, or Chongqing depending on whether we consider factors like pollution.

I think Chongqing is naturally prone to tremendous fog and humidity, but there is also large-scale pollution of air and water. The only time I was there was in March so that was the "nice" time of year and the air was thick with a fog of pollution/moisture because it was sticky-humid even then.

El Centro/Yuma are typical hot, arid climates, but in a United States context, living there would be annoying because they get all the monsoonal humidity but only a fraction of the monsoonal rain that most areas impacted by the monsoon receive. It must be so frustrating to live there and see it raining in Tucson or Phoenix and once again cloudy humid and no rain in the Imperial Valley/Colorado River Valley. Additionally they have issues with pollution, dust, and most especially air quality given all the agriculture; If I recall the LA Times did a good article on all the children there with asthma/breathing issues; highest rate in the nation IIRC.

Imperial received 0.00" in June-July-August this year. We're nearly ten full months into the year, and they have only received ANY rain at all in January, April and October. That's pretty dreary if you ask me.

Old 10-24-2016, 03:23 PM

87 posts, read 64,608 times
mecca

Old 10-24-2016, 03:53 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,274,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post
Dear Christ, I've forgotten about this place. It seems to be just under 500m too so it qualifies

I always see it get smashed with every cold front, and the winter months look miserable, even for me. And having recorded a high of 8.5°C in December, no thanks.
Dear Christ, is this the sister city of Christ Church, NZ?

Old 10-24-2016, 03:56 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
Dear Christ, is this the sister city of Christ Church, NZ?

No city called Christ Church, in NZ, but there is a Christchurch.

Weeaproianh seems rather unremarkable considering it's nearly 500 metres above sea level -those minimums are actually really mild. The only thing particularly bad about it, are the 187 days of rain- a bit more than Christchurch's 83 days of rain.

Old 10-24-2016, 06:39 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,274,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post

Weeaproianh seems rather unremarkable considering it's nearly 500 metres above sea level -those minimums are actually really mild. The only thing particularly bad about it, are the 187 days of rain- a bit more than Christchurch's 83 days of rain.

Ah, touché! Christchurch, NewZealand, is what I meant...

Old 10-24-2016, 07:36 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,050,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
What a disastrous climate
I like your screen name. Warszawa is a nice city: acceptable climate.

Now how's this for disastrous though: Dammam, Saudi Arabia (metro area = 4 million +)

Old 10-24-2016, 09:07 PM

171 posts, read 133,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post

The "mild" lows are a symptom of its extreme cloudiness. The highs are the problem, and when you combine them with the lows (which despite being "mild" for the elevation, are not in any sense or shape warm) and the omnipresent cloud, you have one ass of a climate. The 187 days of rain are for >1mm, there are actually 231 days with measurable precipitation.

Old 10-25-2016, 08:31 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
Visakhapatnam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather