Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 01:29 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,685,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
I guess it is because other than Shanghai, the other cities endure much shorter cold days in winter, though at many times unbearable. So cost wise, it is not worth to install a central heating system in the entire building.

For China, there is an across the board policy that for those cities located south of a certain river, there will be no central heating. And Shanghai is located just south of that line.
Soooooo, what is one expected to do? Just freeze inside all winter long for your entire existance? I just couldn't imagine such a dumb, arbitrary "rule" saying "south of this river, no heat"..... Makes zero sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2016, 02:34 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,790,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Soooooo, what is one expected to do? Just freeze inside all winter long for your entire existance? I just couldn't imagine such a dumb, arbitrary "rule" saying "south of this river, no heat"..... Makes zero sense.
Since when has China made any sense at all?

Old 10-28-2016, 02:52 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,501,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritra View Post
I've noticed this mistake a few times...hopefully this will help.

eu sou = I am
tu es = you are
ele/ela é = he/she is

nós somos = we are
vos sois/vocês são = you are (singular and plural are the same in English second person)
eles/elas são = they are
Are you a Portuguese American or just a language-crazy person Saritra?

Old 10-28-2016, 02:58 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,143,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I guess they use the portable heaters.

Old 10-28-2016, 03:52 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,042,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
Are you a Portuguese American or just a language-crazy person Saritra?
I like languages and I like helping people, hence that post.
To answer your question: No, I'm not Portuguese-American (my heritage is mostly Irish and Native American, in case you were wondering). I know nothing about Portuguese other than that it sounds like a Russian trying to speak Spanish, I just looked up those conjugations to help ghost-likin because I had noticed the is/are mistake a few times.

Old 10-29-2016, 10:22 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,404,486 times
Hanoi has very cool winters for its latitude.. Crazy to imagine as I was there only last week and it was still 32C/24C by day/night... The weather pattern for winter must shift quickly

Old 10-29-2016, 11:11 AM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,003,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritra View Post
I've noticed this mistake a few times...hopefully this will help.

eu sou = I am
tu es = you are
ele/ela é = he/she is

nós somos = we are
vos sois/vocês são = you are (singular and plural are the same in English second person)
eles/elas são = they are
Thanks,sometimes I really write some wrong words,but im always trying to improve my english,this forum helped me a lot.

Old 10-29-2016, 11:44 AM

855 posts, read 771,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
If it stops flowing it'll still have mild winters for it's latitude since it's on the western facing side of a continent.
Exactly. People don't seem to realize that the #1 determinant of climate, aside from latitude, is that air masses generally flow west to east. If you are on the west coast of a continent, you're getting mild oceanic air. If you're in the interior or east coast of a continent, you're getting continental air (cold in the winter, hot in the summer). If it's a huge supercontinent like Eurasia, the effect is even more pronounced.

All the other factors mentioned (Gulf Stream, Siberian High, etc. etc.) are like minor nuances.

Old 10-29-2016, 11:49 AM

855 posts, read 771,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Eastern parts of a continent are usually (relatively) cooler and wetter than the west.

Eurasia is one example. Others are North America, Australia and South America.
Not exactly. They can be much hotter in the summer. They're simply more continental than west coast climates. Hot humid summers and cold dry winters are the norm for eastern climates, depending on latitude of course.

Old 10-30-2016, 04:17 PM

997 posts, read 709,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post
When? Winter? During the last ice age?

I'm sure it's quite cold in winter, but the water is warm for a good 6 months of the year. Even longer if your threshold is lower than mine.

Badly worded post.

Smarty Pants---Yes I mean what I say the water was ice cold at all 3 locations and rather presumptuous of you to criticize my experience. I was there this past July 2016 with a travel group. None of us could stand it--- the water was freezing. We were told this was quite normal for Crete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather