Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 05:42 AM

3,586 posts, read 4,973,576 times

Advertisements

Mecca, Saudi Arabia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 07:18 AM

520 posts, read 781,917 times
If we are talking climate only, all of you saying Mecca have obviously never been to Yuma, AZ with a mean in the 100/110s from April through October. I spent months in Bahrain with hops deep into Saudi and time in Hurgada, Egypt. Not as bad as Yuma, winters are decent but the Summer is long and brutal. Yes, it is a winter agricultural center (along with Imperial Valley, CA - i.e. El Centro) but that is only because of draining the Colorado River with irrigation canals which reduce the river to a creek by the time it crosses into Mexico.

Old 10-24-2016, 08:08 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyVaquero View Post
If we are talking climate only, all of you saying Mecca have obviously never been to Yuma, AZ with a mean in the 100/110s from April through October. I spent months in Bahrain with hops deep into Saudi and time in Hurgada, Egypt. Not as bad as Yuma, winters are decent but the Summer is long and brutal. Yes, it is a winter agricultural center (along with Imperial Valley, CA - i.e. El Centro) but that is only because of draining the Colorado River with irrigation canals which reduce the river to a creek by the time it crosses into Mexico.
Correction, Yuma's normal high is 100° or higher from June 3rd through September 26th, and further, their normal high tops out at 108° from June 28th through July 16th. Only Needles, Bullhead City/Laughlin and Death Valley achieve a normal high 110°+.

Even Death Valley only has a normal high 100°+ from May 11th through September 30th

Old 10-24-2016, 08:29 AM

5,601 posts, read 3,504,858 times
Mecca, Kuwait City or Massawa, Eritrea (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massawa#Climate)

Very hard to pick one, but I'm sure the humidity in Massawa is unbearable.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:04 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,325,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Correction, Yuma's normal high is 100° or higher from June 3rd through September 26th, and further, their normal high tops out at 108° from June 28th through July 16th. Only Needles, Bullhead City/Laughlin and Death Valley achieve a normal high 110°+.

Even Death Valley only has a normal high 100°+ from May 11th through September 30th
Pero like isnt it dry heat? The heat around the Red Sea is very humid and nasty probably.

Old 10-24-2016, 11:04 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Pero like isnt it dry heat? The heat around the Red Sea is very humid and nasty probably.
Yuma in July and August occasionally gets "gulf surges" from the Gulf of California (which has a 90° surface temp in August) that will send dewpoints into the 70's for a few days, but other than that, yes, dry heat

Old 10-24-2016, 11:16 AM

18,491 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Big Spring, TX, USA.

Old 10-24-2016, 11:25 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,568,281 times
All of these places sound like Birmingham, AL

That said, we are currently in a typical fall dry pattern, before the humidity cranks up again in November. But, as you'd guess, the temps are way cooler in Nov-Dec-Jan-Feb, so the humid conditions are not as noticeable. That old Gulf of Mexico typically keeps a sauna turned on us. And speaking of our fall dry patter, Birmingham airport is on it's 37th consecutive day without measurable rainfall. dew points have been running under 50!!!! As a fan of sunny and dry weather, this has suited me beautifully. reminds me of the wonderful southern california climate. A place that, ironically, it rained just yesterday (sunday Oct 23).

Old 10-24-2016, 11:40 AM

5,271 posts, read 4,680,097 times
Any tropical climate.

Old 10-24-2016, 11:49 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,806,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
All of these places sound like Birmingham, AL

That said, we are currently in a typical fall dry pattern, before the humidity cranks up again in November. But, as you'd guess, the temps are way cooler in Nov-Dec-Jan-Feb, so the humid conditions are not as noticeable. That old Gulf of Mexico typically keeps a sauna turned on us. And speaking of our fall dry patter, Birmingham airport is on it's 37th consecutive day without measurable rainfall. dew points have been running under 50!!!! As a fan of sunny and dry weather, this has suited me beautifully. reminds me of the wonderful southern california climate. A place that, ironically, it rained just yesterday (sunday Oct 23).
While you might be loving the sunny, dry weather, the people dealing with the fires and water restrictions due to the extreme drought are probably not.

Personally I hate the climate in Birmingham and can't wait until I can move somewhere cooler. The summers are long and miserable, fall and spring are short to non-existent and the "winter" is a laugh.

In regards to the worst climate, Mecca probably takes the winner's spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather